Psystar Releases 'Rebel EFI' Software to Enable Installation of Sno

Richard Hammond

FYI I am posting this from Snow Leopard installation, this is the first bootloader thats actually let me install my Snow Leopard.

Ethernet working out of the box but no sound or graphics, not had a chance to run the RebelEFI yet as i dont want to cripple the installation by making it shut down in 2 hours, now im at this point im gonna try and install the drivers myself.

Snowl
* **Caution: You will erase all data on the hard drive. To ensure you don't lose any files, use a blank hard drive or be sure to back-up your data. **

* a. If no disk shows, Click on Utilities on the tool bar, then select Disk Utilities.

* b. On the left you should see your hard drive.

* c. If not, a disk is not connected or cannot be read by your computer.

* d. After selecting your hard drive click on Partition.

* e. Under Volume Scheme, click current and select 1 partition.

* f. Under Volume Information, name your hard drive.

* g. Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

* h. At the bottom of the window Click on the Options Button.

* i. Select the GUID Partition Table

* j. Click OK

* k. Click Apply

* l. Click Partition

* m. Quit Disk Utilities

I am going to try this out today, but what does the GUID Partition Table do? I have all my files on another partition and don't want to lose them.

Richard Hammond

GUID Partition Table replaces the MBR, so if you do that you will lose all data on the drive.

FloatingFatMan
It is not right and selling something that is already illegal is even worse than anything else.

Sorry, but it's been ruled in court that installing OSX on non-Apple hardware is NOT illegal. It's a breach of contract, the EULA, sure; but it's not illegal to do that.

If all Psystar were doing was selling the EFI patch, then I'd agree about it not being right that they're selling stuff developed by the enthusiast community, but this program does more. It fetches all the kexts you need and installs them, taking a LOT of work out of it. That's worth the money to people desperate enough to run OSX.

Personally, I tried an OSX86 back when it first came out on Intel chips. Ran fine, but it was a <bleep> poor OS that, really, could do very very little.

Growled

I don't see any difference between using a OS X on non-apple hardware and using a crack to activate Windows. It's basically the same thing.

M_Lyons10

This is cool. I wonder how long this will be up...

Tech Star

I need your opinion guys. I have been trying SO hard to get my Intel Core i7 920 w/ an EVGA X58 3-Way SLI mobo. to work since June and I couldn't get it to work. Do you think that this might work?

Also, my previous Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz w/ an ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe ran Leopard, but after about 2 weeks of running it, my motherboard fried. Do you think that is might happen again if I run OSX Snow Leopard on my PC? Or can any other hardware fry if I install OSX onto my PC?

Richard Hammond

Yes it will work, if it allowed me to install Snow Leopard onto my Intel G45 ICH10R motherboard which literally has no support in the osx86 community it will definately work on your x58. Its free to try just grab the iso from Psystar website.

FloatingFatMan
I don't see any difference between using a OS X on non-apple hardware and using a crack to activate Windows. It's basically the same thing.

Not really. You crack Windows to bypass the activation protection. 99% of people ONLY do that if they've pirated Windows. Breaking copy protection IS illegal. OSX, on the other hand, has no copy protection and there are no cracks involved. All you need to do is emulate a different type of BIOS, the EFI. Only in the VERY early days of OSX on 86 was there any kind of protection, the TPM module. That hasn't been used in ages.

Ji@nBing

No workie for me. Same as any disk I've tried. I goes to the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel, sits there for a bit, then reboots.

Syanide

Apple should really consider licensing OSX.

Steeley

Thanks for being the guinea pig, Ji@nBing. I built my hackintosh using the very easy and detailed Leopard Soup Guides. His site is down right now because he's updating all his tutorials for Snow Leopard. And they're all using the retail disc so no piracy! I suggest waiting for him to bring it online again and using what he recommends. It's fool-proof.

Snowl

Today I went to melbourne, and on the way I saw a Apple Retailer, so I dropped in and grabbed a Snow Leopard DVD. Last one in that store. I have a normal computer that refuses to install OS x86 so lets see what this can do. On my way home, I will report what happens.

Steeley
Today I went to melbourne, and on the way I saw a Apple Retailer, so I dropped in and grabbed a Snow Leopard DVD. Last one in that store. I have a normal computer that refuses to install OS x86 so lets see what this can do. On my way home, I will report what happens.

Let me know if you need help dude. I've done it and i'm pretty good at hackintoshes now.

Richard Hammond

Well im impressed with RebelEFI, i dont think i would pay for it but the bootloader gets me as far as a clean installed Snow Leopard from blank drive to desktop in under 15 mins.

Ethernet worked out of the box and i installed graphics and sound drivers myself, as well as a few fixes for sleep and restart and i have a fully working Hac with Quad Core 2.33Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066 Ram and 512Mb ATI 4850 with full QE and CI support.

Snowl

@Steely Thamks. Only one out of three computers have worked using normal OS x86 methods but Im hoping this might work. First operating system i have bought in retail thanks to my 1gig limit.

shifts

Just got a copy of this as well, going to install Snow Leopard and see what happens.

Also realised that I have a VM ware licence going on so will be interesting to see if theres a performance hit running windows on there under this method..

Does Media centre run in a Virtual session these days?

Snowl
Well im impressed with RebelEFI, i dont think i would pay for it but the bootloader gets me as far as a clean installed Snow Leopard from blank drive to desktop in under 15 mins.

Ethernet worked out of the box and i installed graphics and sound drivers myself, as well as a few fixes for sleep and restart and i have a fully working Hac with Quad Core 2.33Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066 Ram and 512Mb ATI 4850 with full QE and CI support.

Buying it installs the bootloader (so you dont need the cd all the tome, andgives u suppport etc.

Richard Hammond

I dont need the bootloader i just needed to boot the OS, i just installed Chameleon and its all booting fine now.

I would have bought it but with all this Psystar v Apple i dont want to buy it then Psystar go bust and then youve lost $50 since it uses Psystar servers.

I emailed Psystar asking where i would be if they did go out of business and i never got a reply so they can bugger off.

badldragon
I dont need the bootloader i just needed to boot the OS, i just installed Chameleon and its all booting fine now.

I would have bought it but with all this Psystar v Apple i dont want to buy it then Psystar go bust and then youve lost $50 since it uses Psystar servers.

I emailed Psystar asking where i would be if they did go out of business and i never got a reply so they can bugger off.

What does chameleon do and how does it install. In full agreement here with paying for something that is likely to lose all support very soon.

It's like those guys that want you to pay upwards of $10 for jailbroken ipod/iphone apps but every time a new fw comes out you run the risk of it not being hackable and losing the chance to use the new fw or lose access to the app you just paid for by upgrading. Know what I mean? $5 - $8 maximum for risky software if you ask me.

Anyone know if there is a driver available for the radeon x1400. Thats what has always stopped me doing a hackintosh in the past, noone should have to work with 1024x640 res, no one. Makes the OS look just horrible.

Richard Hammond

Have you tried booting it in safe mode?

It was having issues with my 4850 i had to boot in safe mode, then install it.

Richard Hammond
What does chameleon do and how does it install. In full agreement here with paying for something that is likely to lose all support very soon.

It's like those guys that want you to pay upwards of $10 for jailbroken ipod/iphone apps but every time a new fw comes out you run the risk of it not being hackable and losing the chance to use the new fw or lose access to the app you just paid for by upgrading. Know what I mean? $5 - $8 maximum for risky software if you ask me.

Anyone know if there is a driver available for the radeon x1400. Thats what has always stopped me doing a hackintosh in the past, noone should have to work with 1024x640 res, no one. Makes the OS look just horrible.

Chameleon is just a bootloader much like the RebelEFI disk, all it does is allows you to boot a Mac formatted bootable hdd or a retail leopard/snow leopard disk.

Not sure about radeon x1400.

Snowl

Ok, im getting a Still waiting for root device error in verbose... i'll try putting an IDE disk in my computer tomorow... that might help lol