What exactly makes Macs so supposedly brilliant at media editing?

The best way to answer you question is to try a mac yourself.

Try photoshop on a mac (most Apple store can let you play with a mac)...and then try the same spec a windows version of photoshop.

I mostly stay neutral about which one is better. I think it is more a "get used to it"senario.

I'm a mac user for a few years now, I was /am a windows user too, and I like photoshop on mac much better.

Yes ppl say the color quality etc is better, it's just I may have got used to photopshop with mac , then with the one on pc.

I love the color of mac more then the color quality on windows (because I print a lot of photoshop and I see the different).

For me that is it, but also, the OS itself lets you do more then with windows (I can't say about windows 7)....

It is all hype. Macs now have the same hardware architecture that PCs due but some might say it is software on a Mac not available on Windows. Really, it is just a stereotype about the Mac. Does anyone know if the Power PC Macs structure made graphic design any better on that hardware vs PCs with x86 processors?

As Already covered, it mainly comes from historical association. Back in the day Macs were the tool for anything graphic/video related.

Hardware was more suited for it and the apps were all mainly mac based.

Now we have oodles of power available on any PC or Mac so the Hardware resaons are no longer valid.

Things like CS4 are avaiable on both platforms. so that also is no longer valid.

However, if you take apps such as Final Cut and Logic, they do a lot of things that, in the windows world will require several apps or plugins.

I have friends that think the opposite and prefer windows for editing, ultimately it only comes down to what you prefer.