vga to hdmi

is this even possible? would this work? theres hundreds of them on the bay... if it works that would be just right.. i want to connect to my hd tv .. dont care if i cant drive 1080p... just if i could drive 1920x1080 (i?) and my dad would love to connect his computer to his 60 inch tv...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-2-Meters-HDMI-Mal...=item3ca74f4dea

I highly doubt this works..... connecting your computer to your TV is harder than a simple cable like this, especially if you don't have a tv output built in. I could be wrong though!

Is this a laptop or desktop? if desktop, perhaps you could get a new video card with DVI or HDMI?

well the desktop is old school and they dont make a standard pci with hdmi or too pricey...

ive seen usb modules for around 50 that drive 1080p..

i could get one for a dollar and be out about 5 bucks shipping..

but i feel the same vga is analogue and hdmi is digital

for me its a laptop

for my dad its an old celeron 1.2ghz desktop would be used just for the fact of web browsing and stuffff

its about the same as going from straight VGA to DVI

ie. a transcoder box

like this??? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

the USB box will be crap for speed. yea sure it will get you a nice 720p desktop, but with the performance of unaccelerated VGA. useless for whatever you might be trying. basically a video card attached to the USB bus.

the type of box i am thinking of has a VGA input and a digital (DVI or HDMI) output, usually with a Y-Pb-Pr output too as an added feature. they cost a couple hundred $$, and are meant for special applications.

don't bother looking for a PCI card with an HDMI port. no, get something with a DVI and use an HDMI-DVI cable to connect it. just saw a 256 meg GeForce PCI for $40 in a TigerDirect catalog i got in the mail. good luck