'Upgrade' to PS3 Slim

Just wondering if many people have traded in their 'Fat' PS3s for Slims. I've got the 40GB PS3 and am thinking about getting the Slim but wouldn't need both so I'd sell it to recover most of my money - considering that the Slims come with at least one game I'd only be about ?60 out of pocket and that would be made back by the power savings eventually. My 40GB runs quiet, haven't had any problems with it and I already have a spare 120GB HDD should I need extra space so it's not really a necessary purchase but it's always nice having the latest things. The look of the Slim has also grown on me alot since I first saw the leaked pictures, so much so that I actually prefer it now.

So my question really is, for those that have got the slim are they happy with it or do they regret getting rid of their 'Fat' PS3s?

Also, is it likely that Sony will be adding an optional install feature soon like the 360 has? I can't see the point of having a 120GB or 250GB hard drive otherwise as most games either run off the disc or only install a GB or 2 to the hard disc. I guess some people use them as media centers but surely most people just stream from their PCs?

TBH I don't see the point. Unless you're incredibly desperate then sure, but it's not necessary...Plus, you never know, there might be something wrong with the Slim that we don't know about yet.

I've just upgraded to a Slim. Well my Slims bought and is in America right now, will have it in 2 weeks :p My fat PS3 is going to the parents for Blu Ray/Streaming, but I'm sure my dad will play a game or two when I'm not around.

I wanted the Bravia Sync, and the ability to bitstream HD audio instead of internally decode might be useful for the future. As it stands my receiver only accepts HD audio over PCM, which means I need the PS3 to decode anyway.

That's a good HD review of the Slim, I actually prefer the looks of it to the FAT quite a bit now.

That's a good HD review of the Slim, I actually prefer the looks of it to the FAT quite a bit now.

Holy crap his voice is so annoying hahaha

Other then that it was a good review actually.

Also, is it likely that Sony will be adding an optional install feature soon like the 360 has? I can't see the point of having a 120GB or 250GB hard drive otherwise as most games either run off the disc or only install a GB or 2 to the hard disc. I guess some people use them as media centers but surely most people just stream from their PCs?

Unlikely that you'll see full PS3 game installs, being that quite a few first-party games use a full Blu-ray disc (25GB, 50 in the case of MGS4, possibly the same in the case of FFXIII).

I think that the larger HDD is being prepped for future possible PS2 b/c brought back with games on the PSN Store, as well as future full titles downloadble (ala Warhawk, Burnout Paradise, etc.). They're also trying to pimp the video store, and a music store wouldn't suprise me either.

Finally, they have to keep up with space on the 360 as a selling point.

Unlikely that you'll see full PS3 game installs, being that quite a few first-party games use a full Blu-ray disc (25GB, 50 in the case of MGS4, possibly the same in the case of FFXIII).

50GB?! That's insane!!! I thought a lot of the files were padding or repeated textures and stuff to make the loading from disc quicker.

I've looked at quite a lot of info and still can't decide. Part of me thinks that I won't really be gaining anything, but the other part thinks that it's not going to cost much overall to switch - in fact the price of the Slims is unlikely to drop for a while but the amount I can get for my 40GB Fat probably will drop sharply meaning it will cost me more overall, I'll have a full warranty with the slim (my 40GB is out of warranty) and the fact that the on screen logo is different to the one on the Fat PS3 is really bugging me lol. I can't really think of anything else to have from the wife for Christmas either.

50GB?! That's insane!!! I thought a lot of the files were padding or repeated textures and stuff to make the loading from disc quicker.

I've looked at quite a lot of info and still can't decide. Part of me thinks that I won't really be gaining anything, but the other part thinks that it's not going to cost much overall to switch - in fact the price of the Slims is unlikely to drop for a while but the amount I can get for my 40GB Fat probably will drop sharply meaning it will cost me more overall, I'll have a full warranty with the slim (my 40GB is out of warranty) and the fact that the on screen logo is different to the one on the Fat PS3 is really bugging me lol. I can't really think of anything else to have from the wife for Christmas either.

Quite a few of the games do use padding, you're right, but they're still fairly large in size due to the audio options you usually get on PS3 games. I don't just mean HD audio, if you've ever bought Sony 1st party stuff you'll see they usually do full voice over translations for half of Europe, not just subtitles, that's one thing they never really get praise for, obviously easily to look over as all we care about is English :p Heavy Rain for example is coming voiced in 13 languages, obviously all won't be on the one disc, but the UK disc will probably include 3/4 of the most popular EU languages around here.

I dunno the ins and outs of how MS do the 360 copying, but I assume it has to be a 1:1 copy of the disc for security reasons, if the same were the case for PS3 games, mostly 1st party, you'd be waiting ages to install then losing a lot of hard drive space. Unfortunately just not a feature I think you'll see come to PS3. Some devs give you the ability for optional installs, I think that's the best you'll see, games installing the critical content to the hard drive.

When you look at something like Uncharted 2 that has one loading screen then everything else streams, couple that with the drive not being that noisy, there isn't really that much need for installs.

As for you upgrading, sounds purely cosmetical, there isn't many reasons to change if you don't want Bravia Sync/HD bitstreaming. However I guess it will run cooler, use less power and potentially be quieter. For some those things mean nothing, I guess other people care more.

I'm stll finding it had to justify the cost of a slim over my fat Given my lack of funds right now I can't see it happening any time soon.