Can windows 7 64-bit run with 1 gb of ram?

I know windows 64-bit requires 2 gb of ram. Will this not allow me to install windows 7 64-bit with only 1 gb? I will be receiving more at the end of the week, but i am eager to get my brand new computer going. Can anyone tell me if i can install windows 7 64-bit now, or do i have to wait till i get over 2 gb into my system?

you can still do desktop work on 512 or less ram even :p

It would just be slow as hell.

My question to throw out there is;

The better question should be, since ram is so cheap these days, how could you possibly be unable to afford 2gb?

I did read the first post and notice he's getting more at the end of the week btw.

I'm just saying, why WOULD you run less than 2gb? It's too cheap to put up with the slowness of 512mb or so.

My question to throw out there is; why would you want to?

Its not that I want to, it because i have to. Only have 1 gig on hand and wont get my other 3 gigs of ram until Friday. I am really want to get this computer up and running before Friday so i was just wondering if it would work.

yeah it will run, pretty well too (windows vista is a lot slower with 1gb) i run ultimate on my netbook with 1gb and it runs fine. i would recommend a little more memory though, 1.5gb+ should make it smoother

2gb makes it run perfectly smooth (64bit RC7200 at least)

There's a performance difference ingame between W7 64bit and 2gb ram and my XP SP2 install though.

BIG difference. I recommend at least 4gb of ram for W7 gamers.

It will install just fine. The only real memory requirement for installing is that the installation program is able to create a RAM disk to boot Windows from, and this only takes a few hundred megabytes. In other words, go ahead and install it and just put in the extra memory when you get it.

To all those who have replied saying 'why would you want to?' or 'I suggest you buy more RAM'... how about you READ the entirety of the first post?

He has more RAM ordered and it is being delivered in a few days... in the meantime he just wants to get his new computer up and running.

1GB would be fine for that, as several others have stated. :) Once you get your new RAM, chuck it in and it will be even better.

Enjoy your new PC! :D

I ran windows vista on a desktop in the role of a file storage server, on 512 MB of ram and it was fine..... till the computer died (i think its just a bad fan but havent gotten around to tinkering with it)...

Seeing as 7 runs better on the same hardware, i don't see a reason why it wouldnt run at least adequately on 512 or 1 gig ram

Yes, I have been using Win7 64 bit on 1GB RAM machine since the pre beta days. And I have also tested Win7 32 bit on the same machine and have not noticed any performance difference.