Audio isn't working - Asus P5K (Realtek HD Audio)

Hi guys,

Just installed Windows 7 and my audio isn't working at all.

I downloaded some drivers (from here) and installed them, and even though the icon was familar to what I had on XP that worked, still no sound unfortunately.

The motherboard isn't that old so I don't really get why it isn't working.

Any suggestions please? :(

Thanks

Ahh, very good shout thanks, but yup I've tried that to no avail unfortunately - I've also tried going to the sound devices or whatever, going to properties of the audio driver and updating it, but the same thing, it just says it's up to date :(

Did you come from XP or Vista?

IIRC there is an option in the BIOS for changing HD Audio to Vista, which in theory should work with Windows 7.

Radish?

No luck unfortunately - and I asked on the ASUS forum just in case and they said it's not compatible with Windows 7.

The motherboard is about a year or two old, what a joke.

/note to self, never buy ASUS again...

What Asus M/B is it? I would be interested to know! Perhaps the best thing to do is go and buy a cheapish sound card, disable you onboard sound and Bob's you uncle!

Asus P5K

I know I could do that, fair enough Farstrider, but kinda defeats the purpose of onboard sound huh :( Especially when it's actually not that bad a sound chip :\

Are you sure that the board uses the Realtek chip? Or it uses one from Analog Devices/SoundMAX.

With XP do you remember what driver you were using?

Yeah, that does suck,agreed! I see that it is a pretty decent board, the problem is nowdays that in six months mother boards get old, never mind in two years! Anyway good luck with your mission, hope that you come right.

Thanks, and venejo with XP it was definitely Realtek, I recognise the little blue crab dude.

Tried the Vista drivers in compatability mode from the disc and they don't work either.

Woohoo! Tried these drivers in the end http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Aud...nload-2408.html

... still didn't work, I thought what? Moved the connector in the sound bit at the back from the top left green, to the middle bottom green and it worked! :D

No idea why I had to swap, but very, very happy with this right now \o/

Thanks once again to everyone for your advice & help btw

I have one system with a Asus modified c-media chip that is refusing to initialise the audio sub-system. The driver and the "microsoft trusted audio driver" both code 39.

It worked perfectly fine in Vista before an upgrade install.

I'm starting to suspect that it's got something to do with this new DRM layer and asus customising the audio chip firmware. I have other boards where the audio chips haven't been modified by the OEM and they are running fine under 7.

So I would agree with the poster above. Get yourself a cheap generic (unmodified) soft-chip card like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-CH-C-Media-5-1-MID...=item439a93fba3 and it may solve the problem. It's what I plan to do after testing that the upgrade install isn't responsible.

Woohoo! Tried these drivers in the end http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Aud...nload-2408.html

... still didn't work, I thought what? Moved the connector in the sound bit at the back from the top left green, to the middle bottom green and it worked! :D

No idea why I had to swap, but very, very happy with this right now \o/

Thanks once again to everyone for your advice & help btw

Check in the realtek advanced settings if your outputs are correctly configured. Open soundmanager, advanced settings. With the introduction of Vista and even more so 7 the audiopinouts are emulated.

The advantage of that being you can switch audioendpoint without quitting the soundapp.