Nikon D 90 or Cannon T1i

its not as simple as that. Even now given said choice I would still go canon. I simply like their interface and menu-systems better. I'm sure I could learn to use Nikons and eventually get familiar, but why bother. Pick a system that you find the easiest to work with and go with that. You won't be disappointed with either body. And yes as I stated Lenses make the DSLR, so make sure you pick the system you are comfortable working with since you will be stuck with it for a long time to come.

That's an personal opinion, you will have an harder time using a Nikon because you've always used them, but he is a first time DSLRer. In my personal opinion the Nikon is better,, the body is okay.

spec wise the D90 is an superior camera

i do like the body of the Canon though

Have a look at what my girlfriend does with a D40 :)

She's pretty good if you ask me :p A lot better than some of the more expensive 'pro' photographer's you find out there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/perriebelle

I'll have to check that link out thank!

doesn't the t1i compete with the d5000 not the d90

So I should be comparing that and the canon?

I really like my T1i, but could someone point out how the specs for the D90 are generally better? Seems to me to have less still resolution, less video fps and resolution, not to mention the T1i has many of the same internal processing guts as the higher tier Canons.

I really like my T1i, but could someone point out how the specs for the D90 are generally better? Seems to me to have less still resolution, less video fps and resolution, not to mention the T1i has many of the same internal processing guts as the higher tier Canons.

Well its is entry level apparently, even though it doesnt seem like it.

Resolution doesn't mean anything.

The D90 is a bigger body. It has a screen on the top of the body. It's probably stronger .

its not as simple as that. Even now given said choice I would still go canon. I simply like their interface and menu-systems better. I'm sure I could learn to use Nikons and eventually get familiar, but why bother. Pick a system that you find the easiest to work with and go with that. You won't be disappointed with either body. And yes as I stated Lenses make the DSLR, so make sure you pick the system you are comfortable working with since you will be stuck with it for a long time to come.

I don't think that the OP had much, first hand experience, using EITHER menu system. He'll have to learn to use the menus no matter which camera he chooses. When I use ANY Canon camera, I can't, for the life of me, find my way around in the menus. That isn't to say the menus aren't any good. I've just become accustomed to the Nikon Menus.

Mav Phoenix: MP's aren't the end all be all when looking into cameras. The more pixels that are packed onto a DX sized sensor, the noisier the images start to get. The D90 has a *slightly* larger image sensor (23.6 x 15.8 mm) than the T1i (22.3 x 14.9 mm) with less pixels jammed on said sensor, leading to cleaner (noise wise) images. Sony makes the sensor in the D90 (which is the same as the one in the D300 and D5000 *I Think*)

http://i.gizmodo.com/5155942/giz-explains-...ys-more-better/

i'm not hating on the T1i since that's probably the next camera i'm going to get

i'm just saying to D90 is a better mid level(i think) camera

So I've played around with the D5000 and T1i. I've changed my mind. I won't be getting a T1i, its more then I am willing to spend. So a D5000 or XSI. Both are 12mp, have pretty much the same features. Does anyone know if the D5000 has the automatic cleaning feature?

The D5000 is superior to the XSi in image quality, I'd get that even though the Canon has a bigger viewfinder and a slightly larger screen.

Well ya. The D5000 has the same sensor as the D90/D300s.

For a super cheap price you're basically getting the same image quality as the $1800 D300s. Not bad.

• 1 month later...
Could deal? Huh?

It's a good deal, however the D3000 is a lower end camera than the D90 or T1i

BTW, are the lenses the VR versions?

Awe i cant edit it. I meant "Good deal?"

Yeah its VR.

I figured i'd just go with entry grade it will work for me.

So I canceled my Nikon order. My friend has a BRAND new still seal in box Cannon XSI for $580. I'm getting that. Live view kind of won me over, I was going towards nikon because of cost. but ehh. More lenses for cannon I think. Just will take a paycheck or two to finish putting the money aside. I'll pick up a 70-200 lens later on.

Also I notice on some peoples lenses that they have an odd shape thing that's plastic, what is this? and what does it do?

Edited by Dane

Aww shame I didn't see this before :p

Especially last weekend, you could get the T1i kit for about $600-650 after bing cash back, and a little higher now...plus similar discounts on the xsi and nikon cameras.

Since you already have the camera, you should still keep an eye on deal sites (I like slickdeals.net) for lens deals as they show up

Aww shame I didn't see this before :p

Especially last weekend, you could get the T1i kit for about $600-650 after bing cash back, and a little higher now...plus similar discounts on the xsi and nikon cameras.

Since you already have the camera, you should still keep an eye on deal sites (I like slickdeals.net) for lens deals as they show up

Thanks I will check that out!