Linux Mint 8

markjensen

I downloaded the netbook remix of Ubuntu and tried to install it on my HP laptop, but I keep getting error loops and such and it won't install. I tried burning it to a cd and installing and then using a usb install method, but both game me the same problems.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Is your laptop (I'm guessing it is not at netbook ;)) listed on that above page showing supported/tested hardware? I suppose not, if your laptop is a laptop and not a netbook.

It could work. But being not tested, who knows...

For a laptop, try the above links. My kids prefer XFCE for an interface. You might want to try your family out on that, or Gnome, or KDE to see what they prefer.

Ridlas

It looks like a windows 7 mock up

tablet_user

I'll stick to gentoo but i might put something like this on my friends moms pc.

medium_pimpin

Just downloaded and installed the x64 version. Seems very sharp so far. Might leave this dual boot in place with Win7.

keysteele

I don't know what I did wrong. i downloaded lunix mint burned it to a DVD and now its not being recognized as a software DVD. I is just giving me the option to see the files and there is no exe. file(opening up in win 7). And its asking me when Autoplay opens if I want to do always do this with a Pics DVD!

Growled

I want something that is most like Windows. This laptop is mainly used by my wife and 11 yr old daughter and I want something that would be easy for them to use for everyday browsing and such, but cool for me to get into Linux and start playing with the inter workings.

The main edition with Gnome is really easy to use. I really like it a lot. KDE is sometimes referred to as more Windows like but it's can have too many choices for my tastes.

jswalker2

I don't know what I did wrong. i downloaded lunix mint burned it to a DVD and now its not being recognized as a software DVD. I is just giving me the option to see the files and there is no exe. file(opening up in win 7). And its asking me when Autoplay opens if I want to do always do this with a Pics DVD!

How did you burn it?

medium_pimpin

You need to boot from the disc.

Sulphy

interesting.... downloading now to test drive :)

keysteele

How did you burn it?

I used Power ISO

You need to boot from the disc.

So this isn't live DVD where your able to just run it from the DVD?

Phenom II

Live DVD has to be booted from the disk too

So long as you burned the ISO as an image it will boot and ask you live or install

SMELTN

I did the same thing. I mine did the same, but when I rebooted my system and select boot from CD it worked fine, and I just finished the install. I haven't even touched the system yet, just finished installing now.

I tried to do the same thing with Ubuntu and UNR but both would not work, I kept getting a loop error. Mint worked fine though

keysteele

Ok I got it, I booted from the DVD. Ok now a question about maybe dual booting with Win7, I see theres no installer like Ubuntu so I have to do the partioning myself?

SkyDX

I there anything like WUBI for Mint?

keysteele

I there anything like WUBI for Mint?

Thats what I want to know too!

Syanide

Known issues

Because of compatibility issues between wubi/mint4win and grub2, Linux Mint 8 comes without a Windows installer. The development team is working on the issue and new ISOs will be published when it is resolved.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena.php

SMELTN

Ok I got it, I booted from the DVD. Ok now a question about maybe dual booting with Win7, I see theres no installer like Ubuntu so I have to do the partioning myself?

I just installed it on my laptop today, which was running Windows 7. It came up and asked me do I want to dual boot during the install, I told it yes, and it created and installed it on a seperate partition. My machine dual boots just fine with both now, and the actual OS selection screen looks nice.

keysteele

I just installed it on my laptop today, which was running Windows 7. It came up and asked me do I want to dual boot during the install, I told it yes, and it created and installed it on a seperate partition. My machine dual boots just fine with both now, and the actual OS selection screen looks nice.

Dude nice!! Thanks for the info!!!! Going to do it tonite.

• 3 weeks later...
Syanide

A heads up, Mint 8 LXDE and Xfce Editions out, both currently in RC stage. www.linuxmint.com

• 4 weeks later...
Apoc XP

I've heard nothing but great things about Linux Mint but have never used it. Looks like a good time to try it out!

Growled

I've heard nothing but great things about Linux Mint but have never used it. Looks like a good time to try it out!

You should. I've been extremely impressed with it.

Syanide

My recommendations as well. It's takes the best of Ubuntu and adds some really good things, and removes the things the community hasn't been responding to so well.

Also, here's some info on planned Mint 9 features btw: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1335

Panacik

Just tried it for 5 minutes and seems a little more zippy than Ubuntu.

Going to have a further play round with it tonight.

Panacik

Ok, strangly, i installed Mint on my Ubuntu machine. I thought because of the age of the machine, i was getting jerking video etc, but it turns out that Mint sorted all those problems for me AND all my hardware worked without any messing with scripts etc!

I am converted :D