Linux user seeks Vista help - slow system

grrrrrr... reposting becuase IE died suddenly on me while attaching a screenshot. Let me retry this (although I must point out that this is being horribly slow even under my "dad" admin count that I haven't used since setting this computer up for him 2 1/2 years ago)

Some things I have seen to speed up a slow Vista-

Turn off the Side Bar-(gadgets)

Tone down visual effects or turn off Aero if enabled (on some of the slower end systems or those with less memory)

On that same note- you may also look into updated video drivers -

No sidebar/gadgets. No Aero (this is Home Basic). However, a good idea on the video (Y)

Vista's Problem Reports and Solutions had many video errors listed:

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)

WD-20091009-2047.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files

Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: C2F41008

BCP2: 88BE0E90

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6000

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

Server information: 4e389e8d-598e-4ba1-a0bc-ee22b393ce16

However, while the top of the window said "Solution Available", it had this to say:

post-36818-1260052420_thumb.png

I'm off to try CCleaner now (just downloaded it seconds ago).

As for the video driver, I went to Control Panel > Device Manager > Update Device Drivers. In the tree browser, I went to Display Adapters and had it "search automatically" for updated drivers for the Intel 82945G chipset this powerhouse of a PC has. It said "Installing driver software" above the scanning progress bar for several minutes. Then suddenly the screen went blank. Then suddenly it was at 640x480. Black for 60 seconds or more. Then normal resolution. Black for another minute. Now it is back to full. Don't know for how long... Also, the mouse cursor is currently invisible. I will TAB over to "add reply" and post this update on where the PC is now.

Tried the defrag of the drive? I may have posted before- The default is set to Wed at like 1am or something like that. Sometimes depending on the user it may or may not have ever ran.

Also - Something to check- Go into the bios and just look around- I ran into an issue where some settings there were set to Normal instead of Performance. (some Dell's for example have acoustic silence of hard drives or similar) The setting for the drive was set to quiet instead of performance. This speed of that computer was significantly improved by changing the setting , though the major drawback was the hard drive was more noisy.

Not to mention some have memory settings that can be tweaked if you have time.

Edited by redvamp128

@markjensen

Bugcheck 117 means, that the graphics cards driver run into an issue and can't be recovered. From the details I see, that this is Build 6000. Please install the Sp1 and next the Sp2 and all updates!

I agree with install the updates. I know you said that you would not like to throw money into this machine. The machine itself is going to be slow with 512MB RAM as Vista is not resource friendly. Linux would be a better choice as you would be limited to run any intensive application on it in its current configuration. Office would be brutally slow and any graphics programs would kill the machine.

XP SP3 would be a better choice and there are many ways to get a used license of it as people upgrade to Windows 7 or Vista even. Remember those around you with older PC's that are going to toss them out or upgrade them. They no longer have a need for the license. Ask them for the key. It's a legit way of obtaining XP and it would be free.

I would be most interested in utilities that run in Linux
Well to test how fast an application opens, drop into a terminal and use time _program_

here's mine for Firefox as an example

kreuger@kreuger-desktop:~/Desktop$ time firefox

real 0m0.661s

user 0m0.024s

sys 0m0.020s

Yeah try installing the Service Packs, might help a lot of things :)

The Update Log shows that it has been installing updates periodically. Does it not install larger Service Packs, unless you it manually?? It seemed reasonable to set "update automatically" and expect it to... well... you know. Update.

I'll get right on those manual updates later today.

Thanks for the help, guys!

The Update Log shows that it has been installing updates periodically. Does it not install larger Service Packs, unless you it manually?? It seemed reasonable to set "update automatically" and expect it to... well... you know. Update.

I'll get right on those manual updates later today.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I would have expected SPs to be installed automatically but from your log it doesn't seem like they got installed

OS Version: 6_0_6000

Service Pack: 0_0

What are the specs on this computer?

Intel Celeron D @ 3.46 GHz

512MB RAM

Curious, but I am on the machine now, and the Microsoft Update utility does NOT show SP1 or any such thing available. For "important" updates, only the Malicious Software Removal Tool shows up. I am in the process of installing that update, along with the two "recommended" minor updates.

As far as I can see with that tool, this install IS updated. :confused:

Intel Celeron D @ 3.46 GHz

512MB RAM

Curious, but I am on the machine now, and the Microsoft Update utility does NOT show SP1 or any such thing available. For "important" updates, only the Malicious Software Removal Tool shows up. I am in the process of installing that update, along with the two "recommended" minor updates.

As far as I can see with that tool, this install IS updated. :confused:

What does the System properties say (Click the Start Menu, right click Computer and then click properties)? It should list what Service Pack is installed at the top if there is one.

Here's some links to the SP's if the system can't update/doesn't report one installed.

SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SP2 requires that SP1 be installed.

I believe Linux doesnt install large/small distro updates such as 9.04 to 9.10 automatically either. So yes, service packs must be installed manually (best way IMO, besides a slipstream)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/7...B948465-X86.exe

There you go :)

What does the System properties say (Click the Start Menu, right click Computer and then click properties)? It should list what Service Pack is installed at the top if there is one.

Here's some links to the SP's if the system can't update/doesn't report one installed.

SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

SP2 requires that SP1 be installed.

It says nothing. Just Vista.

post-36818-1260125389_thumb.png

I believe Linux doesnt install large/small distro updates such as 9.04 to 9.10 automatically either. So yes, service packs must be installed manually (best way IMO, besides a slipstream)

There you go :)

Then you would believe wrong. The update notifier lets me know when the new *buntu is out.

Being unaware/unnotified of a SP, especially when I have it set to check and update automatically is bogus. Frankly, Windows is supposed to be "easier", and if you really think that SPs should be hidden from users, that is just plain crazy.

Anyhow, I guess I will hit the Service Packs manually.

It says nothing. Just Vista.

Then you would believe wrong. The update notifier lets me know when the new *buntu is out.

Being unaware/unnotified of a SP, especially when I have it set to check and update automatically is bogus. Frankly, Windows is supposed to be "easier", and if you really think that SPs should be hidden from users, that is just plain crazy.

Anyhow, I guess I will hit the Service Packs manually.

When SP1 was released, they wouldn't let some pc's download and install it if there were some drivers known to cause issues. My laptop and desktop were victims of this, but I saw no issues are installing it manually. If I had wanted to install it through WU at the time, I would have had to update the sound driver to do so. My Dell laptop is able to install SP1 through WU without the need of the updated driver. Not sure if it still applies today to other drivers, though.

Here's some KB's that could provide some insight to why SP1 isn't being served to your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971220/en-us

the way to really tell if any service packs have been applied- is just a simple-

winver

Typed at the run or in the search.

Though after recently having to restore a friends laptop- I think that there are a few updates that have to be installed first then rebooted - before the service packs will show up in Windows Update.

Here's some KB's that could provide some insight to why SP1 isn't being served to your computer.

I thank you for taking the time to find those links and post them, but none of the listed items apply!
* You already have the service pack installed and do not realize it.

* You must install another update before you can install the service pack.

* You have not installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) and therefore you are not being offered the option to install Service Pack 2 (SP2). SP2 requires you to have SP1 installed.

* System components that you must have to install the service pack are not installed on your computer.

* You have a piece of hardware or software on your computer that is listed in the "Hardware and software that if present will result in Windows Update not offering you a service pack " section of this article.

* You installed a prerelease version of a service pack, and it was not correctly uninstalled before you tried to install the final release version of the service pack.

For the "blacklisted hardware/software" that hides SP1:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

* Symantec software driver for Symantec Endpoint Protection and for Symantec Network Access Control clients

o For x86-based computers:

Wgx.sys version 11.0.1000.1091 or earlier

o For x64-based computers:

Wgx64.sys version 11.0.1000.1091 or earlier

Note Symantec is aware of this issue and has developed a solution. For more information, visit the following Symantec Web site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...007121216494948 (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121216494948)

* Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo LA Notebook (Laptop)

Windows Update will not offer Windows Vista SP1 for Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo LA 1703 Notebooks that have a BIOS release date of March 14, 2008, or earlier (BIOS revision number 8.6T1-0023-M007 or earlier). This block reflects an incorrect power management setting that will be resolved in an updated BIOS revision. For more information, visit the Fujitsu-Siemens support site:

http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/sup.../downloads.html (http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/downloads.html)

For select Notebooks and for AMILO La 1703, an updated BIOS (8.6 or a later version) is expected to be posted soon.

* Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) Store Operations or Headquarters

Windows Vista SP1 is not available from Windows Update to customers who use Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) Store Operations or Headquarters because of an issue with the ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) interface. An update for this issue is available from Microsoft. After you install the update, Windows Vista SP1 will be available from Windows Update. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

952287 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952287/ ) An application that uses the ADO interface may malfunction, or data loss may occur when the application connects to SQL Server in Windows Vista, in Windows XP, or in Windows Server 2008

* vLite

If you used vLite to customize the Windows Vista installation, you may have removed some required system components. To work around this issue, install the latest version of vLite. For more information, visit the following vLite Web site:

http://www.vlite.net/ (http://www.vlite.net/)

And none of those apply to this PC.

I accept that is is not showing up for some reason, but dang, it would be nice if Microsoft posted it was "available", but had to be installed manually due to some problem with automatic delivery.

The SP1 exe has downloaded, but he wants to play on his computer with his brother, so I am booting back to Linux for him to use again. I will come back and get this issue fixed, though. It is sort of a challenge for me. :)

512 MB of memory and you expect Vista will run smoothly on that, Mark?

It's too optimistic, Vista != Linux + Fluxbox. :p

It can still run pretty decent with 512 MB, as long as the user isn't a heavy multitasker.

512 MB of memory and you expect Vista will run smoothly on that, Mark?

It's too optimistic, Vista != Linux + Fluxbox. :p

It ran OK when we got it. Yeah, it was sluggish, but usable.

It runs great on Xubuntu, and it should run as good as it used to on Vista. Not sure why it slowed down to its current unusable state.

(it was painful for me to post on Neowin from that PC, as it would take literally 60 seconds from when I clicked "reply" to when I was presented a page and text box to type a reply into.)

I just want to get it back to running the way it was.

There you go

Reading problems?

Ubuntu (in my case) and Windows act the same way. They notify when there are updates for the operating system: This includes SPs, driver updates, etc. Ubuntu tells when there is a new distro update out and Windows tells when there is a new service pack out.

I believe this is a Windows thread so to avoid further discussion, lets keep Linux out of this thread from now on :)

Mark, it's probably not just 512MB of RAM, typically low end computers come with integrated graphics, so you probably have less than you think. I would highly recommend a RAM upgrade to at least 1GB, if not 2GB. Vista, really runs better with 1.5GB of RAM (thats how I ran it with integrated graphics, and it was speedy. My laptop also got a 3 on WEI and is about 5 almost 6 years old). Or just stick with Linux

Mark, it's probably not just 512MB of RAM, typically low end computers come with integrated graphics, so you probably have less than you think. I would highly recommend a RAM upgrade to at least 1GB, if not 2GB. Vista, really runs better with 1.5GB of RAM (thats how I ran it with integrated graphics, and it was speedy. My laptop also got a 3 on WEI and is about 5 almost 6 years old). Or just stick with Linux

In the screenshot of the System page he posted, it has 503MB RAM available.

It ran OK when we got it. Yeah, it was sluggish, but usable.

It runs great on Xubuntu, and it should run as good as it used to on Vista. Not sure why it slowed down to its current unusable state.

(it was painful for me to post on Neowin from that PC, as it would take literally 60 seconds from when I clicked "reply" to when I was presented a page and text box to type a reply into.)

I just want to get it back to running the way it was.

In the screenshot of the System page he posted, it has 503MB RAM available.

My best guess it would be that something is leaching the CPU.

I didn't bother reading all of the thread sorry if I'm suggesting something that has already been analyzed, might I ask if you already tried to stop all the services (that can be safely stopped) and terminate all the processes that can be terminated (including explorer) to isolate the problem?

I don't have an XP license. I am wary of CCleaner. If it is recommended by several other posters without caveats, I will certainly try it.

CCleaner is good for cleaning out junk files, but unless your hard disk is dangerously low on space, it will have very little if any impact on performance. Have you done all the obligatory things, like doing a defrag?

Also, you should be able to disable superfetch on that machine, with 512mb of memory, you may see a performance gain, as there will be a lot more hard disk virtual memory swapping with superfetch enabled on configurations with less than 1GB of memory