Psystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Sno

Shaun N.

I may try this out later, I have problems with my Graphics card (1950XTX) fans stay on full. If it works GREAT. If not back to Windows 7

Leo Natan

This is really unnecessary and WTF, 90$ for this? It is a joke on people who don't have time to do a little research. EFI emulators have been available for a very long time, and are all free, and very easy to apply to an OSX installation media. So this is for folks that need getting fed straight in the mouth for a hefty price, instead of spending 15 minutes on the internet reading OsX86 tutorials.

Richard Hammond

Was just about to try this, ive not had much success with Chameleon, Boot132, etc.. i know i have all compatible hardware but it looks like my revision of motherboard is a pain in the ass to get working. (Intel G45 ICH10).

This is really unnecessary and WTF, 90$ for this? It is a joke on people who don't have time to do a little research. EFI emulators have been available for a very long time, and are all free, and very easy to apply to an OSX installation media. So this is for folks that need getting fed straight in the mouth for a hefty price, instead of spending 15 minutes on the internet reading OsX86 tutorials.

I wouldnt say very easy, ive been tearing my hair out for the past few weeks with having to extract the DSDT from my bios then patch it and use it in conjunction with Chameleon and the preboot.dmg with the kexts for my motherboard and i can tell you if you dont have a VERY specific type of motherboard/cpu then its not very easy at all. Getting help from the osx86 community is nigh on impossible as well as all everyone cares about is getting their system up and running, ive been waiting nearly 2 weeks for a response to my question on insanelymac.

Leo Natan

And have you tried the trial of this to see if this is of help? I never tend to believe these "one-click" tools are ever better than manual setting (in any field, really, video encoding, installation, etc).

Richard Hammond

Yes just got back from trying to boot my retail Snow Leopard and it boots to the install which is the first time of all the bootloaders ive tried that even gets me to the stage where i can install. I dont have time to test a full installation but it has promising results so far.

To be honest i would have bought this to stop me tearing my hair out in frustration for 3 weeks but i dont like that its reliant on logging into Psystar servers, they could go offline at any time thanks to the legal wrangling with Apple, i wouldnt wanna fork out for it then it goes offline then im out of pocket.

Wish i could find a bootloader that worked for me.

+Dick Montage

Worth a look... My install has a few bugs (no sleep being the most annoying). Will give it a try with this...

So to clarify, this is "just another PAID bootloader" that also goes and automatically grabs your KEXTs for you?

Richard Hammond

I think its both. You use it to boot a disc and then after installation you login and it scans your hardware and gets the drivers for you from my limited understanding.

At $50 is very tempting if it wasnt for the fact that Psystar could dissappear and render this tool useless.

+Dick Montage
if it wasnt for the fact that Psystar could dissappear and render this tool useless.

Oooh good point!

Richard Hammond

The trial version has a 2 hour limitation so im guessing it means after you use it to install the drivers it installs something that makes the system shut down.

Shaun N.

I would need less than 2 hours to discover if its fixed my fan issue or not :p

cabron

REBEL EFI is another tool stolen from the hackintosh community, just another EFI-X but with a lame price.

hdood
REBEL EFI is another tool stolen from the hackintosh community, just another EFI-X but with a lame price.

How can you "steal" it if the original it's based on is under a license that allows you to do this...? It seems like this exact kind of thing was intended.

+warwagon

Where are you getting $90 from?

The site says $49.99

JimmyCypherz

i think it will have a 49.99 introductory price

Rudy
Where are you getting $90 from?

The site says $49.99

I think $90 is the regular price and $49 is the introduction price

Richard Hammond

You know what im getting bored of people bashing Psystar/EFI-X.

The "hackintosh" community is barely legal on their own bypassing OSX copy protection and reverse engineering Apples own code you cant sit there and tell me what they are doing is legal. Someone has the nonce to package it together into 1 easy to use bit of kit and sell it, no one is FORCING you to buy it, its there for convenience and for those that can do it on their own they dont need to buy the damn thing.

For example ive been trying for 3 weeks to boot my legally bought retail copy of Snow Leopard and ive been trying all sorts of bootloaders and configurations, DSDT patching, specific drivers for my boards, modifying bootloards and i was stumped, the osx86 community werent any help they were all bothered about how they were getting their own machines to work to help me.

I downloaded RebelEFI and it booted my SL disc straight away and i was at a point where i was ready to install the OS, further than ive ever got with any other bootloader.

So get off your high horse.

Pharos

Can anybody tell me how this works? I already have SL installed using Chameleon, haven't booted to the dark side in ages though, lovin' Windows 7 ATM :p

I don't see any instructions / FAQ's anywhere. I assume you need an existing Leopard already installed to inject this EFI to the target drive?

Edit. Nevermind, found it

Edited by Pharos
Shaun N.

Are you on the SL installation now Richard?

Richard Hammond
Are you on the SL installation now Richard?

No, SL needs a drive to be formatted to GUID or whatever it is, i dont have a blank spare drive everything has stuff on them.

I did get up to the stage to format my drive though which is further than i got with any of the other bootloaders.

Vice

The "hackintosh" community is barely legal on their own bypassing OSX copy protection and reverse engineering Apples own code you cant sit there and tell me what they are doing is legal. Someone has the nonce to package it together into 1 easy to use bit of kit and sell it, no one is FORCING you to buy it, its there for convenience and for those that can do it on their own they dont need to buy the damn thing.

For example ive been trying for 3 weeks to boot my legally bought retail copy of Snow Leopard and ive been trying all sorts of bootloaders and configurations, DSDT patching, specific drivers for my boards, modifying bootloards and i was stumped, the osx86 community werent any help they were all bothered about how they were getting their own machines to work to help me.

I downloaded RebelEFI and it booted my SL disc straight away and i was at a point where i was ready to install the OS, further than ive ever got with any other bootloader.

Your breaking the license agreement that comes with snow leopard as soon as you try to install it on anything other than an Apple computer so you can't really talk about high horses. Also its for upgrading a previous installed version of Leopard which you don't have as you don't have a Mac.

Funny post though I'll give you that.

Richard Hammond
Your breaking the license agreement that comes with snow leopard as soon as you try to install it on anything other than an Apple computer so you can't really talk about high horses. Also its for upgrading a previous installed version of Leopard which you don't have as you don't have a Mac.

Funny post though I'll give you that.

Yeah i know that?

Im not on any kind of high horse, im just tired of people saying that EFI-X and Psystar are bad because they rip off the community, but the community is no better they are essentially ripping off Apple by bypassing copy protection that locks OSX to a Mac and reverse engineering Apples code to do so. Its hippocritical, either Psystar/EFI-X are bad which in turn makes the community just as bad, or the community is ok which by extension means that EFI-X/Psystar are ok also, people cant have it both ways.

cabron
Yeah i know that?

Im not on any kind of high horse, im just tired of people saying that EFI-X and Psystar are bad because they rip off the community, but the community is no better they are essentially ripping off Apple by bypassing copy protection that locks OSX to a Mac and reverse engineering Apples code to do so. Its hippocritical, either Psystar/EFI-X are bad which in turn makes the community just as bad, or the community is ok which by extension means that EFI-X/Psystar are ok also, people cant have it both ways.

I agree with you, both are bad, but I think in my opinion these businesses that try to sell something at expensive prices that was invented by some enthusiast and distributed for free just to help the community is just a shame. It is not right and selling something that is already illegal is even worse than anything else.

Edited by cabron
+warwagon

amenbrother.jpg

Vice
Yeah i know that?

I feel your pain about the X86 community they are helpful only if they have the same hardware as you and are mostly unwilling to help beyond that your really on your own. And Prystar and EFIX are giving people an easy way to do it with some kind of support and for that they charge.

I think personally this is great that Prystar are doing this I'd like an easy to use, cheap software solution and after a bunch of other people review this new software package Prystar have released I'll definitely give it a try.