Linux is killing me ......

Motherboard problem? Use a cd drive including the ide cable from a working PC. Try it on different ports as well (primary and secondary ports). Also make sure the cd drive is properly identified in the BIOS including the device name.

I've had drives in the past that were on the fritz. The BIOS detected it but part of the device name was garbage and the drive wouldn't read stuff. Turned out the cable was no good.

This will fix it. It has done this to me in the past. LINUX buggers the HD MBR. Download something like GPARTED and burn it. Erase all partitions in gparted and create new. Then proceed to install.

Kryspy

Linux destroyed your computer.

It is crazy to try to use it as a server, anyhow. It is hardly suited for that!

Or, more properly, your BIOS is not set to boot from the CD first, or your CD is not being read properly by that drive (marginal CD or marginal drive).

well look whos back from the dead, hi mark!

This will fix it. It has done this to me in the past. LINUX buggers the HD MBR. Download something like GPARTED and burn it. Erase all partitions in gparted and create new. Then proceed to install.

Kryspy

Linux does not "bugger" the MBR. It actually is a lot nicer about multiple booting that Windows is. ;)

Plus, no amount of "buggering", including a complete wipe will prevent a Windows CD from booting.

MBR is not the problem.

well look whos back from the dead, hi mark!
Yeah, I am on a trial return. If I keep to the Linux help section things should be OK. I see that calling people douches and other things are now allowed, and not sure that I like that environment. So, will avoid those places. Like the Front Page. And Back Page news. (sigh)

But thanks for the welcome! :D

Welcome back, Mark. :)

Off topic, but I whole heartedly agree about the name calling. There is no need for that.

I agree, sounds like a hardware problem to me. Maybe the hard drive is going bad.

If I change the HDD to a new one do you think i will be able to boot from cd rom then?

no, it was a stupid suggestion. I'm not sure if he was mocking you or not.

It's either cd rom, cable going to it, or the motherboard. The fact linux was on there is just a coincidence. No OS can do that.

1. It worked before
  2. You installed linux
  3. Now it doesn't work

I don't blame you for thinking it has something to do with linux. But, as other people have mentioned, it really is not possible.

Something else must've happened.

1. You've checked the BIOS
  2. You've checked the CD media on another PC

That leaves the hardware.

you said it was giving you errors...

Specifically here:

Linux just started showing a blank blue page and I cannot access anything. If i enter the CD it gives me some errors, when i boot from it it seems like it does not recognize it. I changed the drive put a new one in still same thing. Linux is not recognizing the cd drive....

Yeah but it reads the CD though. I thought its giving me those errors because it cannot open the .iso file..

so...did you just burn the iso file as a iso file on the cd. In other words...on the cd you just have whatever.iso ... and not other directories and files?

Yeah but it reads the CD though. I thought its giving me those errors because it cannot open the .iso file..

so...did you just burn the iso file as a iso file on the cd. In other words...on the cd you just have whatever.iso ... and not other directories and files?

That's the impression that I get with his last statement.

But if that was the case, then the claim that it booted on other PCs would be impossible. :unsure:

LOL man I can just guess the next thread from Danny

The CD is not the problem, it works on all my other PC's... boots up just fine. I will be changing the HDD today.

LOL changing the HDD because your can't boot from a CD! ARE YOU SERIOUS! :o

And Windows being better as an Apache server!!! UUUMMM NO!

Edited by offroadaaron

The CD is not the problem, it works on all my other PC's... boots up just fine. I will be changing the HDD today.
:argh:

Ummm... Go right ahead.

I think I have given up here.

You might try replacing the mouse next, since it is just as likely preventing a CD from booting.

Good Luck in your endeavours.

Mark, Just let him replace the hard disk and watch it not work. It might be as simple as jumper settings on the drives, It smacks to me as a BIOS setting (Boot order).

It might not be better but for this user it might be easier for him ;)

Is it though, I haven't set up Apache on Windows for awhile, isn't it still config files and not GUI based?

IIS would be better and easier to setup, but it's just really bad and buggy.

Depends what the lads doing with it. Last time I installed Apache it was simple to install and the documentation was quite good on how to get up a simple webpage. I think IIS would confuse the lad even more. Especially if he just has XP it wont be available by default.

It might not be better but for this user it might be easier for him ;)

Changing HDD will do nothing if the CD drive is broke, other than we'll have him back then claiming that Linux also broke his new HDD