Linux is killing me ......

Danny D

I recently installed linux (xubuntu) on one of my PC's because i wanted to make it an http server. But then i realized that Windows is better in some ways so I wanted to put windows back. So i put in the CD and was waiting for it to boot up but nothing happens...... linux loads up. . Why isn't it booting from my CD?

+Tyranade

Set Boot From CD as your first boot device in your BIOS.

JustGeorge

Are you seeing the press key to boot from CD dialog that pops up?

Danny D

Its already set, but its not booting from CD. It tries but then it goes to HDD.... thats whats confusing me the most :s.

acnpt

If you have already set the cd drive as the first boot device, then the problem is likely to be with your actual windows cd.

Have you tried the cd on any other computers?

Danny D

Yup i have used this many times in fact i just used it before i put it on this one. The CD works, i have other bootable CD's tried those, i even tried to boot from the original linux CD it does not boot from the drives.. Everything was working fine before i installed linux.

markjensen

Linux destroyed your computer.

It is crazy to try to use it as a server, anyhow. It is hardly suited for that!

Or, more properly, your BIOS is not set to boot from the CD first, or your CD is not being read properly by that drive (marginal CD or marginal drive).

zivan56

The OS has nothing to do with booting from another drive. Unplug the hard drive and see what happens, that should help you troubleshoot it. I would guess there is a problem with your drive if the BIOS is set to boot from it first.

Danny D

i double checked and its made to boot from CD first.

Syanide
Linux destroyed your computer.

Hahaha.

Anyway, do you have more than one optical drives?

Lechio

[joke]Maybe Linux installed the boot loader directly into the BIOS.[/joke] :rofl:

Like everyone said, it's probably the CD's fault. If it worked before, try to clean it up a bit and see if it isn't scratched.

Danny D

Its not the CD i have 4 cd's 2 are windows and 2 are linux. It does not BOOT any of them :(. I disabled everything and just left the cd rom to boot, but it still does not. It just stays there and there is a blinking _.

robyholmes

Can you access a 'Boot Menu' as in can you select which device to boot from, a bot section screen. This would then make sure its reading the CD. Also can you install for memory pen? CD are old now, lol

Danny D
Can you access a 'Boot Menu' as in can you select which device to boot from, a bot section screen. This would then make sure its reading the CD. Also can you install for memory pen? CD are old now, lol

You mean a USB stick? Yes I can and it has the option to boot from there, but how is it possible to boot an ISO from a usb stick?

Lechio

You can also use GRUB (the boot loader that your Linux distro installed) to boot from a CD or even from a USB device.

Mannlich

Pay attention when the computer is booting up. Often times, it will give you a key to hit to manually select which device to boot from. As far as booting from USB flash drives....google dude, google.

Night Prowler

Most likely a bad CD. Try it on another PC. If it's a homegrown burn, it might boot on one but not another.

ncc50446

Once you're in Linux, try to open up the cd and see if there is anything in it. If there isn't, then your cd rom is most likely bad.

Danny D

Linux just started showing a blank blue page and I cannot access anything. If i enter the CD it gives me some errors, when i boot from it it seems like it does not recognize it. I changed the drive put a new one in still same thing. Linux is not recognizing the cd drive. i have also tried the cd's on different pc's and they all boot up fine.

markjensen
Linux just started showing a blank blue page and I cannot access anything. If i enter the CD it gives me some errors, when i boot from it it seems like it does not recognize it. I changed the drive put a new one in still same thing. Linux is not recognizing the cd drive. i have also tried the cd's on different pc's and they all boot up fine.

Sooo...

Now you have a computer that no CD is able to boot on? Not Windows and no longer the Linux CD that used to be able to boot on it?

And these CDs are all able to be read on other computers just fine.

The problem is your computer.

Barney T.

^ Agreed! (Yay... glad to see you back, Mark!!)

GenBlood

Make sure the cables are properly connected to the motherboard and to the cdrom drive.

Sometimes the cable might not be plugged in all the way. An if that isn't the issue,

you just might have a bad cdrom. You just have to get a replacement cdrom.