General Public: Windows 7 sucks!

this comment coming from the same guy that said

interesting..... *rubs chin*

I guess you didnt read the rest of my comment from a couple of weeks ago. I stated my reasons because of things I really liked in Vista, such as Dreamscapes and games.

Anyway, the store I work for, the target customer is actually 40+ married women, so we do not get many young or tech savvy customers. Our customers are some college students parents or retired folks. So yes, there is a limited demographic group that goes into our store, and this particular group so far, does not like Windows 7.

I guess you didnt read the rest of my comment from a couple of weeks ago. I stated my reasons because of things I really liked in Vista, such as Dreamscapes and games.

Anyway, the store I work for, the target customer is actually 40+ married women, so we do not get many young or tech savvy customers. Our customers are some college students parents or retired folks. So yes, there is a limited demographic group that goes into our store, and this particular group so far, does not like Windows 7.

thats interesting.. can you give us any hint as to which store it is?

And how many pre-orders for OSX did you get?....

And how many pre-orders for OSX did you get?....

You mean orders/purchases? I am not sure, I don't work in that department. Actually, I don't think we sell any Macs, just PC's which I personally think are outdated, compared to say BestBuy or Futureshop.

I work for The Bay if you guys really really really want to know.

For the last years I see that Apple-style blatant brainwashing really works. I see it in politics also. Countries attack some other countries while uttering blatant lies and somehow "the world" believes that.

Well... if people are so dumb I cannot blame Apple for using such tactics. Too tempting to pass.

I still remember those ridiculous rhetorics about QoS and even articles telling you cannot play pirated mp3s in Vista.

If anyone has been reading the comments to David Pogue's review on the New York Times, most of the most recommended comments went like this: "Windows 7 sucks, I am stick with XP, and when my XP computer finally dies, I am getting a Mac."

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www....ort=recommended

Sounds like there will always be dissenters.

That made me laugh, some of those people are calling Windows 7 overpriced and then in the next breath, is talking about how great the mac is. :D

Then you have these idiots

Windows XP maybe be ancient but it works and we can get the job done here at the office. At home, I have the misfortune of having Vista--nothing but trouble from the very beginning. I might upgrade to Windows 7 but I also might wait and just buy a new computer in 2010. If they offer XP, I will jump on it.

After treading all those comments, if Microsoft came out and said they discontinued windows xp tomorrow, i'd laugh my ass off.

Being forced to use Windows for work purposes caused me to search for the best alternative to Microsoft after my fourth virus explosion and the fifth time the registry was corrupted from installing and un-installing software for development. Windows 7 will not fix any of that.

I know, right? Because Windows 7 can't fix stupid..

While I can agree, that if you already have a system running windows XP or Vista, I don't really see any need for the average user to RUN out and buy 7. Not until Microsoft discontinues those other operating systems. BUT if you are buying a new computer, "For god ****ing sake, get Windows 7 over Windows XP"

Edited by warwagon

Wow, well done dude - you managed to spend 3 paragraphs saying absolutely nothing except you'd pick XP over 7. And what the hell?? I'm running Win 7 Ultimate on my poxy 2gig 1.4ghz laptop and it hums along perfectly. Either you're talking crap about "resource hog" with Vista (and thereby on 7), or you really don't know what you're doing with pcs.

Win 7 is an absolute joy and I've already been spreading the word at work today about it with folks geniuenly interested in seeing what it can do. Get it, and get rid of XP.

Don't be too obsessed with one-side view. My opinion was moderated to be as neutral as I can. I did not favor XP over Windows 7. I said I was gonna format my Vista and go back to XP but now I will try Windows 7 first before I do that. You sound too narrow-mind. You are very insisted that Windows 7 has to be the best. I did not speak poorly of Windows 7 and yet you still pull me into that box you want to place me into. Be a bit more open-minded when you read people's comment. In my first post on this, I was comparing my experience on XP versus Vista. Re-read with a clear head. Don't put too much favoritism on one specific OS. This is why what I mention meant nothing to you.

This is the worst post in the entire thread. So basically, you haven't used Windows 7, yet you're telling people that it's more stable? That you'd prefer XP, even though you haven't tried Windows 7? What is the matter with you? Your take on Windows 7 should be this: "I have no take on Windows 7 because I haven't tried Windows 7."

I have Windows 7 on a single-core laptop with 2 GB of memory. It runs fine. It's better than XP (which I liked). It's a lot better than Vista (which I didn't like). And that seems to be the prevailing opinion just about everywhere.

Also, I want to point out that a few customers coming into a single Canadian department store don't count as the "general public." Thread title is out of bounds.

Re-read with a neutral insight. I did not tell people that it was more stable for a fact or of my own opinion. I did not say that I favor XP over Windows 7. I wish people would read.

Really? You hardly touched win7 and its not comparable with XP.

Where do you all get the idea that I compare XP to Windows 7? Three attacks already just because I want to move back to XP because of my Vista experience?

what you think and what you know are two totally different things

you think a lot but know nothing since you actually haven't tried it

That is why I said I will give Windows 7 a try first! What ever positive things I mention about Windows 7 to other people is because I want to be neutral and not be a jack-ass about it. I only pass on to people about the positive things people mention about Windows 7.

That machine should run Windows 7 absolutely sweet.

My thought is that no one has any reason to continue using XP now that 7 is out. 7, in my experience and from the reviews i have seen, runs on hardware built for XP, as well if not better than XP itself.

I personally believe that MS saw people where not adopting Vista, because of it not being great on older hardware, so they designed 7 to work on old hardware as well as new, so that XP users have no reason to live in the past.

Rich, I don't want to stay back. I am the person who ALWAYS wants to move forward. My philosophy and believe in life is never move backward. But due to my computer's capabilities, I would only resolve this way to extend the life of my computer. My computer has 3x 80mm fans and 120mm fan but it still runs extremely hot.

Windows 7 will run exceptionally well on that era hardware especially with 3 GB of RAM. Unlike Vista, Win 7 is made to run on slower hardware because of the popularity of netbooks. I have personally put Win 7 on a single core Prescott P4 @ 2.8 GHZ and it runs as well as XP on that hardware.

Rich and soonerproud, thanks for that info. I sure hope Windows 7 do that. I've heard a lot of positive things about it and I will try it.

I really don't pay all this criticism much attention, to be honest. The same people who praise XP now are the very ones who hated it when it came out. Just give people time to adjust to the new idea of 7 and they will be fine.

I think Windows 7 rocks. It's fast, lean, and mean! - I mean, nice! :D

Anyone that thinks Windows 7 sucks needs to be given a slap upside the head!

Nahhhhh... But seriously, they should be a little more open minded ;)

As for the XP arguement - tbh that goes out the door knowing that 7 can use XP-Mode. Serious win.

What people say and do eventually are a completely different thing.

Majority of these people are same ones who said same thing about vista yet went out bought new notebook with it on or desktop pc. They'll do same for Windows 7 more then likely.

The only other reason to warrant it is if they have their pentium 4/athlon xp computer with 512 ram onboard gfx and hdd going slow because well over it's expected lifecycle in which case xp vista and 7 even windows me will all go slow on it so the people who claim this or say it based on experience of word of mouth are plain idiots or just deaf, dumb and blind.

I work for The Bay if you guys really really really want to know.

i didn't even know The Bay had a computer section....I doubt it's the place most people will go to to buy software...

they dont, its actually very very small. So small that its a single shelf with 2 models of laptops for sale and few software.

they dont, its actually very very small. So small that its a single shelf with 2 models of laptops for sale and few software.

so you would agree your not actually in the right place to speak about the "general" population? Your demographic couldn't care less about windows 7

So, essentially you've talked to probably 1 or 2 housewives, and from that, you've established that the public doesn't like Windows 7.

Yeah. (Y)

Here we go again....

People allow me to introduce the usual cycle of Windows!

Step 1) Everyone is hyped about a new OS

Step 2) Public beta releases - everyone goes oh its kinda cool

Step 3) RC Releases - woot this is epic

Step 4) It comes out to public, people think its **** because they heard this from other people who haven't tried it and they think this because they think everything else made by MS is ****.

this comment coming from the same guy that said
...Windows 7 Ultimate and I was a bit disappointed

interesting..... *rubs chin*

Actually I agree that the Ultimate version IS disappointing. Paul Thurrott had a couple of well-written (yeah, even Thurrott can do it sometimes) posts criticizing MS over their feature stratification as well. Basically MS is treating us like idiots and nickel-and-diming us again. Ultimate has BitLocker and Languages, that's it. Really nothing ultimate about it. And then I find out that Home "Premium" doesn't have remote desktop or network backup (wtf) and Professional doesn't have Aero Remoting. It's like Microsoft is trying to push me away sometimes and I just don't get it.

When Jobs dies, Apple's board of directors is gonna grow a pair of balls and open up OSX to a limited PC market. Hopefully MS will stop slapping us in the face before that happens.

I love windows 7, I have been running various builds over the course of its beta/rc status.

The only reason a techie would be angry at Vista or 7 is that they do have to learn a new way to repair a few things. "Vets" XP got really use to doing repair installs, backing up user profiles and re-injecting them into other systems, performing manual registry restores, creating custom distros... The list of things that have changed on how you support these systems are vast. And a lot of people don't wish to learn something new... or are too stuck in the 'old ways' of doing something.

The argument that i bring to the table is that these *NT5/NT5.1* vets did have to transition from both the 9X and NT4 support world and should just suck it up and move on with the changes. Just as I have.

Computer users and Neowinians are much more likely to embrace change than the general public.

Most general users don't see the point. Their computer works well enough and they don't want to pay Microsoft any more money than they already have. General computer users get more excited about a new version of Word than they do about a new operating system.

I've had people ask me about when they should upgrade to Windows 7 and as soon as I tell them that it doesn't include Word, Excel or anything from Office they rapidly lose interest. Yes, that is the state of mind of your typical computer user. Well, actually that was from my tech contact who is supposed to be more advanced than anyone else in the office. The kind of person who "fixes" things before I get there but since I charge by the hour it doesn't bother me that I have to undo their mess.

This repair guy isn't helping

Got a call from the Local YMCA, they ordered 2 new computers from Dell. They called their software vendor and he said the software will work on Windows 7.

I'm not in the business of buying or building new computer for customers, just setting them up and fixing them. So they called the other guy in town who sells computers. They mentioned to him that they were getting 2 new computers from dell or something like that. She said the computer place down town told her that "Windows 7 is crap and that they should go with windows XP"

Not quite sure why they called that guy because then she called me and told me they are going to have me come and set them up when they come in.

But she called me to double check about the windows 7 thing. She said she didn't think he new what he was talking about because she read so many good review about windows 7. I told her if the software vendor told you that the software that you depend on will run windows 7 then by all means get windows 7.

I hate guys like him.

LOL

+1 there is 2 venders in the area that do that around here

one is a linux fanboi and the other finds selling pc's with xp works better with "licensing"

Computer users and Neowinians are much more likely to embrace change than the general public.

Most general users don't see the point. Their computer works well enough and they don't want to pay Microsoft any more money than they already have. General computer users get more excited about a new version of Word than they do about a new operating system.

I've had people ask me about when they should upgrade to Windows 7 and as soon as I tell them that it doesn't include Word, Excel or anything from Office they rapidly lose interest. Yes, that is the state of mind of your typical computer user. Well, actually that was from my tech contact who is supposed to be more advanced than anyone else in the office. The kind of person who "fixes" things before I get there but since I charge by the hour it doesn't bother me that I have to undo their mess.

True, but if the new wordpad had built in spellchecking I would totally use that over word. :D

because all I use word for is to type. Nothing fancy.