• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Football] Winter Transfer Window 09/10

HilariousNinja    6

About that Benzema move, it's very likely Macheda and/or Welbeck will go out on loan. Berba is absolutely useless and Owen well he never gets a chances. Hope the rumour is true we need a little spark up front, Rooney and Giggsy can't do all the work.

Subject Delta    108

Arsenal are welcome to Babel, but he isn't the answer to their strike problems IMO. 9 goals in 67 starts is a poor return for any striker, even Kuyt has a higher return rate than that.

Kralik    3

Was on the cards for a while.. all the best to Fran Merida.. he will be a great player for Spain and maybe Barca/Real after some years..

Kralik    3
Arsenal are welcome to Babel, but he isn't the answer to their strike problems IMO. 9 goals in 67 starts is a poor return for any striker, even Kuyt has a higher return rate than that.

My point exactly.. I feel Yossi has been better for Liverpool and he has scored some important goals as well.. don't know how well Babel will do at Birm.. he is very talented but needs a team to suit his style.. Arsenal can be good for him but with our scoring midfield I dont see a need for him.. we need a good experienced striker like Agbonlahor.. who can play as a lone striker and is physical enough for the English game.. None of our strikers can play with their backs to the goal with the exception of Bendtner.. Gignac is a good option too but he will need time to adjust to EPL unless he does an Arshavin..

Subject Delta    108

If I where arsenal i'd look at strengthening the defense, I don't really think scoring goals has been their downfall this season. As for Benayoun, I can't see him being sold any time soon, he is a vital part of our creative outlet, and rafa knows that.

Damo R.    29,672

4.jpg

Veron turns down Man City

Midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron has turned down a 7-million-pound ($11.2 million) offer to move from Argentine club Estudiantes to the English Premier League's Manchester City.

Veron's representative said the Argentina playmaker turned down the overture from City manager Roberto Mancini. The two played together at Italian clubs Lazio and Sampdoria and Mancini later coached Veron at Inter Milan.

Veron's representative Miguel Pires said in a radio interview on Tuesday that Man City had offered to pay Estudiantes 7 million pounds ($11.2 million) and pay Veron the same amount.

"The fax arrived offering 7 million pounds for Sebastian and the same amount for the club," Pires said on radio La Red. "But Sebastian didn't move a muscle, and neither did the vice president of the club."

The news agency DYN quoted Veron saying "it was not a matter of money," and said he felt more comfortable staying with the Argentine club.

Veron led Estudiantes to the Copa Libertadores title last year - the top club title in South America - and has been one of the most consistent players on Argentina's up-and-down national team coached by Diego Maradona.

He was Estudiantes' best player in the Club World Cup final last month in Abu Dhabi, where Barcelona won 2-1 in extra time on a goal by countryman Lionel Messi.

Veron, 34, moved to Manchester United in 2001 and later played with Chelsea, but had only so-so success with both English clubs.

Man City has splashed out big money in the last several seasons on the transfer market, acquiring top players like Robinho, Carlos Tevez, Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

JoeC    107

Damnit, I was hoping he'd go to City. It would be great to have Kane playing in the EPL :p

Damo R.    29,672

American Adu joins Greek club Aris on loan from Benfica

THESSALONIKI, Greece -- American forward Freddy Adu is joining the Greek club Aris on an 18-month loan deal from Benfica.

The club announced the deal Wednesday but did not disclose financial details.

Adu, 20, was seen as an emerging star as a teenager, but has failed to establish himself at Benfica and was loaned in September to the smaller Portuguese club Belenenses.

The Ghana-born soccer player commented on the deal on his Twitter feed, saying that "a lot of thought and research went into this."

Aris is currently in fourth place in the Greek league with 25 points. Panathinaikos leads with 38 points, followed by Olympiakos with 36.

---

Babel interested in Blues switch

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has been told Ryan Babel will consider a move to St Andrews if a fee can be agreed with Liverpool.

McLeish is understood to have had a ?9million offer rejected by the Reds for the 23-year-old striker who finds himself on the periphery at Anfield. The Holland international has started just three Barclays Premier League games this season as he has primarily been used as a substitute.

Speaking to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, Babel's agent Winnie Haatrecht said: "We know that Liverpool is seriously thinking about the offer from Birmingham. We would consider a deal if both clubs come to an agreement."

He added: "In general Ryan wants to succeed at Liverpool, but if the people at Anfield conclude it's better he leaves, we have to think about the next chapter in his career.

"We will look then to the team, the perspectives of the club and Ryan, as well as a meeting with the manager."

With new owner Carson Yeung apparently providing a transfer budget of ?40million, City boss Alex McLeish is naturally being linked with a welter of players.

McLeish is also believed to have failed with a ?10million offer for Celtic winger Aiden McGeady, whilst he is rumoured to be poised to return to former club Rangers to prise away striker Kris Boyd.

The Scot, meanwhile, is moving ever closer to landing long-term target Michel from Sporting Gijon.

Sporting have authorised the ?3million transfer for the midfielder as they are desperate for the funds.

Sporting president Manuel Vega Arango said: "We have convinced the technical staff this (the deal) is for the best, because we have to improve the financial situation at the club. I understand (coach) Manuel Preciado was keen to limit the damage to the squad, but this is what we have to do."

Damo R.    29,672

k2rRR.jpg

Diarra hopes for a dream move to United

Real Madrid midfielder Mahamadou Diarra is available in the January transfer window and has been linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Diarra was also linked with United when he was at Lyon, but nothing came of a conversation between his agent and Sir Alex Ferguson.

A possible move to either United or another top European club could hit a stumbling block, however, and all depends on Real?s valuation of the player.

In an exclusive interview with Sport.co.uk agent Frederic Guerra revealed that his client is available for transfer.

When asked if the player will leave Madrid, he said: ?For now in January it is possible, but it will be very difficult. It depends how much money a club is willing to pay the player, and how much Real Madrid want for the player.

?His contract finishes in 2011, so he still has time to run.?

Guerra was coy when asked which Premier League clubs were interested in the Malian international. ?I will say that three years ago I spoke with Sir Alex Ferguson about Diarra but he didn?t give me any money.?

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has tracked the progress of the combative midfielder since the former Lyon player moved to Real Madrid.

The signing of Portsmouth?s Lassana Diarra and injury problems have relegated the defensive midfielder to the bench at the Bernabeu.

However, Manchester United?s recent dip in form and the long-term injury problems regarding Owen Hargreaves could see Sir Alex Ferguson look to add some steal to his side.

Damo R.    29,672

Liverpool reject Birmingham's ?8m bid for Ryan Babel

Liverpool have turned down an ?8m offer for Ryan Babel from Birmingham City, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds bought the 23-year-old Dutch winger from Ajax for ?11.5m in July 2007 but he has struggled to hold down a regular first-team spot.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has publicly insisted Babel is not for sale and turned down Ajax's attempt to take him on loan in January 2009.

Babel has made three starts in 10 Premier League appearances this season.

A lack of first-team action could harm his chances of making Dutch manager Bert van Marwijk's 2010 World Cup squad.

The pacy 6ft winger has scored five times in 37 international matches for the Netherlands.

His signing would be a coup for Birmingham as boss Alex McLeish looks to dip into money made available following the takeover of the Midlands outfit by Carson Yeung in October 2009.

It has been reported McLeish will have up to ?40m to spend, although this figure would include wages and not purely transfer money.

Valerus    1

So will Babel remain on the bench?

And it looks like Wenger will finally make a dip into the transfer pool. Bendtner probably won't be fit soon enough. So this is actually decent news.

Damo R.    29,672
So will Babel remain on the bench?

And it looks like Wenger will finally make a dip into the transfer pool. Bendtner probably won't be fit soon enough. So this is actually decent news.

yeah probably ?8m seems like a fair deal but he probably wants closer to ?11m

Martyn    5

All the money goes to the Yanks anyway...

Damo R.    29,672

Xkent.jpg

Manchester United lose out as Douglas Costa joins Shakhtar Donetsk

Gr?mio have confirmed that their highly-coveted midfielder, Douglas Costa, has joined Shakhtar Donetsk for ?6.5 million (?5.8 million). The contract was signed on Wednesday but the speed of the deal surprised everyone including the player who was preparing for pre-season with Gr?mio. ?I wasn?t expecting it. I found out from my agent [Cesar Bottega] when I was still on the bus heading to Bento Gon?alves [for training]. I expected something to happen, but I was focused on Gr?mio. Now, I have to think of Shakhtar. I am very happy. The club has tried to buy me twice so I hope I?ll meet their expectations ??. This news may come as a blow to Manchester United who were thought to have been tracking the 19-year-old for over a year and had apparently came very close to signing Costa. At one point, United had apparently even tried to take the Brazil Under 20 player on a two-week loan but this was ruled out by Gr?mio. Back in July, I wrote an article wondering whether United were being conned over Costa. But towards the end of 2009, the teenager began to show a little of what he could really do - albeit at a time when Gr?mio were out of the running in the Campeonato Brasileiro. The sum paid by the Ukraine side is considerably lower than what Gr?mio were asking for a few months ago and some United fans may feel aggrieved that their club has lost out and a player who has the potential to be something special.

Weld_El_7aj    7

Anyone heard about Viera signing with City?

i saw it in some Spanish pappers this morning

leesmithg    226
Anyone heard about Viera signing with City?

i saw it in some Spanish pappers this morning

Is that Patrick Vieira?

edit/ If that is he, he is having a medical at East Lands this afternoon.

Edited by leesmithg

Weld_El_7aj    7
Is that Patrick Vieira?

edit/ If that is he, he is having a medical at East Lands this afternoon.

Yes, it's him, I missed one I in hes name,

so it's confirmed i guess

Damo R.    29,672

yeah it's been on the cards the last few days really.

Martyn    5

Apparently we have got the Maxi deal completed. ?1.5 million, 18 month contract.

Not bad for a player who was banded around for ?20 million little over a year ago.

Damo R.    29,672
Apparently we have got the Maxi deal completed. ?1.5 million, 18 month contract.

Not bad for a player who was banded around for ?20 million little over a year ago.

not a bad bit of business!

Kralik    3
Mauro Zarate's agent claims Arsenal are interested in signing the Argentine star.

The Lazio striker has previously impressed in England with Birmingham, and he has continued his good form in Serie A.

Zarate joined Lazio in 2008, but he is now being linked with a move to Arsenal and his agent claims to have held talks.

"I am in contact with Arsenal," Jose Alberti is quoted by the Italian media.

"A couple of days ago a leader of the English club asked me about him.

"Arsenal wants to increase their attacking options and so already they are

I don't rem how good he was when he played for Birm.. never really paid attention to Birm's games unless played us.. its not going to happen anyways.. 1) coz he's as small as Arshavin and 2) agent says we are willing to give 40M Euros for him which AW never will..

Sporting Gijon have announced the departure of midfielder Michel to Birmingham City.

Michel's move to Birmingham - as reported by Goal.com on Wednesday - has now been confirmed by the Spanish club and is subject to a medical, due to take place on Friday.

Alex McLeish is pretty busy this winter..

Edited by Kralik

Damo R.    29,672

Brum have some serious buying cash this winter! problem is will he get his targets!

I read West Ham are interested in Marlon Harewood :|

Kralik    3
Brum have some serious buying cash this winter! problem is will he get his targets!

I read West Ham are interested in Marlon Harewood :|

Speaking of Hammers.. I'd we rather sign Carlton Cole from you than sign Zarate.. Cole offers smth we miss.. Zarate doesn't..

Damo R.    29,672
Speaking of Hammers.. I'd we rather sign Carlton Cole from you than sign Zarate.. Cole offers smth we miss.. Zarate doesn't..

really he's still a bit crocked :p, I remember at the beginning of the season when pundits were saying Fergie to spend ?25m on him :rofl: we'll graciously take 25p right now!

Dance.    21

DONT TOUCH MAH MAXI ! HE STAYS AT ATLETICO :cry:.