• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Build HTPC? or PS3?

netwokz    0

This is my first Topic, so i thought this would be the best place, but if i am wrong please let me know.

I have an old PC (P4, 2GB RAM, Intel video) connected to our projector in the living room, i am looking to upgrade. I mainly use it for downloading torrents, watching movies, and as a simple movie and music server for mine and my roommates laptops. It can play most 720p videos, but some struggle. I am doing some research and found out i can load Ubuntu on the PS3(not the slim) and use it as a computer and game console. So, would that be better then building a new comp? I am dual booting my laptop with Win7 and Ubuntu to try and learn linux a bit, but would a Linux PS3 be as reliable and as easy to use for a server/media player as windows XP like my current setup? I have two external 1TB HDDs with my media on it, will they plug into the PS3 and work like normal?

Thanks in advance.

netwokz    0

I hate to bump my own thread, but i am curious if anybody has any ideas.

Billus    135

Go for the PC solution. Just grab an el' cheapo graphics card to play hi-def movies smoothly. An ATI 4350 should do the job nicely. It doesn't require any external power either than the PCI Express x16 slot. Do you want to play games on it or is it just for media center use?

svnO.o    27

I'd build a HTPC (just purchased parts for a HTPC myself). Much more flexibility/options and fun building it!

InterceptorX    10

I put Ubuntu on my PS3 for the hell of it, I'll never do it again. So slow. Not enough RAM. I have a USB keyboard and mouse and I don't have a hub, so I couldn't use a flash drive to add swap space. I couldn't open OpenOffice and Firefox at the same time. Defiantly go with the PC.

bob21    0

Surely you could put that money to use for a nice NAS setup and just use Twonky to stream the files via WIFI to the PS3 ?

HawkMan    5,232

a PS3 is never going to be able to replace a proper, even cheap HTPC. and the HTPC can always be expanded, add on a bd drive later, a DVB tuner++ it can do so much more and have interfaces a lot better suited for the job than the ps3.

Raa    1,563

HTPC, by far the best solution. (Y)

witalit    15

I recently purchased my own upgrade to my HT setup. So much better than having a PS3 I think as the poster above said you can customise it a lot more! I have quite a powerful dual core setup with a Radeon HD 4350 (I think). Runs everything I have thrown at it including Blu Ray and HD Rips! Only cost me maximim of ?250 for a Dual Core, 4GB Ram and powerful enough gfx card to run HD.

I vote for new HTPC!

netwokz    0

Well thanks for the quick replies. So HTPC it is then. I wont be doing any gaming, its strictly for media center. Again thanks for the advice. Ill let you know how the build goes once i start ordering parts!

Dashel    542

Depends if you need a DVR or not...

Hellacool    7

Build the cheap HTPC and use XBMC Live, just Google it. I loaded it on my old machine and it works like a champ.