Abit KT7A/RAID Duron 900/950

I was wondering if anyone has a Abit KT7A (possible RAID) system running a Duron 900/950 CPU. If so could anyone tell me if they have overclocked and if so how much extra have they been able to achive?

Any feeback/suggestions or other system configurations that ppl would like to mention would be appreciated

Cheers

Dave

although i haven't touched durons, and dunno how good they are when overclocking(i'm not a overclocker nerd myself) but since you asked, i have had several friends who have that combination(KT7A RAID), and are not very happy with their results, they get to somewhere about 1ghz

but i know a guy getting it quite abit higher, i can't recall how much exactly, but his results were quite satisfactory i guess..

these guys used normal fast coolers, no special waters coolers or anything...(a risky setup of peltiers might get u decent results),

infact the guy who had acheived good results had no proper thermal compound, so he went for vaseline! LOL! :D

i have a KT7A with a Duron 900 now and as far as my results go i get 200 Mhz more (1.1 if u cant add :D) i have previously had a 750 and a 700 and both of these have gone 200 Mhz more althougth i have had upto 233 but this hasnt been as stable.

They are easy to overclock just use a graphite pencil to draw over the L2 (dont quote me on that cant remember exactly) bridges. Then play about with ur bios! if the clock speed doesnt show as you set it in the bios then you didnt draw over the bridges properly so do it again and again and again.

Im dont personally play about overclocking but i saw it as a cheap way to get a gig!! :cool:

AL

oh yeah i got a cheap fan recommended for athlons up to 1.3 and cheap heat sink compound! i did actually try arctic silver but that heated it up 5 degs! and dont get the latest bios!! even tho thats nothin to do with the thread! just a warning! i didnt appreciate the 9 degree increase on cpu temp.

Thanks a lot for that. Just the kinda responses I wanted :) I've seen all the online guides etc, but those are by people who know how to do it and who are given parts to test.

Its the average user like you and me who I wanted to hear from to see whats really going on :)

Thanks again

Shalayer, i don't think it's the L2 bridges, it's the L1 bridges where you have to use a graphite pencil to shade. (not quoting you :))

And that is done just for unlocking the bridges (not sure on this one myself :rolleyes: ) so you are able to overclock

:D

Originally posted by Shalayer

oh yeah i got a cheap fan recommended for athlons up to 1.3 and cheap heat sink compound! i did actually try arctic silver but that heated it up 5 degs! and dont get the latest bios!! even tho thats nothin to do with the thread! just a warning! i didnt appreciate the 9 degree increase on cpu temp.

Sounds like someone mighta made a bit of a mistake in the latest bios version. 9 deg is a bit much :(

Yeah your lucky. I got 1 sub standard system :(

I'm dying to get my new system.

As for the core of the AMD's. Yup every post I see about them say they are 'extremely fragile' .. Shoulda used a shim I guess..

I recommend any new overclockers(i am one myself :p) or even experts, if possible to get a shim.

You'll be glad you got it, since AMD's cpus are know to be easly crushable. one of my friends has already broke 2 of his AMDs!

Also try not to get HSFs with hard springs, they'll most probably be the cause for your cpu to crush. THere was one at tom's hardware coolers review, where they hesitated to fix in the HSF properly, since they spring was so hard!

Those latches u have on all HSFs(in the heatsinks to be precise)..which connect to the CPU socket.

What they do is attach themselves atop the CPU tightly so heat is transferred well between them(ofcourse through the thermal compound).

:)

• 19 years later...