Linux Mint 8

Pikey

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Introduction to Linux Mint 8:

The 8th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. In particular Linux Mint 8 comes with support for OEM installs, a brand new Upload Manager, the menu now allows you to configure custom places, the update manager now lets you define packages for which you don?t want to receive updates,the software manager now features multiple installation/removal of software and many of the tools? graphical interfaces were enhanced.

Web-pages seem a bit slow at the moment though!

cork1958

Anyone use this thing, seeing as how it's nothing but a derivative of Ubuntu?

markjensen
Anyone use this thing, seeing as how it's nothing but a derivative of Ubuntu?

:laugh:

Five years ago, Ubuntu was criticized as being "nothing but a derivative of Debian".

Kreuger

I think it's a very well polished derivative but I've not used it extensively.

Hawk999

Is use v. 7 on my laptop and its really great. Very smooth. I am considering exchanging Ubuntu 9.10 for Linux Mint 8 on my main system.

Kreuger
Is use v. 7 on my laptop and its really great. Very smooth. I am considering exchanging Ubuntu 9.10 for Linux Mint 8 on my main system.
I've thought about it too (as well as other distros) but I just can't be bothered reconfiguring everything the way I like it.
Growled

I've get it downloaded but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Pikey

Installed and dual-booting with Win 7 .. working very well .. better than Ubuntu in my book!

Growled

I am going to install this. I love it. It is now my new all time favorite.

Behemoth

I haven't tried 8 just yet, but I was impressed with 6 & 7. Very user friendly distro, even more than Ubuntu.

ichi
I've thought about it too (as well as other distros) but I just can't be bothered reconfiguring everything the way I like it.

If you keep your /home most of it should stay.

Syanide

Another review (check it out, lots of screenshots) gave it a (Y). That's it, when I sort the stuff out with my computer I'm giving it a try.

Kreuger
If you keep your /home most of it should stay.
I know but it's still more work than just keeping what I have :p
medium_pimpin

Waiting for the x64 edition.

Kreuger
Waiting for the x64 edition.
Yeah it would seem the community editions (obviously) take a little longer to release. I have the main one but I'd prefer the XFCE one. Maybe I'll just install XFCE.
Kreuger
I have the main one but I'd prefer the XFCE one. Maybe I'll just install XFCE.
Damn, I can't edit. I made the switch though. Here's a screenie if anyone is interested.

Minty_Fresh_by_Kreuger.png

wahoospa

I've heard so much about Linux Mint that I'm going to download it and give it a try.

Syanide
is this good for noobies ?

Yes.

But before trying it, you should re-evaluate what you're expecting, no Linux distro is going to magically read your mind to make things that easy for you. Just so you don't hype yourself too much and end up being disappointed. Reading a few pages on Wikipedia and some Linux beginners blogs is always a good idea, to at least get the basic hang of it.

Having said that, Mint really is polished and friendly, and I'm sure if you're curious enough to give it a shot, you'll enjoy it.

Growled
is this good for noobies ?

That's mainly what it's designed for, though even power users can use it with no problems. The thing I like is everyone just works out and you have all your codecs installed. In most distros newcomers have to learn to do that for themselves to even play a simple MP3 or to watch a movie.

I've been using Linux for over 4 years and I'm very taken with Mint.

SVG
That's mainly what it's designed for, though even power users can use it with no problems. The thing I like is everyone just works out and you have all your codecs installed. In most distros newcomers have to learn to do that for themselves to even play a simple MP3 or to watch a movie.

I don't think the new release comes bundled with proprietary packages.. Can anyone confirm this?

MR_Candyman

Ya, I gotta agree, I've been using linux for ~13 years and I really like Mint. It's very reminiscent of the old now defunct Jamd Linux.

(Spork)
Yes.

But before trying it, you should re-evaluate what you're expecting, no Linux distro is going to magically read your mind to make things that easy for you. Just so you don't hype yourself too much and end up being disappointed. Reading a few pages on Wikipedia and some Linux beginners blogs is always a good idea, to at least get the basic hang of it.

Having said that, Mint really is polished and friendly, and I'm sure if you're curious enough to give it a shot, you'll enjoy it.

im going to try it thx for the heads up and im fully expecting a learning curve

id like to install this from a usbdrive is it recommended ? im running low on cd's

Edited by (Spork)