Welcome Screen in Windows 2003

Neither of those are available in the operating system,

I don't use Windows Server 2003 at all anymore, especially as a workstation, but maybe someones figured out how to get the Welcome Screen to work on Server 2003.

i tried to make the welcome screen usable in windows 2k3 but i didn't figured out how windows knows when to use the welcome screen and classic logon.

As far as i know there is no way, i tried to use the registry key from where windows xp knows what to do but nothing happens. maybe i try experimenting more in the future with win 2k3 under vmware.

DOCa Cola

These features would be pointless for Microsoft to put into a Server OS, as only one person needs to log in and there would be no need to have the fruity Welcome Screen on a server.

I don't use Windows Server 2003 at all anymore, especially as a workstation

Here we go again .... its not about whether Win 2k3 should be used as WS or not ... Thats not the issue ... i was just curious if it was possible to enable the Welcome Screen or not.

i dont think ive eva heard of a welcome screen for win 2003...

first u would have to make the ntoskernel.exe file then tell windows to execute it...hard and pointless

Here we go again .... its not about whether Win 2k3 should be used as WS or not ... Thats not the issue ... i was just curious if it was possible to enable the Welcome Screen or not.

I didn't mean it that way, I should have reworded the statement; what I meant was - its been months since Ive used Server 2003, and I had never tried anything like getting the welcome screen on it... thats all I meant.

These features would be pointless for Microsoft to put into a Server OS, as only one person needs to log in and there would be no need to have the fruity Welcome Screen on a server.

Exactly, plus it presents security issues.

you already used tweaknt to convert it to a workstation, so there's not much more you have to do to enable it. The easiest way would be to download stylexp and check use the welcome screen.

i don't believe that the files to use it are included in any versions of windows server 2003. all it needs is classic to prevent people from hacking passwords, because ctrl alt delete would bring up task manager if it was program, which.... yeah nevermind ;)

i dought they took the stuff for fast switching out just dissabled it

hell they left the xp 2003 crap in there

if you root around the 2003 cd you can even find system restore (YUCK)

they left alot of stuff that isnt needed for a server in :)

ws all the way

So there is a possibility  ... that is Style XP ... but i believe it is a shareware ... some other freeware possible ?

it doesnt matter if its shareware, all your doing is enabling a registry key with it, you can uninstall it right after u change the setting

and yes, all the files to use the welcome screen are there because i've done it before

ws all the way

really? just out of curiosity, how did u install that?

ws all the way

What files are for System Restore on the CD? Because this I gotta see :D

i didnt install it but i know you can get sys restore working off the files from xp disk my friend set it up for his father (lazy stupid bastage)

you will have to check inside cab files i would bet that its in the cab's of 2k3 as well

i dont like sys restore so i dont use it :)

Any chance of link for TweakNT, i've searched everywhere for it but i can only find dead links :/

I believe that Microsoft got on their case and they dissapeared. If you PM someone... coughmecough, i'm sure they could link you to on :shifty:

So, we have to use the normal XP cd's cab files somehow and stick it into Windows Server 2003?

Anyone have more information? Thanks PF Prophet - your opinion of dislike for System Restore is respected.

Thus, this question is directed at others who would be willing to shed some light...

About stylexp ... the official site that hosted it http://www.tgtsoft.com/ is down for some time ... i did manage to get it from other source its version 1.0.1.

Currently i cant test in on windows 2003 box right now ...

is it the right one ?

If no what version should be used.

I tried StyleXP_1_0_1m but it wont even install ... shows lists of other builts that it can be installed.

Is there a seperate version of style xp for that ... any links ?

Hello

I don't know if it works for everybody but try to create a new DWORD value called LogonType in

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

and enter the value of 1