Trusted Installer?

Does nobody read the thread before they post?

The permissions issue was addressed back in post 5 where I showed him how to delete the file he wanted.

And no the System account does not have the correct permissions either. The 3k file he is so worried about not having instant access to delete on whim is owned by the TrustedInstaller -- with system, admins, etc. only have read -- so no **** you can not delete the file by hitting delete, or by elevating yourself to another account be it system or admin.

I'm not seeing why its such a big freaking deal -- it takes like 3 seconds to give yourself the permission you need to delete the file if you so desire. Changing the permissions of yes "system files" so that everyone has full control -- so you can delete them on a whim is just plain asinine.. It serves no purpose other than to lower the security of your system even more.

People talk about how bad windows is for security etc.. Then they suggest stuff like change permissions on system files :rolleyes:

The whole thread has gotten out of hand -- you are god on the system, what more do you want?? You can delete whatever files you want -- you just need to follow the same rules the OS follows.. If the file is listed as not being owned by your account, or whatever group your account is a member. And your group and account only have read -- then NO **** you can not delete it.. But as god on your own system you can change that in 2 freaking seconds.

Suggesting you do that down the tree before hand is just plain asinine, for what reason -- so on a whim if you decide to delete some other system protected file you don't want to be bothered by a pop up that tells you don't currently have permissions? So let me guess you also disable the warnings bells and lights in your car to put on your seat belt? I mean why in the world would you want to be warned about something that might cause harm? Like deleting a system file, or putting on your seat belt.

Weird, I thought that the System account was the highest account there is. It is the account Windows uses before the creation of the Administrator account, setup, and such. Is there not a one account to rule them all?

I am the Alpha and the Omega sounds a lot better than I am Admin, these two are separate in my opinion. As changing permissions and unlocking files takes some time, nag screens, and frustration.

It is a control issue, it is mine thus it should bow down to me and do anything I tell it to.

Weird, I thought that the System account was the highest account there is. It is the account Windows uses before the creation of the Administrator account, setup, and such. Is there not a one account to rule them all?

I am the Alpha and the Omega sounds a lot better than I am Admin, these two are separate in my opinion. As changing permissions and unlocking files takes some time, nag screens, and frustration.

It is a control issue, it is mine thus it should bow down to me and do anything I tell it to.

The admin account has all rights. however like in a building the boss doesn't necessarily have keys for every door, but he can get them if he wants to.

but as default some system folders will be owned by accounts such as trusted installer, with that being the only write enable account on those folders. and as Budman said, any admin can change those owner and permission rights.

Trusted installer supersedes all other privileges. You have to remove it in order to manipulate its files.

Trusted installer supersedes all other privileges. You have to remove it in order to manipulate its files.

Again no it does not.

in folders where trusted installer is owner and the only one with write permissions you need to take ownership, but trusted installer doesn't supercede anything, it's an admin like admin and admin users.

As was said before, it's just different priv's. folders where your user has owenrship and is the only one with write permissions trusted installer can't do anything either, unless you give it permission through UAC or give ir write permission.

Kind of a tangent. :) Truncating the OS outside of key defined removable component boundaries is not well supportable, let alone supported.

The OS will not generally function well if people arbitrarily redefine or truncate components. At that point you're taking your system into your own hands. This is a pretty basic principle of componentized OS design. Perhaps you're arguing that Theme X should be removable, but that's a different discussion. Does Windows take the design/test hit to block themes out into their own components? Does that investment add substantive value vs other places you could be working on?</tangent>

But I'd suspect this is less of a componentization issue than a Themes plug-in issue.

I understand your point, but themes really aren't a core component of an OS. The visual styles are more important, but the themes aren't but I do agree with the principle you are trying to convey, which is why I don't bother doing things like VLiteing installs.

I have yet to see you post anything worth anything in any freaking thread.. How exactly did your post either help the OP or even move the tread forward in anyway. You clearly have no idea WTF your talking about -- your suggestion is nonsense!

Yes, I do know what I am talking about I just didn't realise the theme files where protected with NTFS permission control, as I don't recall seeing themes being protected in that way in previous versions of Windows. I have never tried to delete them myself so what I posted was just a guess, unlike you with your obvious greatness I make the odd error or 2 sometimes, we can't all be perfect sadly :(

And actually, I have done work on tons of people's computers, and have always been complimented on what a good job I do of my work. Unlike you, I don't think I know everything, and also unlike you, I work with computers to help people not so I can establish my superiority over them. It is a growing pattern, I don't think I have seen you make a single post that hasn't had some condescending content in it. There's just no need for it, its already hard enough to get decent answers in this forum as it is.

My arrogant self clearly pointed out why he can not delete the files and how to -- if he so desired.. Shoot you could not even be bothered to test it your lame ass suggestion or you would of known.

Flaming eh. Shows you are really earning that MVC badge :rolleyes: anyone else would earn warnings for crap like that. Way to show your upper hand by acting like a childish buffoon though :D

"and have always been complimented on what a good job I do of my work"

Good for you -- Do you fix the computers between making the fries?? ;) I'm happy for you.. Here you don't bother to read a thread before posting nonsense that will not work -- from which anyone could only assume is a complete and utter lack of understanding of the basics.

You did not understand the theme files were protected? The OP first post went over the issue he was having and not having permission -- what you did not think the system would not ask him to elevate to admin?? Notice the icon

post-14624-1260062271.jpg

Do you normally not even get to post #5 before posting your suggestion? What if it had already been given? etc.. I clearly went over the issue and gave the user the method used to delete the file he wanted to delete.

But you being such a "good person" and so praised at work for your "good job" you do nothing but attack me in the thread you were too lazy to even read. Dude I am really sorry I know more than you, I am really sorry your not a MVC, get over it already.

Again no it does not.

in folders where trusted installer is owner and the only one with write permissions you need to take ownership, but trusted installer doesn't supercede anything, it's an admin like admin and admin users.

As was said before, it's just different priv's. folders where your user has owenrship and is the only one with write permissions trusted installer can't do anything either, unless you give it permission through UAC or give ir write permission.

Log in as administrator and delete a trusted installer file. No way. You can only deleting it by removing trusted installers permissions. Hence Trusted Installer privileges supersede Administrator.

Log in as administrator and delete a trusted installer file. No way. You can only deleting it by removing trusted installers permissions. Hence Trusted Installer privileges supersede Administrator.

No, then admins wouldn't be able to take ownership of the files/directories. They don't supercede, they're just different. and admin can take ownership of anything.

Admin means one thing in Windows, and that is that you can change the ACL of objects. That's it. It does not, and has never, given you automatic access to all objects. There has never been any "super administrators."

Petrossa has been told this before, but he doesn't get it.

Does nobody read the thread before they post?

The permissions issue was addressed back in post 5 where I showed him how to delete the file he wanted.

And no the System account does not have the correct permissions either. The 3k file he is so worried about not having instant access to delete on whim is owned by the TrustedInstaller -- with system, admins, etc. only have read -- so no **** you can not delete the file by hitting delete, or by elevating yourself to another account be it system or admin.

I'm not seeing why its such a big freaking deal -- it takes like 3 seconds to give yourself the permission you need to delete the file if you so desire. Changing the permissions of yes "system files" so that everyone has full control -- so you can delete them on a whim is just plain asinine.. It serves no purpose other than to lower the security of your system even more.

People talk about how bad windows is for security etc.. Then they suggest stuff like change permissions on system files :rolleyes:

I will ask for the thread to be closed as the answer has been given already.

I only gave myself permissions on those particular files. They were .theme files in the C:\Windows\Resources, the actual themes being dafault ones that come with W7-Home Premium. There's architecture, scenes, characters, landscapes and nature - all themes which I do not need or require.

If you want to see what I saw, then go to that folder (come on, are you really going to use the architecture theme?), hit delete and you will see what I saw.

Admin means one thing in Windows, and that is that you can change the ACL of objects. That's it. It does not, and has never, given you automatic access to all objects. There has never been any "super administrators."

Petrossa has been told this before, but he doesn't get it.

Guess not and it doesn't get easier to get it if you contradict yourself :laugh: ?There has never been any "super administrators." >as in an administrator has not full control over everything. You first have to delete trusted installer before you can handle the files.

Hence: Trusted installer supersedes Administrator, because as you correctly stated there is no Super Administrator with automatic full access to everything.