• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win7 News confirms Upgrade same as Full Retail

hdood    145

So it's a pointless thread where you post what some random guy has "heard." Well, thanks I guess.

Bryan000    2

So we finally have a definitive answer to the most asked question regarding Windows 7? That yes, you CAN do a CLEAN install (on a blank partition or new hard drive, with no pre-existing windows XP, Vista or 7 install anywhere on the computer) using UPGRADE media (and upgrade key) and activate fine? Yes?

I read the comments in that article and it seems there are some people who can't get it to work.

Anyone here want to test it?

Blackhood    0
He mentions in that article that he hasn't tried it himself - he's only heard reports.

He keeps trolling, the media (disk) probably is the full version. Its the key that counts.

I'm sure I read a thread yesterday where someone tried this and it didn't work, but upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7 did (The Vista way)?

Yes this works 100% with upgrade disk and upgrade key.

gregrocker    0
You can't quote a post on some random guy's site that says he hasn't even tried it and claim that means it's somehow "officially confirmed." Unless there are regional differences, the upgrade version will not let you do that. Are you calling the people here who've installed it liars?

You can go to any tech blog on the net right now and read HUNDREDS of reports of people who have successfully clean installed Win7 Upgrade without VIsta/XP today, yet some anklebiters say its wrong because they can't do it.

Why don't you ask for help instead of doubting the biggest tech news of the year as it is breaking.

HawkMan    5,232
Many people will now ask if it’s necessary to buy the full version of Windows 7. Quite simply now the answer is that it isn’t. This means an significant price cut for Windows 7 over previous versions, effective immediately.

The guy who wrote the article hs right here encouraging illegal activity and license breaching though.

yes you can do it, but in reality your license won't be valid. sure noones probably ever going to check, MS might if you call them for something, but the support tech there are probably to busy to bother checking licenses anyway.

On the other hand, pretty much anyone buying the OS will have a XP or Vista license already. unless you're building a new computer yourself, in which case the OEM is a better choice anyway.

gregrocker    0
He keeps trolling, the media (disk) probably is the full version. Its the key that counts.

Yes this works 100% with upgrade disk and upgrade key.

ROTFLMAO! So they sent out full version disks, skippy, but they were given Upgrade keys which is why most people are reporting clean install activation! How's that again? :laugh:

You still haven't figured out that the Vista upgrade-over-itself which MS announced all over the web months ago won't work on Win7, that it works for you because the key is for FULL VERSION! <snipped>

Edited by Fred Derf

Blackhood    0
So we finally have a definitive answer to the most asked question regarding Windows 7? That yes, you CAN do a CLEAN install (on a blank partition or new hard drive, with no pre-existing windows XP, Vista or 7 install anywhere on the computer) using UPGRADE media (and upgrade key) and activate fine? Yes?

I read the comments in that article and it seems there are some people who can't get it to work.

I already have tested it, you have to install twice. Like windows vista. Install once with no key (if you enter your key the first time, it says its invailid). Then from within windows 7, re-run the upgrade and chose the "upgrade" option. When it asks for the key, it will accept it. Then you can activate once you get back into windows.

Blackhood    0
ROTFLMAO! So they sent out full version disks, skippy, but they were given Upgrade keys which is why most people are reporting clean install activation! How's that again? :laugh:

You still haven't figured out that the Vista upgrade-over-itself which MS announced all over the web months ago won't work on Win7, that it works for you because the key is for FULL VERSION! <snipped>

LOL! Then how did I get mine installed <snipped>? I have one 750GB Hard drive. it was totally blank. On the first install, from within windows 7 when I tried to enter my key windows 7 told me

I can not use this key for a fresh installation, only for upgrades. Do you understand that. It let me do a installation without a key being input.

Then I re-ran the setup from within my keyless windows 7 install, when it asked me Custom or Upgrade, I choose upgrade and when it asks for the key it accepted it. Then it activated once I got into windows.

Its the key <snipped>. Problem is you don't read.

Edited by Fred Derf

gregrocker    0

Bryan it's been tested hundreds of times today in all the tech forums and most were able to do a clean install from boot with Upgrade media.

A few went ahead with the Vista "upgrade over itself" trick that MS announced 6 months ago won't work for Win7 and are saying that is the only way to get it to activate, not realizing it is activating because we are being given FULL RETAIL KEYS with upgrades.

So try it yourself and see. Just boot from the disk, insert key upfront, Custom clean install with format and activate on Properties page when you get online. It has worked for almost everyone!

HawkMan    5,232

You need to learn to read and comprehend.

all versions of 7 use the same media, retail, oem and upgrade, even across versions like ultimate and Home premium. The only difference are 32 and 64 bit media.

They key is the.... well key. The key you input during install is what identifies what license and thus what version of the OS it will install. The home premium upgrade key will install the same version as the retail key. BUT the upgrade key will in the OS be registered as anupgrade license if you check your license information.

mhbas0001    0

How is this the biggest tech news of the year? Talk about hyperbole. Jeesh.

gregrocker    0

Man this forum suddenly has the worst case of the stoopids I have ever seen online!

We are in the middle of the biggest breaking tech story of the year, that MS has allowed Upgrades to be used exactly like full Retail, and they are opining here that maybe MS doesn't know about it, better not get caught cause it breaks the EULA, my Upgrade key wouldn't clean install so that means all the hundreds of others that did don't really exist, ad nausem the clown car screeches on.

Navy SEALS never bug out but I have never been this deep in stupid before.

Edited by gregrocker

mhbas0001    0

Again, how is this the biggest breaking tech story of the year?

gregrocker    0
Again, how is this the biggest breaking tech story of the year?

As the Win7 News blog post says and if it holds true, then it means that the price of the new WIndows O.S. has been effectively slashed by about half.

That's big.

Biohead    152
all versions of 7 use the same media, retail, oem and upgrade, even across versions like ultimate and Home premium. The only difference are 32 and 64 bit media.

They key is the.... well key. The key you input during install is what identifies what license and thus what version of the OS it will install.

are you absolutely sure on this? I know this was the case on vista, but the downloadable versions of 7 (not got my retail disk yet) are both architecture and SKU specific. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't remember my ultimate version being able to select anything but ultimate during install.

mhbas0001    0
are you absolutely sure on this? I know this was the case on vista, but the downloadable versions of 7 (not got my retail disk yet) are both architecture and SKU specific. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't remember my ultimate version being able to select anything but ultimate during install.

Yeah, I think there's a DVD for each SKU, though you can modify it so you can select an SKU during install by deleting a certain file.

hdood    145

The retail versions have them all, so Microsoft doesn't have to press so many different discs.

gregrocker    0
Bryan it's been tested hundreds of times today in all the tech forums and most were able to do a clean install from boot with Upgrade media.

A few went ahead with the Vista "upgrade over itself" trick that MS announced 6 months ago won't work for Win7 and are saying that is the only way to get it to activate, but it may be activating because the key is full retail and recognized on the second try. But some are getting error messages that upgrade couldn't be clean installed.

So try it yourself and see. Just boot from the disk, insert key upfront, Custom clean install with format and activate on Properties page when you get online. It has worked for almost everyone!

Blackhood    0

By installing it twice. And if people can do it by installing to a blank hard drive once, please post links. Because many people had to do the windows vista trick.

A few went ahead with the Vista "upgrade over itself" trick that MS announced 6 months ago won't work for Win7 and are saying that is the only way to get it to activate, not realizing it is activating because we are being given FULL RETAIL KEYS with upgrades.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Links?

Here is another guy that did it the way I did it:

From another website:

"Sorry for any confusion, I've updated my UPDATE in my post above. I just wanted to confirm that online activation was successful following scenario B where I did the 2nd install with the upgrade key after the 1st install without. Previously I had only verified that within setup the product key would be accepted. Until now I had not verified it would complete the online activation".

Edited by Blackhood

lunamonkey    118

Which one was followed? Please clarify the exact details. Jees.

1. New drive / or formatted drive.

2. Ensure any slave drives are no operating systems.

3. Put W7 Upgrade DVD in drive, and boot from DVD.

4. Install W7 on your new blank drive

5. Put in a key and activate

Or this scenario

5. Do not put in a key and do not activate

6. Load unactivated Windows 7 upgrade to desktop

7. Run DVD and start installation from inside Windows.

8. Select Upgrade

9. Allow install to run and reboot to Windows

10. Enter key and activate once on desktop.

gregrocker    0
Which one was followed? Please clarify the exact details. Jees.

5. Put in a key and activate

Or this scenario

5. Do not put in a key and do not activate

6. Load unactivated Windows 7 upgrade to desktop

7. Run DVD and start installation from inside Windows.

8. Select Upgrade

9. Allow install to run and reboot to Windows

10. Enter key and activate once on desktop.

Both scenarios are reported. I personally was able to install to a formatted HDD from boot with key given upfront and activation upon install. Others have had to use the upgrade over itself method. WHen it breaks wider tomorrow that Upgrades can be clean installed from boot (one way or the other) we will have many more cases to compare.

migo    105

I'd like to see some detailed step by step comparisons.

'Cause when I installed Server 2008 R2, it asked which version I wanted to install, and then installed everything merily. I didn't need to enter my product key until a while later. Since the install process can wipe your hard drive, you could be installing over an existing OS, but Windows wouldn't know that.

I suspect that MS may have decided to look at all the possible things that could go wrong for upgrades and just make it easy - as long as someone bought a license it's good enough for them, so they're letting things slide rather than have a bunch of angry customers.

Ricardo Gil    0
Man this forum suddenly has the worst case of the stoopids I have ever seen online!

We are in the middle of the biggest breaking tech story of the year, that MS has allowed Upgrades to be used exactly like full Retail, and they are opining here that maybe MS doesn't know about it, better not get caught cause it breaks the EULA, my Upgrade key wouldn't clean install so that means all the hundreds of others that did don't really exist, ad nausem the clown car screeches on.

Navy SEALS never bug out but I have never been this deep in stupid before.

The door is that way.

jerzdawg    338
Yeah a friend of mine who is actually a member here just told me he did a clean install over his OEM copy of Vista with the 7 Upgrade disk, he did not know about the entering no key then upgrade and add key, so he added his key on the first install, but he said it activated no problems at all for him so he is up and running.

So seems there are definitely conflicting reports here, working for some and not for others.

confirmed ... had no issues activating my copy - booted from disk, formatted, installed Home Upgrade.

grewnd33    0

There is entirely too much speculation, unclear installs scenarios, and incorrect information on this issue for it to make much sense. The only way to really know the answer is to try it with your disk. I am going to receive my Windows 7 Pro Upgrade today, and I will reformat my hard drive, and install Pro without any previous OS installed.