Linux is killing me ......

+John Teacake
Changing HDD will do nothing if the CD drive is broke, other than we'll have him back then claiming that Linux also broke his new HDD

I was on about setting up a http server. I think this thread needs cleaning woops!

Anibal P
I was on about setting up a http server. I think this thread needs cleaning woops!

I see, my bad too :/

Danny D

Hey guys,

I had an old HDD laying around. I replaced it put the CD in and everything booted correctly and now I am installing windows. I have never had this happen to me before and I had no idea why it was not booting up with the OLD hdd. Everything was working fine until i installed linux. Well thanks for the help guys.

+John Teacake

Well bugger me that goes against everything that I know about computers, When you say booting are you sure you dont mean installing. If thats the case then I suggest you go find Linus on some linux forums and tell him about this bug. Im sure he will be pleased.

hougtimo
Well bugger me that goes against everything that I know about computers, When you say booting are you sure you dont mean installing. If thats the case then I suggest you go find Linus on some linux forums and tell him about this bug. Im sure he will be pleased.

No he does mean booting, because he stated before that it just sat on a blank screen with a flashing cursor if he pulled the hdd out.

My money is still on an incorrect drive jumper setting, and the new hdd is set as something (cable select?) that doesn't interfere with the other drive. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a hdd and cdrom drive both set to secondary slave or something stupid.

javagreen

I'll agree with the others, this is a first ;)

Panacik
Linux does not "bugger" the MBR. It actually is a lot nicer about multiple booting that Windows is. ;)

Plus, no amount of "buggering", including a complete wipe will prevent a Windows CD from booting.

MBR is not the problem.

Yeah, I am on a trial return. If I keep to the Linux help section things should be OK. I see that calling people douches and other things are now allowed, and not sure that I like that environment. So, will avoid those places. Like the Front Page. And Back Page news. (sigh)

But thanks for the welcome! :D

Personal question, but where did you go? :s

Hey guys,

I had an old HDD laying around. I replaced it put the CD in and everything booted correctly and now I am installing windows. I have never had this happen to me before and I had no idea why it was not booting up with the OLD hdd. Everything was working fine until i installed linux. Well thanks for the help guys.

Regardless of the fact it is working, it was not Linux that did this. It is far more likely that something was loose or something was not right and when you swapped the HDD over, you pushed it back in place unknowingly.

MR_Candyman

cable or jumper problem, NOT hard drive problem

Danny D

I dont know guys i didnt even touch the cd drive as it is placed all the way at the top and my hdd is at the bottom of the case. I never had this happen to me before its very weird, but IT worked. As long as it works i dont care what it was.

sanctified
Linux does not "bugger" the MBR. It actually is a lot nicer about multiple booting that Windows is. ;)

Plus, no amount of "buggering", including a complete wipe will prevent a Windows CD from booting.

MBR is not the problem.

Yeah, I am on a trial return. If I keep to the Linux help section things should be OK. I see that calling people douches and other things are now allowed, and not sure that I like that environment. So, will avoid those places. Like the Front Page. And Back Page news. (sigh)

But thanks for the welcome! :D

One of the best members is back

Growled
LOL changing the HDD because your can't boot from a CD! ARE YOU SERIOUS! :o

It's not as crazy as it sounds. I had a computer not too long ago that refused to boot up from anything, hard drive or LiveCD. I did some checking and the hard drive had completely fried. I put in a new hard drive and everything booted perfectly. I'm not a hardware wiz and I have no idea why having a fried hard drive would stop a computer from booting from a CD, but it did in that case.

Of course, if I were he, I could check other things too, like the cables and maybe the CD drive.

bishy

Hi All, I am a 'noob' with Linux (as Mark will testify after all the help he has given me!!).

I think I read somewhere, that someone had trouble installing Windows after a Linux installation and I seem to remember that they said something about 'because the Linux partitions end up being beyond the LBA range' or something like that. Could that be the problem here?

If I have said something stupid and irrelevant, I apologise.........It was just that reading this thread reminded me of this.

BTW Welcome back Mark, it's good to see you around.

Speak to you all soon.

bishy.

markjensen

Back off topic. Where was I? At home and work. I ended up back here from a google news link. Poked around a bit. Logged in only to decry the "community" lashing of the member who sold his Windows 7 Party Pack stuff in a PM to a staff member.

Finally decided to participate in the technical threads again. Not going to the FPN area. That seems to be the gathering place for the irrational fanboys.

It's nice to be back. Even if I am shown pictures of feminine hygiene ads upon my return. :laugh:

redvamp128
Hi All, I am a 'noob' with Linux (as Mark will testify after all the help he has given me!!).

I think I read somewhere, that someone had trouble installing Windows after a Linux installation and I seem to remember that they said something about 'because the Linux partitions end up being beyond the LBA range' or something like that. Could that be the problem here?

If I have said something stupid and irrelevant, I apologise.........It was just that reading this thread reminded me of this.

BTW Welcome back Mark, it's good to see you around.

Speak to you all soon.

bishy.

I did once install Linux then try to install Windows -- and found out that I needed to reclaim the MBR with a few simple commands- Boot with Win98 boot disk-- to prompt- type

fdisk /mbr

Then I had to reinstall grub to regain my linux - I think I was running Red Hat 7 at the time.

Also I had to use a partitioning program to make a gap between the linux and windows...

Though modern Grub does a much better job at booting windows than it used to.

Unlike Windows that limits it to 4 operating systems- Grub I have seen people chain them to boot to 6 different operaing systems (4 of which were windows) but I have read that it can do even more than that.

But I have not heard of Linux destroying the booting of a CDROM- I have like said above heard of a failing hard drive not allowing the cdrom to boot.

offroadaaron

You know why it worked, because he has no clue what he is doing, every thread can be this random... With the right person creating and troubleshooting, I call PEBKAC.