• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microsoft needs to get there crap together

hdood    145
Office uses a "custom" UI? Did I really read that correctly?

Are you really that incompetent that you don't even realize the lack of logic in your post? Both Windows and Office are Microsoft products. If Microsoft makes it, then it's a standard UI because it's their product and they get to dictate what is standard.

That is incorrect. The Windows and Office teams are two entire separate entities, despite being part of the same company. Office does not define anything in Windows. They are effectively a third-party software vendor and should adhere to the same rules that Microsoft expects others to. If they don't, then neither should anyone else be exepcted to. If you don't even understand this then there is little hope of any sort of constructive discussion.

Eice    13
That is incorrect. The Windows and Office teams are two entire separate entities, despite being part of the same company. Office does not define anything in Windows. They are effectively a third-party software vendor and should adhere to the same rules that Microsoft expects others to. If they don't, then neither should anyone else be exepcted to. If you don't even understand this then there is little hope of any sort of constructive discussion.

The very same company that manufactured the operating system itself is effectively a third-party vendor?

If all you know how to do is spew nonsense like this, there is indeed little hope of any sort of constructive discussion.

hdood    145
The very same company that manufactured the operating system itself is effectively a third-party vendor?

When it comes to other products than WINDOWS, yes. A NON-WINDOWS product made by Microsoft CANNOT set any rules about the Windows environment, because they are separate and unrelated products.

In fact, the courts have previously convicted Microsoft of working a little too closely with itself (in order to give Office more advantages over competitors), and the original sentence suggested by the United States even included breaking Microsoft up into two companies to make this separation abundantly clear.

Soldiers33    139

i actually rly like the glass look, I tried the osx theme on windows 7 and after a day of using it got so boring and plain, atleast with the glass you can see stuff through it which in a way chnages the look constantly.

zhangm    1,332

I quite like Aero Glass to the point that I haven't found a custom VS that I like more.

.tony    0

Aero Glass -> Mac OSX

The only default style I prefer more was Aero from the Longhorn-era.

Eice    13
When it comes to other products than WINDOWS, yes. A NON-WINDOWS product made by Microsoft CANNOT set any rules about the Windows environment, because they are separate and unrelated products.

And that's an utterly laughable and nonsensical claim. Last I checked, just because a nobody like yourself decides to bleat and moan on the Internet doesn't mean Microsoft has to bend to your whims about what it can or cannot do with its products. The Windows Ribbon Framework is officially documented on MSDN as a set of user interface APIs for Windows programs - quite impressive for a "custom" UI that some "third-party" vendor made up, if you ask me.

Dude, it's a Microsoft product, for crying out loud. It's sad enough that you failed to realize the utter lack of logic in your claims, but it gets worse - it wasn't just a slip, you really didn't understand things at all and actually needed someone to explain the obvious to you.

morphen    14

oh please:p

this thread needs to go in the crapper:p

Digitalx    17

I like aero. Just not so much the super bar considering that was being side developed for touch screen use then everyone jumped on it and it became default.

hdood    145
And that's an utterly laughable and nonsensical claim. Last I checked, just because a nobody like yourself decides to bleat and moan on the Internet doesn't mean Microsoft has to bend to your whims about what it can or cannot do with its products.

Actually, Microsoft pretty much does have to do what I'm describing, because there is a court order that requires them to do so.

That Windows and Office are separate and unrelated products and that Office cannot dictate anything in Windows is a simple fact, despite the fact that you want to be difficult.

The Windows Ribbon Framework is officially documented on MSDN as a set of user interface APIs for Windows programs - quite impressive for a "custom" UI that some "third-party" vendor made up, if you ask me.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Office does not use the Windows Ribbon, they use their own custom implementation that is different. Some of the changes--like the fancy gradient and new color scheme--are entirely superficial and intended solely to make Office look different and prettier than the competitors (the Windows Ribbon looks far more "boring"). Previous versions have deviated in a similar manner.

Are you trying to point out that the Ribbon concept originated with the Office team and that a clone of it was later written and made a standard Windows control (at which point it becomes an actual Windows standard, which it was NOT when it only existed in Office)? That's true, but not very relevant.

Consider this my last response to you (just a notice so you don't waste time writing a long response expecting a reply).

Billus    133

Frankly, I haven't gotten bored with the Windows GUI since Vista (ok, maybe a little but I've never tried skinning it and Windows 7 perfected Aero). I have and still use the KDE and GNOME interfaces for Linux but I do get bored of them and constantly try and find new skins and other fancy plugins for it plus some of the software looks way outdated compared to Windows programs. I'll be fair, Mac OSX GUI is well implemented in I think all of the programs I've used on it (don't own one myself or any other Apple product but my mate does). Tighter restrictions lead to a seamless experience but less creativity from 3rd parties. A perfect example of this is the iPhone and Windows Mobile platform.

The Aero interface is great and I find no need to use skins and/or Window Blinds with Windows. In my most humble opinion and no offense to the creative ones, skinning/re-decorating Windows is a long dead art form which died when Vista arrived. I do like skins of software applications though i.e. Firefox.

REM2000    145

I love the Windows 7 UI. Aero peek, snap to edges and the improved start menu make my producivity in windows shoot up. The OS is more refined and runs really well. I think Microsoft done really well with the UI for this release, I have installed it on a broad range of computers and they all perform really well.

Personally ive found that Win7 has been one of the best windows releases for laptops in history, windows on a laptop always felt really hacked on with spotty power support etc.. However Win7 really feels that it's been designed with laptops in mind. The sleep / resume / hibenation works very well and the battery life and performance is much better than under XP or Vista.

I use mainly mac's at home and windows at work, and they both work really well.

Eice    13
That Windows and Office are separate and unrelated products and that Office cannot dictate anything in Windows is a simple fact, despite the fact that you want to be difficult.

Wow. Office integrating the Ribbon UI means it's "dictating" things in Windows now? Has it really never even crossed your mind that perhaps the Office guys weren't shrouding their work in secrecy when they designed the UI? Do I really have to suggest to you the possibility that, instead of Office somehow "dictating" Windows, the Office UI was created with the consent and knowledge of the guys in charge of Windows UI?

It's really amazing, but you somehow manage to make less and less sense with each post. But I guess it isn't all that surprising, seeing how you're just basically grasping at straws.

Office does not use the Windows Ribbon, they use their own custom implementation that is different. Some of the changes--like the fancy gradient and new color scheme--are entirely superficial and intended solely to make Office look different and prettier than the competitors (the Windows Ribbon looks far more "boring"). Previous versions have deviated in a similar manner.

This has simply got to be the best one yet. Office is using a fancy gradient and new color scheme, and hence it's a custom UI?

Ha ha hahaha HA HA HA HA HA.

Are you trying to point out that the Ribbon concept originated with the Office team and that a clone of it was later written and made a standard Windows control (at which point it becomes an actual Windows standard, which it was NOT when it only existed in Office)? That's true, but not very relevant.

Why is it not relevant? Because it tears your whole argument - which happens to be built on nothing but suppositions and bull**** - to shreds?

CuCumber    0
This has simply got to be the best one yet. Office is using a fancy gradient and new color scheme, and hence it's a custom UI?

Ha ha hahaha HA HA HA HA HA.

If you have done laughing you might then want to dig up any other program that has similar custom UI as the new Office. Can't find one? One word: inconsistency.

OS X is miles ahead when it comes to concistency and overall quality.

testman    114
Windows 7 is great, I love it. No problems even in Beta but seriously they need a decent looking GUI and there is so many good people who make themes, like Capricorn and some other dude i dont know but like seriously microsoft needs a good GUI, glass is nice but its just overpowering in my opinion, even i could come up with someone so cliche, not to mention its been around FOREVER the glass idea is terrible. Many people who even get a "Mac" like the way it looks which entices people to buy it cause it looks great.. I know looks are not everything but really though it is, it's what sells. I see so many people with Mac's that just sit there and do nothing with it except type and browse. If they made a better looking OS, i can guarantee sales would go up even more. people don't go PC because it's never even rivaled Mac OS x's design.

Thank you for reading my drunken non sense.

Definitely "non sense" post. Windows 7 sales are even better than Vista, which was better than XP, etc. So you're talking utter rubbish.

BTW, it's "their", not "there" (see title).

Kirkburn    172
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Office does not use the Windows Ribbon, they use their own custom implementation that is different. Some of the changes--like the fancy gradient and new color scheme--are entirely superficial and intended solely to make Office look different and prettier than the competitors (the Windows Ribbon looks far more "boring"). Previous versions have deviated in a similar manner.

Even if it were "entirely superficial", which you have no evidence to support other than your own opinion, why do you get to dictate how Office 2010 looks?

Why, in your eyes, is it a terrible thing for the developers to want it to look better than it would otherwise do with the Win7 implementation? Are you suggesting only the Windows team gets to dictate UI for the Office team, that the Office team can make no UI decisions of their own for the sake of improving their product?

In this fantasy land Office would still be stuck on the 2003 toolbars. Hell, no, it would look like a massively overcomplex version of Wordpad.

neo158    281

What about the consistency between the UI within Office itself, the Ribbon in Word 2007 and Menus and Toolbars in Outlook 2007.

zagor    28
If you have done laughing you might then want to dig up any other program that has similar custom UI as the new Office. Can't find one? One word: inconsistency.

OS X is miles ahead when it comes to concistency and overall quality.

OS X is consistent...I give you that...on the other hand, that really doesn't translate in to quality.

Simplicity not equal to quality...

hdood    145
Even if it were "entirely superficial", which you have no evidence to support other than your own opinion, why do you get to dictate how Office 2010 looks?

I'm pretty sure some gradients and a different color scheme is entirely superficial and not an actual improvement of functionality. It's just deviating for the sake of looking "nicer."

Why, in your eyes, is it a terrible thing for the developers to want it to look better than it would otherwise do with the Win7 implementation? Are you suggesting only the Windows team gets to dictate UI for the Office team, that the Office team can make no UI decisions of their own for the sake of improving their product?

In this fantasy land Office would still be stuck on the 2003 toolbars. Hell, no, it would look like a massively overcomplex version of Wordpad.

I haven't said that it's necessarily a terrible thing, I've only pointed out that if it is okay for Microsoft to do so with their non-Windows products, then it also has to be okay for everyone else to do it as well in whatever way they feel makes a better interface (such as Google Chrome for instance.)

Your post raises an interesting point though, and that is how Microsoft has neglected its native GUI framework (partly because of their failed .NET strategy) to the point where it is so dated both in appearance and use that developers have no choice but come up with their own alternatives. You should be able to create awesome guideline-conforming interfaces with just what the OS provides. Rather than Office (or whoever) constantly making new private custom controls, Microsoft should focus on adding new functionality to the OS itself so it becomes available to everyone.

C_Guy    8

Microsoft needs to get there crap together, GUI wise

Why bother reading the post when the OP can't get their grammar together?

A typical Windows app with ugly blue toolbars and filled with unneeded borders everywhere.

A typical OS X app, just beautiful.

You might want to compare icons and shadows too.

That would be hilarious if you weren't serious. Take a good look at the screenshots again and then ask yourself how you could think the OS X version looks better than the Windows version. Really look.

No need to blur the illegal download. They can't track you down by filename alone.

Eric    1,604
A typical Windows app with ugly blue toolbars and filled with unneeded borders everywhere.

A typical OS X app, just beautiful.

You might want to compare icons and shadows too.

I'm not sure how that refutes your quoted post... Anyway, they look the same to me, other than that loud metallic gray that makes me look at the windows background more than the app's interface.

MikeChipshop    3,458

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Microsoft design its operating systems look not just for somebody but for everybody. It's a fine line between what some people think is beautiful and what others find impossible to work with.

They go out and do huge surveys and panel work with users of all types so they can design a UI that works for as many people as is possible.

Many a time i've applied a new skin, thought it was amazing and then at the end of the day gone back to default because it was less distracting or easier to use in the long run.

I personally i think both Windows and OSX have found (different) attractive ways to present their operating systems GUI to the broadest possible user base and for that i salute them.

Themes are once again becoming a viable way to go, with many themes and applicable patching programmes being easier to use than Office (for example).

tablet_user    41
Oh please, give me a break. It looks the same.

No doubt there are programs that will automate the patching process, but that doesn't change the fact that it's completely unsupported and that Windows is designed specifically to not support any user customization.

then use OSX they have tons of themes and alterations you can download :whistle:

hdood    145
then use OSX they have tons of themes and alterations you can download :whistle:

I think OS X looks ugly (despite the fact that it's stylistically clean), and using it tends to make me angry for some reason.