Linux Mint 8

Syanide
I don't think the new release comes bundled with proprietary packages.. Can anyone confirm this?

Not 100% sure, but the previous releases used to come in a regular edition, and an universal edition which is free of the possible legal problems (in the US, due to bundling codecs).

Pikey

You certainly can install from a USB stick .. that's what I do.

Try this .. run 'Unetbootin-Windows' to download and write the Linux Mint 'CD' to your USB stick.

more here .. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ..

Personally I'd run the live 'CD' (or USB!) for a while to get used to what's happening. If you decide to keep it , you'll have to make some decisions about partitioning your hard-drive , dual-booting .. this sort of thing.

(Spork)
You certainly can install from a USB stick .. that's what I do.

Try this .. run 'Unetbootin-Windows' to download and write the Linux Mint 'CD' to your USB stick.

more here .. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ..

Personally I'd run the live 'CD' (or USB!) for a while to get used to what's happening. If you decide to keep it , you'll have to make some decisions about partitioning your hard-drive , dual-booting .. this sort of thing.

yea im running it from my 8 gig usb atm its nice to beable to do that with out messing with my MBR

any way to save my updated stuff to my usb drive so i dont have to do it every time i boot to the drive

Edited by (Spork)
Growled
I don't think the new release comes bundled with proprietary packages.. Can anyone confirm this?

What packages do you refer to? I've never ran Mint before so I am not up to speed on what 7 included. I do know it comes with java and flash installed, as well as all the multimedia codecs you need, including libdvdcss for movie playback.

protocol7

How would this run on old hardware? I linuxed a friend's old PC with Mandriva 2008 earlier in the year and it has a tendency to freeze up quite often when he's surfing (Firefox). It's a 1.something Ghz AthlonXP with 192MB RAM IIRC. I'm thinking it might have been a bit too heavy of a distro for the hardware.

Growled

It's not going to run well.

A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1155

He should try Crunchbang Linux, also based on Ubuntu. It's made to be lightweight and fast.

protocol7

Thanls for the tip. Whenever I get the PC off him I'll put it on and see how it goes. It's mostly just for browsing and youtube.

wahoospa

I download it earlier and installed to my hard drive and everything is running smooth. Easy install, all one needs to know is how to burn a iso image to a cd and the rest is easy as pie.

• 2 weeks later...
Kreuger
Some (but not all -- hence, I'm posting it here, not in BPN) might find this interesting: Linux Mint Fluxbox Community Edition is coming back.
That's good news for anyone who likes it (maybe MarkJensen will give this a try?). I've moved from Flux though to XFCE. It would be nice if they updated the other CE on the site.
markjensen

I have much :wub: for flux :)

• 2 months later...
Syanide

KDE x64 and Fluxbox versions are out.

www.linuxmint.com

bjoswald

I loved Mint when "Gloria" came out, but I went back to the original Ubuntu just before "Helena" came out. I just don't think I need Mint when I can achieve the same things with Ubuntu, nor do I need the "mint*" tools it provides. Glad to see Clem's listening to his users and whipping up alternative WM releases, though.

Growled

I just don't think I need Mint when I can achieve the same things with Ubuntu, nor do I need the "mint*" tools it provides.

You can get close but you can't get the exact same effect. Mint update allows you to easily control the update process. There is nothing like that in Ubuntu. Also, Mint packages are easier to deal with than having to add a PPA. Mint is Ubuntu made easier.

bjoswald

You can get close but you can't get the exact same effect. Mint update allows you to easily control the update process. There is nothing like that in Ubuntu. Also, Mint packages are easier to deal with than having to add a PPA. Mint is Ubuntu made easier.

I'm not worried about the updates for Ubuntu since I only keep the default repositories enabled and set them to update automatically. Absolutely nothing to worry about there. Also, Ubuntu Tweak makes it easy to add third-party repositories.

Motoko.

Any word on the flux version of mint?

I want to get that in 64bit.

Growled

I'm not worried about the updates for Ubuntu since I only keep the default repositories enabled and set them to update automatically. Absolutely nothing to worry about there. Also, Ubuntu Tweak makes it easy to add third-party repositories.

I don't care for the way Ubuntu updates. A couple of version ago (which I admit is the last time I ran straight Ubuntu) they would send half-baked updates down the line that broke something, like kernel updates. With Mint updates I don't have to deal with any update that will potentially make my system become unstable. I think with 10.04 I will give Ubuntu another try, though, and see how things are progressing.

bjoswald

I don't care for the way Ubuntu updates. A couple of version ago (which I admit is the last time I ran straight Ubuntu) they would send half-baked updates down the line that broke something, like kernel updates. With Mint updates I don't have to deal with any update that will potentially make my system become unstable. I think with 10.04 I will give Ubuntu another try, though, and see how things are progressing.

I'm pretty excited about Lucid too. Karmic was a good release, but nothing groundbreaking.

SMELTN

So which would be the best version to throw on a laptop and try out?

Phenom II

Links have been posted incorrectly, you can get them from www.linuxmint.com

Growled

So which would be the best version to throw on a laptop and try out?

All of them. What desktop do you like the best?

SMELTN

All of them. What desktop do you like the best?

I want something that is most like Windows. This laptop is mainly used by my wife and 11 yr old daughter and I want something that would be easy for them to use for everyday browsing and such, but cool for me to get into Linux and start playing with the inter workings.

I downloaded the netbook remix of Ubuntu and tried to install it on my HP laptop, but I keep getting error loops and such and it won't install. I tried burning it to a cd and installing and then using a usb install method, but both game me the same problems.