Zune HD Gets Its First 3D Games (And They're All Free)

The last Zune HD firmware update apparently had one more trick up its sleeve: 3D gaming, finally. And while the new games might be late in coming to the Zune Marketplace, they look worthwhile. And more importantly, they're free.

Anyone with Zune HD 4.3 should be able to mosey on over to the Zune Marketplace, where they'll find a few new surprises. Or what would have been surprises, if I wasn't about to totally ruin them right here:

? PGR: Ferrari Edition

? Lucky Lane Bowling

? Vans Sk8

? Piano (it's a piano toy, not strictly a game)

? Audio Surf: Tilt

? Checkers

It's not quite the same as having an open marketplace with a full SDK?presumably Microsoft's actively helping push these things along to keep Zune HD users interested?but it's a start.

souricon.gif News source: Gizmodo

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Will be downloading all of these after work/working out.

I wish I could just pay Microsoft a dollar or something to skip the annoying ads though. :laugh:

Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be any more news for the international rollout of the Zune HD. :hmmm:

There is a SDK of sorts out I think, these games should be made with XNA. As for a marketplace I think MS might be waiting for WinMo7 first? If the rumors of that having the zune software as well are true then it'd make sense.

I thought it was the same size as the iPod Touch's? :blink:

nope, unfortunately the screen is smaller than ipod touch. Just on the border of being uncomfortably small for gaming and web browsing.

To be honest, I'd prefer if Audiosurf was touch based rather than relying on the accelerometer. Would be easier to control the ship that way.

Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be any more news for the international rollout of the Zune HD. :hmmm:

Yeah was hoping to hear some more information regarding that. I'd be interested in picking up one in the UK.