Choose 2.1 or 5.1 sound system?

Is a 2.1 channel, 80 watt speaker+sub system powerful enough fill a very large room? Or should I go with a 5.1 channel, 140 watt. Does 5.1 channel even matter when all the speakers are in the same location?

I need to fill a rectangular room that is 74' long x 13' wide with music for a dance. It has wood floors and wood walls. The set up would be located at the back of the room. An ASCII diagram:

v	SPEAKERS	v
		v				v
		v				v
		v				v
		v				v
		v				v
People People People People People

The speakers will be at a high volume, so I want to avoid distortion as much as I can. It's got to be a simple, portable setup. I have a Logitech 2.1 channel Z-4 system and a 5.1 channel X-540. Would the 5.1 channel be a huge improvement? Or would the difference be negligible in such an environment?

Unfortunately, I can't test on-site...only in my apartment.

Thanks for any help!!

Edited by futrstyl

honestly i don't this either of those little systems are capable of properly filling that large of area with good sound.

What type of setup would you suggest?

Unless you get the Logitech 5.1 sets which won't have as loud volume as mine or some more higher end ones, you will need to rent or find something used that you know at least works so you can test it can see whether or not it suits your need.

Maybe you can rent equipment in your area? If this is a dance... like, hip hop music dance, those speakers are usually as large as us :blink:

5.1 computer speakers @ 140 watt *peak* isn't going to be enough for a 74' room filled with people. He should rent a cheap portable DJ package with powered speakers of around 300W RMS, which might be possible for ~$100. Something like this:

http://djparentals.com/rent-pro-audio/spea...-speaker-pack-1

That's really more for public speaking than music, but it's cheap. Maybe you can add a subwoofer.

Also remember those things use 1/4" and XLR jacks so you need converters if you're going to hook up a PC or an iPod to them.

Just let a professional do it. If I were to take that gig on (cant give exact info as ive never seen the room), id be taking 2x, maybe even 4x RCF 312a (tops), and 2x RCF 705as (subs), that gear alone costs over ?3000, but i must admit it is high end. Even with low end equipment it would still cost about ?750-1000 for the gear.

Edit: There is no way on earth id use the equipment linked above, its just not powerful enough for a room that size, heck, i wouldn't even use that in my living room.

Edited by Kenji

Just let a professional do it. If I were to take that gig on (cant give exact info as ive never seen the room), id be taking 2x, maybe even 4x RCF 312a (tops), and 2x RCF 705as (subs), that gear alone costs over ?3000, but i must admit it is high end. Even with low end equipment it would still cost about ?750-1000 for the gear.

Edit: There is no way on earth id use the equipment linked above, its just not powerful enough for a room that size, heck, i wouldn't even use that in my living room.

He's talking about a budget of $100. What do you recommend for that price? Renting would be the cheapest thing he can do. Computer speakers aren't going to be enough in any case.