• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microsoft needs to get there crap together

Subject Delta    108
I just hate hypocrites that cannot look at things in a fairly even, unbiased way. What I pointed out in the Windows Fax image, I can find 100 of them in my Linux install (because I like KDE and Gnome apps, which use different engines). I think we are both in strong agreement that this thread has run its course - and then some!

Threads like this are really just an excuse for CuCumber and such like minded people to come out and troll their mindless and boring crap, and it gets old pretty fast really. There are bits about all 3 of the OSes that I like and Dislike, but when you are talking about something as personally driven as taste and style, there really is no right answer.

zagor    28
Threads like this are really just an excuse for CuCumber and such like minded people to come out and troll their mindless and boring crap, and it gets old pretty fast really. There are bits about all 3 of the OSes that I like and Dislike, but when you are talking about something as personally driven as taste and style, there really is no right answer.

+1

Growled    3,880
Again every system will have things that people like and dislike, it's a matter of personal opinion.

Amen. There is no ultimate right and wrong but only right and wrong for you. You can always tell a fanboy because they think their opinion is fact, and the only right fact at that.

CuCumber    0
You don't get it do you? what you call issues are not issues to some/most of us.

I don't get it? Look at this. Notice how they have a voting system. +531/-29 votes. Most people seem to agree that the control panel is crap. Then this. +326/-6 votes. It seems that the people who think they are not issues are in minority. Debunk that with some clever logic or agree.

Threads like this are really just an excuse for CuCumber and such like minded people to come out and troll their mindless and boring crap

You are free to explain why linking to existing Windows problems is trolling but somehow you choose not to do that. Same applies to Zagor who has still not given the proof I asked. It's so easy, just copy&paste. :cool:

You can always tell a fanboy because they think their opinion is fact, and the only right fact at that.

That's why I try to backup my opinions with valid links unlike...

rednekcowboy    0
So if my file manager freezes because Windows is trying to read a disk, that's not an issue or there's nothing technical about it? Wow, why don't you read the discussion about it on Win7 Taskforce.

I've still not heard the reasons why some people defend Microsoft over Windows issues, now what is it?

When it's reading from bad media is what the link you posted was about, which I would dare to say would happen on any system. I'd like to see an OSX or Linux system read from a damaged CD or hard disk.

You also didn't say anthing else in regards to any of my other remarks, but only singled out one which you thought you could make a point on which failed miserable.

zagor    28
I don't get it? Look at this. Notice how they have a voting system. +531/-29 votes. Most people seem to agree that the control panel is crap. Then this. +326/-6 votes. It seems that the people who think they are not issues are in minority. Debunk that with some clever logic or agree.

You are free to explain why linking to existing Windows problems is trolling but somehow you choose not to do that. Same applies to Zagor who has still not given the proof I asked. It's so easy, just copy&paste. :cool:

That's why I try to backup my opinions with valid links unlike...

Yeah, you really don't get it...You are bending what they are agreeing to your liking. The only thing that they agree is that "it can be improved". There is a big difference between saying something is "crap" and on the other hand saying something can be improved.

Raa    1,530

So you're trying to say 560 and 332 people (respectively) represent everyone that uses Windows now?

C'mon, you know that 98% of statistics are wrong. Added to the fact that there's no way to gauge what type of person is voting. Without an accurate survey with a represented demographic, those numbers aren't going to persuade the people arguing against you. (I'm neutral, btw.)

I personally don't mind the control panel, but I don't use it a lot either.

CuCumber    0
Yeah, you really don't get it...You are bending what they are agreeing to your liking. The only thing that they agree is that "it can be improved". There is a big difference between saying something is "crap" and on the other hand saying something can be improved.

No, it's you who is trying to alter the reality. Now who talked about "most of us". :angry: Look at the comments there:

Indeed, all these different settings spread everywhere are a mess. It should be centralized.

Since Windows XP the Control Panel has been a mess, and it seems it's much much worse in Vista and 7.

Right now it's an utter mess.

I like how Mac and KDE handle it.

@Microsoft: Talk to this guy and have a look at his ideas because now all configuring is a mess split up over too much dialogs, different UI's,...

*sigh* Who demoted this? Who likes having settings all over the place?

I'm guessing they did it because they saw .Chris's comment and decided: "You know what? That really ****ES ME OFF! I'm gonna be the one ******* who demotes this!"

Will you give me a permisson to call it "a mess" instead of crap? :rolleyes:

So you're trying to say 560 and 332 people (respectively) represent everyone that uses Windows now?
Of course not. It's just not possible to ask everyone's opinion.
Without an accurate survey with a represented demographic, those numbers aren't going to persuade the people arguing against you. (I'm neutral, btw.)

Let's see if you can find more accurate study of the subject than the one I gave to you. Pretty please?

Athernar    611

What a load of rubbish.

If you think 7's control panel is crap then you've obviously either never used the OS or you need to learn to use the search function.

The search inputbox even has focus when you open the control panel, so you can just open and type. Flashy and fanciful layouts are irrelevant when you can just search for the functionality you need.

Heck, you could even forget launching the control panel and just use the startmenu.

Personally I don't spend my free time staring at the control panel either, so what does a flashy layout matter if the optimal access method renders it irrelevant?

zagor    28
What a load of rubbish.

If you think 7's control panel is crap then you've obviously either never used the OS or you need to learn to use the search function.

The search inputbox even has focus when you open the control panel, so you can just open and type. Flashy and fanciful layouts are irrelevant when you can just search for the functionality you need.

Heck, you could even forget launching the control panel and just use the startmenu.

Personally I don't spend my free time staring at the control panel either, so what does a flashy layout matter if the optimal access method renders it irrelevant?

+1

Solid Knight    500

Why does Microsoft need to "get their act together" if all you can whine about is their theme?

Kyang    112

I really like how much of Windows 7 looks, feels, and is laid out, and I think various bits of the UI have improved considerably since Vista, but while there are some things that slipped through in ways that I'm not entirely certain of, I feel like if I comment on them, my post is going to be attacked by those who either thing my little criticism is either irrelevant, useless, or even stupid. What's so wrong with wanting ever improving fit and finish on a product I'm paying for? I definitely would prefer to have some real improvements in functionality as opposed to mere improvements in aesthetics, but DAMN, it's like some posts here are out to make me feel absolutely pathetic for even considering that Microsoft could make something look better than it is now. (One example that's popped up late in this thread would be the Windows fax and scan thing. Merely changing the toolbar color to the light blue Windows 7 uses now would have been fine by me. XD .)

rednekcowboy    0
I really like how much of Windows 7 looks, feels, and is laid out, and I think various bits of the UI have improved considerably since Vista, but while there are some things that slipped through in ways that I'm not entirely certain of, I feel like if I comment on them, my post is going to be attacked by those who either thing my little criticism is either irrelevant, useless, or even stupid. What's so wrong with wanting ever improving fit and finish on a product I'm paying for? I definitely would prefer to have some real improvements in functionality as opposed to mere improvements in aesthetics, but DAMN, it's like some posts here are out to make me feel absolutely pathetic for even considering that Microsoft could make something look better than it is now. (One example that's popped up late in this thread would be the Windows fax and scan thing. Merely changing the toolbar color to the light blue Windows 7 uses now would have been fine by me. XD .)

Yes but improving the quality of the UI and calling it crap are two totally different things and I think that's what most are objecting to.

There is a difference between having to make a few **minor** graphical tweaks and calling an OS technically unsound (which is what you are doing by saying MS has to get it's crap together). I can guarantee you that every OS could use some sort of graphical changes and calling out Microsoft for it is like the pot calling the kettle black imo.

Just my 2 cents.

zagor    28

That is exactly the point most of us trying to make (and some of you guys can not grasp). There are a lot of things that most of us want improved. But, that doesn't mean those aspects of W7 are crap.

OS X has a lot of things that can use some improvement. But, unlike some OS X worshipers, we are not going as far as calling OS X crap.

PurePhoenix    0
What a load of rubbish.

Right click task-bar, properties.

Click start menu tab, then customize

Switch control panel to "Display as menu".

Enjoy classic Control Panel options.

post-315482-1259549522_thumb.png

Denis W.    730

Alright, that's enough. This thread has gone into petty bickering now.

Thread Closed