MS ships full version keys with Upgrades!

It appears MS has shipped Full Retail Version product keys with Upgrade disk pre-orders. This is probably an extra Thank You to beta testers who largely pre-ordered.

You can boot from the disk, delete/create/format the drive, give your key upfront, and afterwards auto-activate from the link on the Computer Properties page.

Those still wanting to do an in-place Upgrade from Vista can do so, as with any full retail version which is what Upgraders got.

This is a generous gift from a company with a generous streak as wide as the world.

Thank you, MS! You have clinched the future!

Kind of a slap in the face for people who paid full price for the full versions dontcha think?

Nobody paid full price for pre-orders. But some people will complain about half price.

For your sake, we'll say they "made a mistake."

Feel better?

It appears MS has shipped Full Retail Version product keys with Upgrade disk pre-orders. This is probably an extra Thank You to beta testers who largely pre-ordered.

You can boot from the disk, delete/create/format the drive, give your key upfront, and afterwards auto-activate from the link on the Computer Properties page.

Those still wanting to do an in-place Upgrade from Vista can do so, as with any full retail version which is what Upgraders got.

This is a generous gift from a company with a generous streak as wide as the world.

Yes, an excellent surprise!

Link?

Mine didn't come with a full installation key.

Has Microsoft made an official announcement?

No and they probably won't since they would be attacked for their generosity on top of everything else.

Complainers should take the time to notice that this is possibly the greatest advance since the invention of the computer.

Link?

Mine didn't come with a full installation key.

This is exploding on every tech forum right now. Have been monitoring it since midnight EST last night.

How do you know what key you got? Did you try a clean formatted install from boot without Viista or XP installed? Wasn't supposed to work otherwise.

No and they probably won't since they would be attacked for their generosity on top of everything else.

Complainers should take the time to notice that this is possibly the greatest advance since the invention of the computer.

This is exploding on every tech forum right now. Have been monitoring it since midnight EST last night.

How do you know what key you got? Did you try a clean formatted install from boot without Viista or XP installed? Wasn't supposed to work otherwise.

I too have been monitoring before I tried it for myself. I saw nothing that said microsoft was shipping full keys in upgrade packaging. If you read what I have already wrote. You would know:

1) My HDD was blank. 1 HDD in system.

2) Installed the first time (custom not upgrade). Got to the part where it asked for my key. Typed in key. It said invalid

3) Continued with installation. Got into Windows 7. Went to activate. It of course asked for my key. Entered key again and it told me that I can not use this key for new installations, only upgrades.

4) From within Windows 7, started up the install process again. This time I choose upgrade. Went through the install process again. Asked me for my key. Entered key and this time it took it.

Installation finished, went to activate and it activated fine.

I too have been monitoring before I tried it for myself. I saw nothing that said microsoft was shipping full keys in upgrade packaging. If you read what I have already wrote. You would know:

1) My HDD was blank. 1 HDD in system.

2) Installed the first time (custom not upgrade). Got to the part where it asked for my key. Typed in key. It said invalid

3) Continued with installation. Got into Windows 7. Went to activate. It of course asked for my key. Entered key again and it told me that I can not use this key for new installations, only upgrades.

4) From within Windows 7, started up the install process again. This time I choose upgrade. Went through the install process again. Asked me for my key. Entered key and this time it took it.

Installation finished, went to activate and it activated fine.

Well let's see what others say. But it would have to be some kind of massive mistake for so many to report it. I dont' think so.

Really? MS putting a different key in one of their SKU's is the greatest advance since computers were invented?

Using the upgrade key to upgrade after clean install is nothing new :huh:

The original post was talking about being able to install Win7 without the need to upgrade again using the key Microsoft sent.

Using the upgrade key to upgrade after clean install is nothing new :huh:

The original post was talking about being able to install Win7 without the need to upgrade again using the key Microsoft sent.

We didn't know that you could do it. The original post was saying microsoft is shipping full retail cd keys in upgrade packaging. Which is simply not true. (unless a mixup happened). Mine key was an upgrade key in a upgrade box.

Guy from anandtech ordered directly from MS and he paid the upgrade price and got an upgrade key. Not a full key.

Guy from anandtech ordered directly from MS and he paid the upgrade price and got an upgrade key. Not a full key.

How would he know what key he got? Only if he booted from the installer, formatted the HDD, and ran the Upgrade for a clean install and it wouldn't work, then tried it from XP/Vista and it worked, would he know he only has an upgrade key.

Some are reporting that, though. BUt far more are reporting they are getting clean formatted installs with no previous XP/Vista with their Upgrade disk, which isn't what we expect from an Upgrade. Some say it has happened before though, and that MS always has a surprise gift for beta testers. This is why I advanced my theory. I am sorry the subtitle had the question mark dropped due to character limits as it is only a theory.

We could just keep quiet and savor the gift, but wanted others to try it and see if they can get it too, if a clean install to formatted metal is what they want.

Edited by gregrocker

Really? MS putting a different key in one of their SKU's is the greatest advance since computers were invented?

No, being able to have blue type in my post!

Seriously what is the opinion of what is happening from you mods?

And yes, I do believe Win7 is the greatest invention since the computer and I have been around since the Kaypro1.

How would he know what key he got? Only if he formatted the HDD, booted from the installer and ran the Upgrade for a clean install and it wouldn't work, then tried it from XP/Vista and it worked, would he know he only has an upgrade key.

Some are reporting that, though. BUt far more are reporting they are getting clean formatted installs with no previous XP/Vista with their Upgrade disk, which isn't what we expect from an Upgrade. Some say it has happened before though, and that MS always has a surprise gift for beta testers. This is why I advanced my theory. I am sorry the subtitle had the question mark dropped due to character limits as it is only a theory.

We could just keep quiet and savor the gift, but wanted others to try it and see if they can get it too, if a clean install to formatted metal is what they want.

Can you read? HE GOT AN INVALID KEY the first time around, just like me. Look, I don't care how people get it installed, I was just letting people know that the vista trick does work in case they wanted to try it that way.

Are you sure about this? How do you know it isn't an upgrade key? Did you install it to a machine with no previous Windows installations on any drives / partitions?