How long did your windows 7 installation take?

About 25 minutes for 64bit Home Premium. It was that fast I thought it was missing something. Put the DVD in the drive and booted up and it asked whether I wanted to upgrade or Custom install. I chose custom so I could do a fresh install. I pressed the Format button, in times past where it would have taken hours to format the drive, it took seconds. Then the actual install was over quicker than I thought possible. Nice

Windows 7 Ultimate took me about 15 minuets from boot as I booted the install of a empty internal HDD and made it bootable so it copied fast.

It seems best way to go about this is to create a bootable flash disk and install from it. I noticed it greatly improved the installation time on my second laptop. 12 mins down from 24 mins. 24 mins was on the first laptop. Both laptops have identical hardware.

It's also helpful if you own different versions of 7. One can copy the installation files to the flash drive, delete the ei.cfg file in the 'sources' folder, and it will ask which version you want to install.

From USB key on my laptop it took around 15 - 20 minutes.

From DVD it took around 25 minutes, slower file copy being the only reason it was slower.

Roughly 15-20 minutes clean install from DVD (I love my LG drives) of 7 HP x64

I performed an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It took about 30 minutes on my WD Caviar Black 640 GB SATA hard drive (WD6401AALS).

So is the retail version that just came out the exact same as the RTM that leaked a few months back?

I put that RTM on my laptop about 2 weeks ago. Im getting the Home Premium for free and hopefully plan to just activate my RTM version with my legit details.

Took an hour. It's weird. I've got a Quad core and 2 gig of ram, sata HDD.

The "expanding files" took about 45 minutes on its own. I'm wondering if my IDE DVD drive was slowing it down, or maybe my boot drive (180gig sata) should have been plugged into an earlier port. It's in sata 6 at the moment.

Or maybe my laser is crusty or something. It obviously got there eventually, but was so slow.