Psystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Sno

Psystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Snow Leopard on PCs

Psystar today announced the release of Rebel EFI, a new software product that enables users to install any modern operating system, including Mac OS X Snow Leopard, on a wide variety of PCs.

Psystar Corporation will begin selling the software it uses to run OS X Snow Leopard on generic Intel hardware. Available for download directly from Psystar.com, the Rebel EFI suite allows users to easily install any OS on their computer. Available today, Rebel EFI allows machines with Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 or Xeon Nehalem CPUs to install any modern operating system, including Mac's newest release of OS X. Users would simply download the new software from Psystar.com, burn it onto a CD and follow the onscreen instructions to easily install the OS.

Available as a time-limited free trial to ensure compatibility, the full version of Rebel EFI is normally priced at $89.99 but is currently being offered at an introductory price of $49.99. Psystar is also launching an "approval program" that will allow users having difficulty setting up their systems with Psystar's products to send in their components to have them certified for compatibility.

Apple and Psystar have been embroiled in ongoing legal disputes stemming from Psystar's launch of its own-branded computers running Mac OS X, which Apple claims is in violation of the operating system license. Psystar has continued to expand its offerings since its initial hardware release 18 months ago, releasing several new hardware models and launching earlier this month a licensing program to allow third-party PC manufacturers to preinstall Psystar's boot loader on their systems for easy installation of Mac OS X.

souricon.gif News source: Mac Rumors

Just tried to check this out to see what mobo's its limited to. The site is down :(

Edit: Just got on the store to check it out. It doesn't seem to list compatible hardware. It looks as though you have to run it and then it'll determine what works and what doesn't. If that's the case it's not much use; new builders won't know if what they bought will work and existing computers might have parts that are incompatible...all of which you can't find out until you install it.

Edited by Steeley

How is this different than the boot disks already available for free that can boot the installation of OSX and allow you to install chameleon?

It's different in that you have to pay $49.99 for it.

It's the same in that it will be just as screwed when Apple blocks it like they did with the Palm Pre and iTunes.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be the same thing that EFI-x did. Rebranding of free open source software and simply charging for it.

As far as I can tell, Apple can't block the loaders the same way that Microsoft can't block the bios hacks.

Apple will probably add activation to OS X, then Macs will need WGA cracks too.

So OS X would need Windows Genuine Advantage cracks eh? :p :rofl:

Still, good news, but I don't see it lasting long!

This just means in the future Apple will add in custom chips to their machines and more piracy protection measures. Thanks Psystar, hopefully you all die of gruesome painful cancer.

This just means in the future Apple will add in custom chips to their machines and more piracy protection measures. Thanks Psystar, hopefully you all die of gruesome painful cancer.

Just like Apple did with Microsoft? Whoops, forgot about Boot Camp!

Just like Apple did with Microsoft? Whoops, forgot about Boot Camp!

Apple made something to block Microsoft? I thought the idea of EFI originated from IBM as a replacement for the ancient BIOS. Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 both can be installed on a Mac natively without Bootcamp.

Apple made something to block Microsoft? I thought the idea of EFI originated from IBM as a replacement for the ancient BIOS. Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 both can be installed on a Mac natively without Bootcamp.

UEFI is the new thing , of which Vista SP1 , 7 support

btw EFI is invented by Intel

Uh, Apple made something to boot Windows, why can't we boot Mac OS X? I have an apple sticker on my computer, is that apple branded?

Except. It. Doesn't. Need. Patches. Or. Drivers. (it grabs them after you install and you only need the bootloader)

neither does retail installation.get your facts straight.Also if u need psystar to tell you which kexts to install for your hardware to work on osx86 then osx86 isn;t for you