My Sony Bravia 32" randomly darkens the screen

curme

I'm playing "Uncharted 2" and the bloody screen darkens at random intervals.

Sometimes it's normal brightness, then it darkens, and then it goes back to normal again.

It has done this before briefly sometimes, even during normal tv watching, but since I have an s-video hook-up to use my tv as a second monitor to my pc to watch movies, I figured it was just a glitch.

It has never done this before for any game, the going in and out, normal and then dark and then normal brightness again.

What's going on? Is it some power saving feature? How can I make it stop?

It's driving me batty.

Eric

Try turning off the dynamic picture control. My non-Bravia Sony does the same thing.

Mr. Gibs

Check the brightness settings. A lot of tvs nowdays have auto brightness control (or as greywolfssc says: dynamic picture control)

Basically, depending on what you're watching and the light in the room the tv will auto change the brightness to keep power consumption lower and to not strain your eyes or w/e

Tikimotel

Update your Sony Bravia with usb stick.

Mine is 1.600EA now. (32W5500)

Disable adjust "auto light limiter" in the advanced options (I've set mine to "middle" or "off")

Settings -> Picture -> Advanced Settings

(changed language to english on TV, te get correct name of the option)

link for europe:

http://support.sony-europe.com/TV/download...FW_Bravia1600EA

neufuse

sony has a firmware fix for that issue out for 32" bravia tv's... the one I just bought had a similar issue, and the firmware update is supose to fix it with auto bright and some noise on analog tv channels (static sound)

Riz360

Depends on which model you have but it could be a feature. To give more realistic blacks, in darker scenes 4000+4500 series TVs dim the entire backlight

curme

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I downloaded the firmware for my Bravia and everything is working great!