• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

MS ships full version keys with Upgrades!

kazuyette    13

Wow !!! This is an old trick that has been going on since Vista ...

Stupid news sites jizzing all over the place for an old piece of news.

iamwhoiam    69
Microsoft can give you apparent discounts here and there because they control the entire market

If they controlled the entire market, whether it's for OS's, consoles, etc., there'd be absolutely no competition. Since there is competition, you're speaking out your backside.

Lee G.    236
It has been reported that this works...

1. New drive / or formatted drive.

2. Ensure any slave drives have no operating systems.

3. Put W7 Upgrade DVD in drive, and boot from DVD.

4. Install W7 on your new blank drive

5. Do not put in a key and do not activate

6. Load unactivated Windows 7 upgrade to desktop

7. Run DVD and start installation from inside Windows.

8. Select Upgrade

9. Allow install to run and reboot to Windows

10. Enter key and activate once on desktop.

And will this act like a standard retail copy, which does not lock itself to the motherboard?

I'm looking to buy a student upgrade copy of Windows 7 Professional, and install it on my laptop, but later I want to take it off the laptop and install it on another machine.

iamwhoiam    69
And will this act like a standard retail copy, which does not lock itself to the motherboard?

Yes.

I'm looking to buy a student upgrade copy of Windows 7 Professional, and install it on my laptop, but later I want to take it off the laptop and install it on another machine.

With a retail copy, it'll be fine.

coresx    41

Nice. Time to get that Student upgrade offer for ?30 I think.

(Spork)    87
Amusing thread is amusing.

yea the OP has a real stiffy for MS and windows 7 lol

anyoen thing MS will blacklist the keys ? i don't think so but they could

Raa    1,583

They won't blacklist keys. To MS, you're not doing anything wrong, technically.

And it's been confirmed for a while that you can clean install 7 (no key) and upgrade it over itself with your retail upgrade key.

Thanks for the thread though. :)

Lee G.    236
Yes.

With a retail copy, it'll be fine.

Thanks!

Nice. Time to get that Student upgrade offer for ?30 I think.

Yeah, same here:DD

Intersect    239

ms could have made the upgrade disks so they would not install via booting the cd. or avtivate from within win7, the point of an upgrade is to upgrade the older version.

iam just glad i got the full version when the discount offer was on.

lunamonkey    118
Wow !!! This is an old trick that has been going on since Vista ...

Stupid news sites jizzing all over the place for an old piece of news.

Old news for Vista yes.

Microsoft specifically said that this would not / will not / should not / won't work for Windows 7. They said it will "not install".

It does "install", and people are claiming it "does activate".

Hence, it's new news (as of this month).

smithy_dll    55

Yes, but the license terminology still says it is for use as an upgrade only doesn't it?

Jiggah    2
Yes, but the license terminology still says it is for use as an upgrade only doesn't it?

Yes. The key will still be reported to the activation server as an upgrade key effectively tying it to whatever hardware you install it on.

Lee G.    236
Yes. The key will still be reported to the activation server as an upgrade key effectively tying it to whatever hardware you install it on.

So you're saying that if I install a Windows 7 upgrade copy on my laptop, it'll be tied to that laptop? :unsure: This is quite confusing. I've been told by several people that it won't be tied; it'll be like a retail copy.

hdood    145
Since there is competition, you're speaking out your backside.

You must be missing the fact where I said that it has gotten marginally better (i.e Apple has emerged from the verge of bankruptcy to become a somewhat viable competitor in a limited subset of the markets Microsoft dominate), but Microsoft pretty much has a stranglehold on the market still. Anyway, it's not actually something that is up for debate. Microsoft has been convicted of it in court (and lost their appeals), making it rather hard to dispute. You're getting far too carried away in your praise of the company, assigning them an almost god-like status, when the reality is that it's a pretty bad company regardless of how you feel about their actual products.

Jiggah    2
So you're saying that if I install a Windows 7 upgrade copy on my laptop, it'll be tied to that laptop? :unsure: This is quite confusing. I've been told by several people that it won't be tied; it'll be like a retail copy.

Unless, it's confirmed that the key is actually a retail key, then no. The only confirmation here is that you can do full install using your upgrade key.

Toon_Army_Fan    0

Is it possible that it is just big mistake and someone is going to get fired at Microsoft? lol And if it is a gift from them to people who have been loyal then surly it wont be given to everyone only the people who they choose to give it too meaning not everyone will have the same situation.

grewnd33    0

This post is speculation and should be regarded as such. I also heard that if you purchased Windows 7 Pro Upgrade during pre-order that MS shipped Windows 7 Ultimate plus Office 2010 as a bonus. See how speculation works?

Intersect    239

the only way to settel this argument is to find some one who has an upgrade copy and use that key against a full retail version of the same version of windows 7. then you will know if your key is a Full retail key and not an upgrade key.

Edited by xSuRgEx