WMP12 sucks so bad

I hate it.

1. The now playing interface is horrible.

2. There is no WMP on the taskbar

3. There is no advance tag editor anymore.

The best thing about it is the ability to play popular video codecs. Other than that, it is a major downturn compared to the previous versions.

Ah, we're all so glad you shared your feelings with us. Is there a question somewhere in there? No, offense, but that kind of rant just belongs in your personal blog, where people who care what you think can go and read it.

The now playing interface isn't that bad, and frankly, I hated the stupid 'mini-player' on the taskbar. It's better just to have the controls come up when you hover over the icon. But that's my opinion. Maybe I should start a new thread about that.

That's just your opinion. I personally like it like this. The now playing interface is cleaner and lighter. And yes,there is some taskbar integration. I really don't find the reasons that you mentioned there enough to hate a program or to catalogue it as inferior ;).

He's not wrong though. They've made changes that sort of alienate previous advanced users.

I actually like the new design, but then I never used any of the things that are now missing to begin with.

I'm just saying compared to WMP11, it sucks. I want to see what others think about it, whether they like it or not.

Yeah, we noted that from the original post: Hate, Sucks. But again, there was no where in there where you even hinted that you wanted to hear someone else's opinion about the product. Remember what Obi-Wan said, only a Sith deals in absolutes. You don't want to be a Sith do you? Just say that you don't like it as much as WMP 11. Then (in your original post) you could ask what others think. Maybe work with it for a little while and then see if you don't hate on it as much. Hate is a strong emotion. Save it for things that really matter and are truly evil.

Yeah, we noted that from the original post: Hate, Sucks. But again, there was no where in there where you even hinted that you wanted to hear someone else's opinion about the product. Remember what Obi-Wan said, only a Sith deals in absolutes. You don't want to be a Sith do you? Just say that you don't like it as much as WMP 11. Then (in your original post) you could ask what others think. Maybe work with it for a little while and then see if you don't hate on it as much. Hate is a strong emotion. Save it for things that really matter and are truly evil.

You right I should have mentioned that I wanted to hear someone else's opinion. I just assumed people would start a discussion or something. Other than that, you're taking life way too seriously...

Best post I have seen on Neowin yet. :) (Y)

I hate it.

The best thing about it is the ability to play popular video codecs. Other than that, it is a major downturn compared to the previous versions.

Search on Google for the instructions on how to get WMP 11 working in 7.

You right I should have mentioned that I wanted to hear someone else's opinion. I just assumed people would start a discussion or something. Other than that, you're taking life way too seriously...

Bro, you don't just a little sense the slight twinge of humor in that? I'm just busting your chops a little.

I hate it.

For number 2. Just hover over the window to give similar toolbar controls.

I like it, mostly. But there are also things I don't like. So its all grey; neither totally black nor entirely white. What I don't like includes:

1. No Advanced Tag Editor. While I can work around it by editing and batch editing in the library itself, the ATE was more useful.

2. WMP12 does not remember window sizes across mode switches reliably.. Start in library view, switch to now playing, resize, close. Start again in library view. Window size customizations made to library view previously is lost. [Or something like that, don't hit that problem regularly, but do so pretty frequently. So, can't nail down the repro-every-time steps].

3. The different placements of the mode switch button in library and now playing mode hampers muscle memory.

4. Grouping and sorting is not editing aware. In any view that has grouping, edit any item that causes the listing to be rearranged, the ordering updates as soon as the focus moves to a different item (say use down arrow to edit the next item, or tab to edit a different field). That either turns edit mode off, or associates the edit control with a different item than intended. It should rearrange when there are no more fields being actively edited. [This problem existed in WMP11 as well; WMP12 fixed a handful of instances but the problem still mostly exists].

I like WMP 12, but then I didn't use much of the advanced features. However, I hate trying to access the Equalizer, it was much easier to access in WMP11, even though it still isn't a menu option (I mean, what the hell is up with that?).

Media Player Classic HomeCinema is my epic movie player!! and Winamp for my audio files... :cool:

I won't bother using anything else :rolleyes:

While there are some things I don't like about WMP12, the pro's simply outweigh the con's IMO.

Pro's:

1. PlayTo

2. Now Playing

3. Song Preview

4. Codec support

5. Internet Media Sharing

6. More streamlined interface

Con's:

1. Some things feel like an afterthought after attempting to streamline the interface. Enhancements being hard to find, redundant contexts menu's, some items have a "Well, we couldn't find a place in the UI for this so we slapped it in the context menu" feel.

2. Lack of the Advanced Tag Editor.

3. Random CPU spikes.

Again, the con's aren't enough for me to "hate" a program. I believe with some more thought, WMP could be so much better as far as UI goes. With that said, I think the WMP team should just merge with the Zune team and just make only the Zune software. Zune with WMP's features would just put it to a level of awesomeness that hasn't been reached before.

You can also add to that list that it STILL doesn't support id3 2.4 tags and (to me at least) that it doesn't recognize multiple disc albums. I switched to the Zune 4.0, but I really miss syncing with my PMP. :(