General Public: Windows 7 sucks!

Here is my take on Windows 7.

First of all, I have used Vista for almost 2 years now. The fact is, I still dislike Vista. I was thinking of going back to XP but now there's Windows 7. So I will give it a try. Now let's move on to what I think about Windows 7.

People had asked me, and I told them that supposedly, it's Vista on steroid. I told them Windows 7 looks and feels are very similar to Vista 'cept that Windows 7 is much more stable (presumably). Told them that many of the computer tech-savvy been praising a lot about Windows 7. As for my personal reference on Windows 7, since I didn't have a decent system, I would prefer XP for now.

My system spec for the time being is:

Asus P5ND32-SLi 775, Pentium D 3.4Gz EMT64 + HyperThread 3GB of RAM and a Raptor. Yet I have a bit of tough time on processor's resource hog on Vista in comparison to XP.

Really? You hardly touched win7 and its not comparable with XP.

First of all, I have used Vista for almost 2 years now. The fact is, I still dislike Vista. I was thinking of going back to XP but now there's Windows 7. So I will give it a try. Now let's move on to what I think about Windows 7.

People had asked me, and I told them that supposedly, it's Vista on steroid. I told them Windows 7 looks and feels are very similar to Vista 'cept that Windows 7 is much more stable (presumably). Told them that many of the computer tech-savvy been praising a lot about Windows 7. As for my personal reference on Windows 7, since I didn't have a decent system, I would prefer XP for now.

Asus P5ND32-SLi 775, Pentium D 3.4Gz EMT64 + HyperThread 3GB of RAM and a Raptor. Yet I have a bit of tough time on processor's resource hog on Vista in comparison to XP.

what you think and what you know are two totally different things

you think a lot but know nothing since you actually haven't tried it

This repair guy isn't helping

Got a call from the Local YMCA, they ordered 2 new computers from Dell. They called their software vendor and he said the software will work on Windows 7.

I'm not in the business of buying or building new computer for customers, just setting them up and fixing them. So they called the other guy in town who sells computers. They mentioned to him that they were getting 2 new computers from dell or something like that. She said the computer place down town told her that "Windows 7 is crap and that they should go with windows XP"

Not quite sure why they called that guy because then she called me and told me they are going to have me come and set them up when they come in.

But she called me to double check about the windows 7 thing. She said she didn't think he new what he was talking about because she read so many good review about windows 7. I told her if the software vendor told you that the software that you depend on will run windows 7 then by all means get windows 7.

I hate guys like him.

LOL

Edited by warwagon

Got a call from the Local YMCA, they ordered 2 new computers from Dell. They called their software vendor and he said the software will work on Windows 7.

I'm not in the business of buying or building new computer for customers, just setting them up and fixing them. So they called the other guy in town who sells computers. They mentioned to him that they were getting 2 new computers from dell or something like that. She said the computer place down town told her that "Windows 7 is crap and that they should go with windows XP"

That's weird, but maybe that computer shop deals with a niche market that works better with XP. The hospital I have privileges at still runs the XP/IE6 combo. Try accessing the intranet with anything else and the system barfs. That's how it works in lots of businesses. Can you imagine the problems that would occur with a mixed-OS scenario in these places?

I don't know if that's so weird. The reality is that most computer users actually don't give a damn and aren't interested in paying a hundred bucks for something that will to them be a minor update to Vista (let's be realistic here). They upgrade when they buy a new computer.

Whilst your "minor update" point may be vaguely relevant as there aren't the largest number of differences between the two system the point is that the differences are all in the right places.

Windows Vista failed in multiple ways. But the biggest issues were with driver support, speed of general processing, disk transfer speeds and ease of networking.

The service packs that have been released since have fixed these issues somewhat but the problems still largely remain.

Windows 7 has made all these problems all but disappear. The operating system may look very similar but it feels completely different.

Although XP may run faster on old hardware it runs a lot slower than Windows 7 does on any newish hardware and doesn't require something fantastic to run. Add to that the numerous improvements in terms of feature and security enhancements that both 7 and Vista have made over XP and there really doesn't remain an argument to use XP over 7 on any new PC/Laptop (if Windows is your choice of OS that is).

The people saying they don't like Windows 7 generally are those with little or no knowledge of the fact. The BBC yesterday had some guy speaking about it on Radio 1 during the news. One of his comments was on how slow it was installing Windows 7. As someone who has had to install XP/2K3 countless times I can tell you for a fact it's the fastest Windows installation to date. The guy clearly had no idea and was comparing it to his installation of COD!

But it's because of people like this being allowed to voice opinion in a mass media way that the less informed will come up with and in turn pass onward there irrelevant opinions!

One final point is that a lot of average consumers may be upgrading their Windows Vista to 7 instead of doing a fresh install and you're never going to get the proper experience doing this. Upgrading OSes never ever has as favourable a result as a fresh install. Ever. (Unless we're talking Ubuntu ;))

Then there is the other computer place here in town.

When Windows 7 beta was released for download I went down to his shop to shoot the ****. (talk)

I was sitting across from him at his desk. At that point every techie had snagged a copy of windows 7 beta. I think I had it running on a test machine. So I asked him if he had downloaded and tested the new windows 7 yet and what he thought of it?

He looked at me with this face of "Ew". Then he said.... in a whinny voice "why? It's just vista'.

I was thinking..uh.... ok. Glad we had this little chat :laugh:

Edited by warwagon

I call fud. I just did a little test here in Windows 7:

1) Rebooted into the guest account

2) Rebooted back into my main account

3) All my files were still there.

So there's conclusive proof that it's nothing like OS X.

:p

That machine should run Windows 7 absolutely sweet.

My thought is that no one has any reason to continue using XP now that 7 is out. 7, in my experience and from the reviews i have seen, runs on hardware built for XP, as well if not better than XP itself.

I personally believe that MS saw people where not adopting Vista, because of it not being great on older hardware, so they designed 7 to work on old hardware as well as new, so that XP users have no reason to live in the past.

Here's the problem. I just took a stroll through Best Buy and saw an abundance of PC desktops already loaded with a plethora of bloatware and shovelware running 7. The array of display systems were already so bogged down and slow that I can imagine a first experience is sure to leave an impact.

The department store I work for has an electronics section where a few of my buddies are working. They have been having this Windows 7 promotion for the past week. Last night I was told that there have been 0 pre-orders and most customers that inquired about it had a negative view of it. He sais hes had quite a few customers coming in and claiming that Windows 7 is worse than Vista/XP. Theres even been a customer demanding the promotion cease due to "Microsoft blatantly copying OSX and just calling it 7".

Just out of curiosity, where are these people getting their information. The same thing happend with Vista BEFORE it was even revealed to the public. Like I know that all the tech savvy people like 7, most of them even liked Vista (havent met a computer enthusiast yet who has had problems with Vista), but then here come the others who don't even have legitimate access to the software, claiming its crap. Whats going on?

A lot of people are swaying away from big named department stores and going to mom and pop shops shopping locally. I work at a local computer repair shop this week has beeen nuts for pre orders for windows 7 its been crazy.

Here's the problem. I just took a stroll through Best Buy and saw an abundance of PC desktops already loaded with a plethora of bloatware and shovelware running 7. The array of display systems were already so bogged down and slow that I can imagine a first experience is sure to leave an impact.

unfortunately this seems like its always going to be a problem. regardless of what OS is around, the OEMs will always load tons of crap and the average user never gets to experience a clean windows install.

For the most part it's just people spreading things via word of mouth. Most of them have probably never actually sat down with the OS at all. I've noticed a lot of "average joe" people when they talk about technology are simply misinformed by their friends/coworkers/family/untrustworthy websites; and they turn right around and open their mouth spewing a dreadful mix of truths and misinformation to the next person they talk to about it. Instead of sitting down and doing their own personal research on the topic.

+1

Just like with politics

:)

Windows 7 will run exceptionally well on that era hardware especially with 3 GB of RAM. Unlike Vista, Win 7 is made to run on slower hardware because of the popularity of netbooks. I have personally put Win 7 on a single core Prescott P4 @ 2.8 GHZ and it runs as well as XP on that hardware.

I was sitting across from him at his desk. At that point every techie had snagged a copy of windows 7 beta. I think I had it running on a test machine. So I asked him if he had downloaded and tested the new windows 7 yet and what he thought of it?

He looked at me with this face of "Ew". Then he said.... in a whinny voice "why? It's just vista'.

These kind of techie guys are either too lazy to learn Vista because they've spent so long with XP, or they're spreading fear hoping that people will come to them with their shiny new 7 machines and ask "how much will it cost to put XP on this instead".

Whilst your "minor update" point may be vaguely relevant as there aren't the largest number of differences between the two system the point is that the differences are all in the right places.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the actual differences as such once you get beyond just scratching the surface, I'm talking about what they'll realistically be able to see when they sit down in front of their computer to just browse Facebook or whatever. I have both and they honestly don't feel that different on the surface. I'd have a hard time recommending it (with the price in mind) to people who barely even use their computers (compared to people on here). It's good, but is it $100 good, you know?