• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win7 News confirms Upgrade same as Full Retail

wookietv    1

i was surprised actually... i had 7 RC installed on my laptop... popped the dvd in today, went into the advanced screen to format that partition first and it gave me no problems about having a previous o.s. installed. let me do the clean install.

jerzdawg    338

just installed Windows 7 Home Premium - booted disk from startup, formatted primary drive, installed clean version of 7 upgrade.

JustGeorge    1,658
just installed Windows 7 Home Premium - booted disk from startup, formatted primary drive, installed clean version of 7 upgrade.

The drive must be completely empty before beginning installation for positive confirmation.

null_    4

And you were able to activate with your product key without any issues?

Ficman    30

+1 Clean installed worked great, activated it without any issues...

Wordsworth47    0
I'd love to see some other success stories from people here trying to install the upgrade version to a blank drive. Or at least what the limitations are to the upgrade process, it has never been fully spelled out from what I've read.

I can confirm the same with Win 7 HP. I booted from Win 7 upgrade disk then wiped the hard drive clean (no underlying OS), then installed Win 7 HP and successfully activated Win 7 HP.

Raikou Tch    0

I got Win 7 Pro from my college, which they SAID was upgrade only and you needed Vista. However it worked exactly like the full version disc and I was able to reformat without it asking for any other key or validation but the one it came with.

Jimmy422    19

Just upgraded from Vista Home Basic (*vomits*) to Windows 7 Home Premium with a clean install. Worked fine.

DirtyLarry    2,093

Yeah a friend of mine who is actually a member here just told me he did a clean install over his OEM copy of Vista with the 7 Upgrade disk, he did not know about the entering no key then upgrade and add key, so he added his key on the first install, but he said it activated no problems at all for him so he is up and running.

So seems there are definitely conflicting reports here, working for some and not for others.

Redestium    1

Well there has to be some clarification. Clean install with previous Windows version on the drive already or clean install to a blank drive.

gregrocker    0

It appears MS has shipped Full Retail Version product keys with Upgrade disk pre-orders. This is probably an extra Thank You to beta testers who largely pre-ordered.

You can boot from the disk, delete/create/format the drive, give your key upfront, and afterwards auto-activate from the link on the Computer Properties page.

Those still wanting to do an in-place Upgrade from Vista can do so, as with any full retail version which is what Upgraders got.

Thank you, MS! You have clinched the future!.

Wordsworth47    0
Well there has to be some clarification. Clean install with previous Windows version on the drive already or clean install to a blank drive.

Clean install to a blank drive. I did it about 2 hrs. ago.

Redestium    1
Clean install to a blank drive. I did it about 2 hrs. ago.

Excellent thank you. That was from an upgrade version dvd?

Edited by Mav Phoenix

ROM3000    0

This is slightly unrelated but does anyone know if you can burn the downloaded version of Windows 7 to a disc. I didn't order a dvd thinking I could just burn it, but I didn't receive an ISO. Any ideas? Thanks.

Growled    3,880

I never dreamed MS would do something this cool for us.

gregrocker    0

No, it is being widely reported to work on a clean formatted drive.

Wordsworth47    0
Excellent thank you. That was from an upgrade version dvd?

Yes, it was. Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade disk.

gregrocker    0
There is a very funny solution to this - one that should have made MS very ashamed if it was very popular. After installing Vista Upgrade in that method (not entering a key), do an upgrade install on the previous Vista. Now it will work! :laugh:

It is the same with Windows 7, BTW.

MS specifically foreclosed the VIsta upgrade over itself trick six months ago. It is activating because many Upgrade disk pre-orders apparently shipped with full retail key.

Blackhood    0
MS specifically foreclosed the VIsta upgrade over itself trick six months ago. It is activating because many Upgrade disk pre-orders apparently shipped with full retail key.

Stop trolling, your wrong.

gregrocker    0

How to clean install from Windows 7 Upgrade media

Mike Halsey | Oct 22, 2009 | Windows 7 News & Tips blog

One of the biggest unanswered questions about Windows 7 is whether you can perform a clean install using the upgrade edition of the operating system.

With legacy versions of Windows you needed to ?show? it an install CD from your older version of Windows. The problem here is that Microsoft allowed OEM PC makers to customise these discs, sometimes to the point where they were not recognisable as upgrade media by the installer, even though you had a legitimate copy.

With Windows Vista they changed this but you had to perform a workaround to get a clean install. Firstly you had to install Vista upgrade without entering a product key, and then you had to install it again performing an upgrade on the version you had already installed. This was time-consuming and many people didn?t like it? understandably.

Edited by gregrocker

gregrocker    0

How to clean install from Windows 7 Upgrade media

Mike Halsey | Oct 22, 2009 | Windows 7 News & Tips blog

One of the biggest unanswered questions about Windows 7 is whether you can perform a clean install using the upgrade edition of the operating system.

With legacy versions of Windows you needed to ?show? it an install CD from your older version of Windows. The problem here is that Microsoft allowed OEM PC makers to customise these discs, sometimes to the point where they were not recognisable as upgrade media by the installer, even though you had a legitimate copy.

With Windows Vista they changed this but you had to perform a workaround to get a clean install. Firstly you had to install Vista upgrade without entering a product key, and then you had to install it again performing an upgrade on the version you had already installed. This was time-consuming and many people didn?t like it? understandably.

With Windows 7 Microsoft have only released the upgrade versions for the first time today and have been keeping very tight-lipped on this subject. The good, nay, excellent news is that performing a clean install using upgrade media is now the same as performing a clean install.

Windows 7 will just install merrily on your hard disk with it?s upgrade product code and activate. You don?t need an XP or Vista disc, and you don?t need to install it over itself. This is excellent news and, while I haven?t yet tried this myself, reports are coming in from across the web that this is indeed the case.

Many people will now ask if it?s necessary to buy the full version of Windows 7. Quite simply now the answer is that it isn?t. This means an significant price cut for Windows 7 over previous versions, effective immediately.

ToneKnee    301

I'm sure I read a thread yesterday where someone tried this and it didn't work, but upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7 did (The Vista way)?

hdood    145

You can't quote a post on some random guy's site that says he hasn't even tried it and claim that means it's somehow "officially confirmed." Unless there are regional differences, the upgrade version will not let you do that. Are you calling the people here who've installed it liars?

mhbas0001    0
You can't quote a post on some random guy's site that says he hasn't even tried it and claim that means it's somehow "officially confirmed." Unless there are regional differences, the upgrade version most certainly will not let you do that. I've seen it for myself, as has several other people here.

He mentions in that article that he hasn't tried it himself - he's only heard reports.