Symptoms if USB Legacy Support is Disabled in BIOS

McoreD

Hi,

Article here http://www.intel.com/support/peripherals/s...39.htm#symptoms discusses Symptoms if USB Legacy Support is Disabled.

If USB Legacy Support is disabled in the BIOS, you will not be able to use your USB mouse or keyboard in any of the following situations:

* Running your computer in Safe mode.

* Using a Windows Startup menu.

* Starting your computer in MS-DOS mode (instead of opening a MS-DOS session from Windows).

* Starting your computer from a floppy disk or leaving a floppy disk in the drive when you turn on or restart your computer.

* Windows "blue screen" errors that ask you to "Press any key to continue".

* Responding to ScanDisk and other messages during the start-up sequence.

* Editing or upgrading the BIOS.

* Entering a BIOS password.

I was wondering why can't they manufacture USB Keyboards / Mouses that *do not* depend on legacy USB support? Is this impossible to do?

Thanks,

McoreD

+LogicalApex

An even more important question. What is the negative point of leaving it enabled?

The_Decryptor

I was wondering why can't they manufacture USB Keyboards / Mouses that *do not* depend on legacy USB support? Is this impossible to do?

USB keyboards and mice are different to old keyboards and mice, the legacy support option makes the computer treat them as the same thing.

The maker of the keyboard can't do anything about it, since it's up to the host computer.

MS Bob 10
An even more important question. What is the negative point of leaving it enabled?

In the good old days when you booted to DOS, keeping it enabled left you with less free conventional memory.

+LogicalApex
My PC suffers from this problem http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-68481-c...d-drv-connected that's why :(

Is there an option in your BIOS to control how your computer will emulate drives hooked to the USB port? Most have an option where it will treat anything bigger than 500 megs as a HD and etc. That might help you if you disabled that.

In the good old days when you booted to DOS, keeping it enabled left you with less free conventional memory.

Yea hard to believe we have reached a point where RAM is no longer a real issue :)

nullie

"legacy" USB support is needed to operate USB devices outside of the operating system where there is no driver or other software to support them.

The_Decryptor

When did people use USB devices with DOS?

USB didn't come around until the end of Win95, beginning of Win98.

McoreD
Is there an option in your BIOS to control how your computer will emulate drives hooked to the USB port? Most have an option where it will treat anything bigger than 500 megs as a HD and etc. That might help you if you disabled that.

My motherboard is http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...75pbz/index.htm I couldn't see such option.

At least now I understand what was really meant by "Legacy" USB Support. Doesn't look like that was something to with manufacturing USB 1.0 Keyboards.