Scientists Discover the Largest Orbweaving Spider in the World

So much hatred towards those tiny harmless creatures! I would rather be surrounded by hundreds of spiders then by a single gun!

you cant work with a spider or use it in anyway. a gun, you can take it and shoot the other person. or do w/e you please with it. spider, your screwed, unless you have powers and you can talk to it.

So much hatred towards those tiny harmless creatures! I would rather be surrounded by hundreds of spiders then by a single gun!

well give me the gun any day even more so when it's one of those spiders that has venom so powerful a bite anywhere on the body will kill you almost instantaneously.

Is there a reason why humans find spiders so creepy?

Maybe it's because of the way they (hideously) kill their prey (spin a trap and eat them live sometimes). Plus their hairy entangling and potentially strangling 8 legs and 8 eyes adds to their ugliness factor. Plus some of them are venomous. And gosh 8 legs which can move in any 360 degree direction. I would die of a heart attack upon seeing such a huge spider in person. LOL like Ron (from Harry Potter) and Ross (from Friends).

Maybe it's because of the way they (hideously) kill their prey (spin a trap and eat them live sometimes). Plus their hairy entangling and potentially strangling 8 legs and 8 eyes adds to their ugliness factor. Plus some of them are venomous. And gosh 8 legs which can move in any 360 degree direction. I would die of a heart attack upon seeing such a huge spider in person. LOL like Ron (from Harry Potter) and Ross (from Friends).

How can you say that, spiders are cute :)

So you don't like yourself ? And have nothing to do with yourself either ?

Also I want to point out that all guns are harmless to humans, it's the idiot holding the gun that's the problem.

While technically true, people generally only use the term thorax for insects and such. So that's what I meant by it. Thoraxes are wrong and should be banned!!! Boycotted, even!!

Oh God, someone please close this thread.

Bloody hate spiders. Well, hate is a strong word. Dislike.

No, they really don't. One of the defining characteristics of arachnids is that they have a merged cephalus and thorax called a cephalothrax. It is a unified structure distinct from both cephalus and thorax. This means that they have only two major body segments (celphalothorax, abdomen), as opposed to insects, which have three (cephalus, thorax, abdomen).

This was taught in elementary school...

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O8-cephalothorax.html

40mm really isn't that big....

No, its not.....Carolina Wolf Spiders alone can have a body over an inch long (over 25mm). This particular orbweave is just barely larger than the spiders I'm talking about (which are fairly common throughout Carolina and other parts of the world).

EDIT: But, wolf spiders do not make webs so meh....