• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft needs to get there crap together

KeeperOfThePizza    49

Windows 7 is great, I love it. No problems even in Beta but seriously they need a decent looking GUI and there is so many good people who make themes, like Capricorn and some other dude i dont know but like seriously microsoft needs a good GUI, glass is nice but its just overpowering in my opinion, even i could come up with someone so cliche, not to mention its been around FOREVER the glass idea is terrible. Many people who even get a "Mac" like the way it looks which entices people to buy it cause it looks great.. I know looks are not everything but really though it is, it's what sells. I see so many people with Mac's that just sit there and do nothing with it except type and browse. If they made a better looking OS, i can guarantee sales would go up even more. people don't go PC because it's never even rivaled Mac OS x's design.

Thank you for reading my drunken non sense.

Subject Delta    108

I beg to differ, I prefer the Windows UI by that of OSX by miles, you are talking about boring and grey, and I really can't see why so many people think it is so wonderful and pretty. Aero certainly seems to be pretty popular, and Windows 7 is selling in vast quantities at this moment in time so they must be doing something right.

Simple fact is, that if you want something that looks and functions like OSX, then use OSX.

cybertimber2008    43

Yea you know they tried looks over performance with Vista, it didn't really sell.

(note: didn't really have any issues with vista personally).

But the BEST part about Windows is if you don't like the look, there really isn't a lot standing in your way and changing it. So go for it.

John Freeman    32

Tnx but no tnx, ill stay with my ugly looking os.

hdood    145
Yea you know they tried looks over performance with Vista, it didn't really sell.

(note: didn't really have any issues with vista personally).

Except Aero in 7 looks pretty much looks exactly the same as Vista? The idea that looks affect performance is also absurd.

But the BEST part about Windows is if you don't like the look, there really isn't a lot standing in your way and changing it. So go for it.

...Except that the themeing system is completely locked down and requires hacking system files?

Okay, so you can change the window border color and opacity (which I always do as the default is ridiculous and seems to be about showing off transparency, which was interesting in 1987), but little else.

Eice    13
Except Aero in 7 looks pretty much looks exactly the same as Vista? The idea that looks affect performance is also absurd.

Whoa. Slow down, man. "Similar but with many tweaks all over that makes Win7 look better" doesn't mean "exactly the same". Don't go too fast, you can confuse yourself there.

...Except that the themeing system is completely locked down and requires hacking system files?

... Except that there are programs that do it automatically for you? What, you were expecting to have to bust open a hex editor?

Lamp0    635
I beg to differ, I prefer the Windows UI by that of OSX by miles, you are talking about boring and grey, and I really can't see why so many people think it is so wonderful and pretty.

Well it's personal preference in the end. I use Vista & I do actually like Aero, but OsX's Aqua seems alot more professionally designed.. And I think the point of grey is to be boring or neutral. Do we really want window frames that are so pretty we stare at them all day?

I don't think Microsoft "need to get there crap together", but I think they could do alot better than Aero, but they could also do alot worse.

ajua    61

I've never been a grammar troll because English is not my native language but everyday I see more and more people write THERE instead of THEIR. Just a thought that crossed my mind when seeing this topic's title...

Back to topic, I disagree with those that think the looks of Windows 7 or Vista are ugly. Of course, it is far from perfect but I would take Aero over MacOS X interface any day.

I also see Microsoft standardizing or streamlining the overall look of the OS to as a good thing. It started with Vista and now with Windows 7 more and more developers and going for standard GUI's in their applications and not those ridiculous interfaces we saw in the XP days.

hdood    145
Whoa. Slow down, man. "Similar but with many tweaks all over that makes Win7 look better" doesn't mean "exactly the same". Don't go too fast, you can confuse yourself there.

Oh please, give me a break. It looks the same.

... Except that there are programs that do it automatically for you? What, you were expecting to have to bust open a hex editor?

No doubt there are programs that will automate the patching process, but that doesn't change the fact that it's completely unsupported and that Windows is designed specifically to not support any user customization.

TheTempestSonata    4
Simple fact is, that if you want something that looks and functions like OSX, then use OSX.

Took the words out of my mouth.

hdood    145
I also see Microsoft standardizing or streamlining the overall look of the OS to as a good thing. It started with Vista and now with Windows 7 more and more developers and going for standard GUI's in their applications and not those ridiculous interfaces we saw in the XP days.

Well, at least until Office 2010 comes along and brings back the custom GUI. This is Microsoft tradition. Maybe not quite as ridiculous as what was once popular, but others will follow Microsoft's example and make custom GUIs. After all, if not even Microsoft gives a damn, then why should anyone else?

Raa    1,548

I think it looks fine. In fact, I like it more than any previous O/S.

Sorry, -1 vote.

ajua: Your use of the ellipsis in your first sentence was redundant. Also, there was no need for the apostrophe when referring to GUIs.

When you're going to pick on someone for spelling or grammar, make sure your own backyard is clean first. :)

Damn English trolls! :p

Liana    155

<teasing>

"Automatic spelling and grammar check for everything I type. I'm a PC, and Windows 8 was my idea."

</teasing>

I know, I know, you were drunk. :)

Panda X    80

It's just an opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they need to get their crap together.

saasn    4

I don't give a rats what it looks like, as long as it functions well and does what I want it to do I'm pleased.

npe    0

If it troubles you and you can't ignore it, then go and fix it yourself. Complaining like this won't get anything done.

Like many products, some people like them, some don't. The good thing is we have a few options available when it come to OS choices. If you're stuck with it then might as well learn to like it...why live bitter when you can make something possitive out of it.

Hot    226

One thing you are probably missing is that the Windows UI is not meant to only look good but be accessible as well. Unfortunately accessability often means high contrast, oversized elements, etc. But it is necessary considering how many different kinds of customers, including visually impaired ones, Windows has to cater to right out of the box. This is one area where Macs completely fail. Completely. You cannot even change the screen DPI in OS X and "resolution-independent scaling" has been "coming" for the past 3 major releases of OS X.

Biotoxic_hazard_835    151

Mmmmkay, I think I'll just stick with my "ugly" Windows 7.

Eice    13
Oh please, give me a break. It looks the same.

I was having doubts before, but I think this comment of yours pretty much clears it up. Either you're blind, or you're a sterling example of someone who mindless regurgitates wholesale hype.

No doubt there are programs that will automate the patching process, but that doesn't change the fact that it's completely unsupported and that Windows is designed specifically to not support any user customization.

So? People have been doing it for years with no problems whatsoever. Is there any practical concern at all, or is this just something for you to latch onto and bleat and moan about?

(Spork)    87
I beg to differ, I prefer the Windows UI by that of OSX by miles, you are talking about boring and grey, and I really can't see why so many people think it is so wonderful and pretty. Aero certainly seems to be pretty popular, and Windows 7 is selling in vast quantities at this moment in time so they must be doing something right.

QFT

redvamp128    321

I think in his drunk state -- what he was going for was -- (not my opinion but a sampling what others have stated and complained about)

This is what I have read and people have talked about.

Windows 7 was what Vista should have been and nothing new - just done a bit more tidy

They could have let you add for example your own custom borders around windows (inserting your own bitmaps for backgrounds like in earlier Internet Explorers) without having to buy extra software.

Let me change the start menu icon easily- Or even include a program that would let me move the login screen around and insert my own custom image. (linux has had that for years)

--- End of what others I have read have complained about and said.

My personal reflections now-

I liked Windows XP though would only change it to the Windows 2000 menu style so that I could more easily find what I was looking for.-

Though day by day the more I am using Windows 7 I do like it. And even now using Vista it is just a bit more rough but still functional. I had been using linux for the past year and 1/2 and still now use it in a VM- and it does let you customize by default more.

bornslippy    0

You don't need to hack any system files thanks to Rafael's UxStyle service which allows you to use unsigned themes without ever touching any system files.

And if you don't like the way it looks, why not just make your own theme instead of complaining about how the Windows UI team has made it look.

And if that is too hard for you then there is loads of good designers out there who has made their own effort to make some very awesome UI's which can freely be downloaded and applied.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UxStyle

ajua    61
I think it looks fine. In fact, I like it more than any previous O/S.

Sorry, -1 vote.

ajua: Your use of the ellipsis in your first sentence was redundant. Also, there was no need for the apostrophe when referring to GUIs.

When you're going to pick on someone for spelling or grammar, make sure your own backyard is clean first. :)

Damn English trolls! :p

I didn't meant to pick on anyone at all. It just crossed my mind as it seems everyone who's native language is not English is writing THERE nowadays.

Thanks for the correction about GUIs but I think GUI's is accepted too.

Owen W    53
They could have let you add for example your own custom borders around windows (inserting your own bitmaps for backgrounds like in earlier Internet Explorers) without having to buy extra software.

Let me change the start menu icon easily- Or even include a program that would let me move the login screen around and insert my own custom image. (linux has had that for years)

I think there comes a point where it would just get too complex and ridiculous to support such a thing, and that Microsoft does their best to focus on performance and other features. Remember that Windows is primarily used by businesses, and that's who they're selling it to - and most businesses don't give a crap about UI.

M_Lyons10    454

I personally like the look of Windows 7. I liked Vista too. From reading through previous discussion on the issue it appears the majority of people do like the look of Windows 7. Not everyone will be happy with anything...