Gran Turismo 5 Demo Hits December 17

gtacademy.jpg

That's right a brand new circuit - but we will keep it a secret until the 17th!

Well at least it won't be that same track we've seen from Japan 800 times.

I think that secret circuit will be the Transfagarasan Highway, if that doesn't ring a bell its the road that was on this season's first episode of Top Gear. Its suppose to be the 'best' road in the world...its located in Romania.

transfagarasan-romania-top-gear.jpg

We already know it will be in the game as we saw some photos of the Toyota concept car in this setting, but it would still be a 'surprise' for most.

I honestly can't wait...thank god my final exam is the day before the demo comes out.

Nah the track in the trial is probably something "sensible". They're taking people who do well on it to race on a real track :p

Would be awesome if it was the Top Gear Test Track for lap times!!

Don't get your hopes up, it's not really a demo, just a time trial for GT Academy, just over 200mb, no damage, and obviously no racing against anyone else...

The demo was specifically designed for this competition to showcase the realism of the brand-new physics engine and to challenge players? driving skills using professional driving physics and many of the driving assists disabled. The full Gran Turismo 5 will feature multiple driving assists and various settings that can be changed to make the game easier or more challenging and realistic.

154ej2q.jpg

opmc88.jpg

11t8sv8.jpg

qwzzva.jpg

125gj1w.jpg

5fkpiw.jpg

axmpdy.jpg

iz1h8z.jpg

2r7swo7.jpg

2hp3zep.jpg

Although we'll be able to test how the physics have changed. I suspect a proper GT5 JP Demo come January or something.

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers and GT fans. Two weeks ago we announced the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, and I'm here to give you a breakdown of what to expect when the demo hits PSN this coming Thursday. This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real "challenge" for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don't worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you'll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5's 950+ cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

4185468136_04e23eab55_m.jpg 4184707019_d87ae6c81a_m.jpg

One thing you may have been wondering since the announcement two weeks ago is which track you'll be competing on. Well, as suggested by the prizes, you'll be racing on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway course, on a special road course layout of this historic track, stunningly re-created as only the masters at Polyphony Digital can. And as you can tell from the screenshots (visit the official GT website for the full gallery), it looks gorgeous. And it's fitting that the competition is set on Indy, because the fastest US player and fastest Canadian player will win VIP packages to the 2010 Indianapolis 500 next May.

4185468642_16b7d589af_m.jpg 4184707165_55b191b798_m.jpg

There will be two time trial events available when you boot up the demo, both featuring the Nissan 370Z. One event will put you behind the wheel of the car in its stock configuration, and the other lets you drive a tuned version with reduced weight, tires with more grip, and more aerodynamic body parts. The tuned version drives and handles a little better, so you'll want to start with it to get a feel for the game and to learn the track. When you're ready, take the stock 370Z for a spin, but be careful to watch your throttle or you really will be going for a "spin."

4185469062_7500cd7119_m.jpg 4184707479_0a9e668fde_m.jpg

And of course the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge is your entry method for a chance to win round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, in May. Each winner also gets a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day (final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. The fastest players from both the US and Canada will represent their fellow GT fans at this exciting historic race. That's a pretty sweet way to spend a weekend.

4185467270_fbed22641f_m.jpg 4185467930_8e0fbfd998_m.jpg

That's about it. I look forward to seeing you all competing for that top spot down to the wire on January 25. Look for me competing against your time, if I make the top tier. My PSN ID is skebe. Good luck!

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/get...arts-this-week/

Noobs need not apply it seems :p

Isn't there a possibility that some casual fans will download the demo, think the game is way too hard, and not bother with the full game?

I don't understand why they'd release a demo like this. Serves no purpose to lock out the driving assists IMO.

Isn't there a possibility that some casual fans will download the demo, think the game is way too hard, and not bother with the full game?

I don't understand why they'd release a demo like this. Serves no purpose to lock out the driving assists IMO.

Because it's not the demo that will be released to showcase GT5, it's a time trial for GT Academy.

I'm pretty sure there will be some "warning" messages when loading it up about it's purpose and what GT Academy is. If you've read above the people with the best lap times go onto compete with each other then the winner gets to race in a real car and potentially become pro, I'm pretty sure driving assists don't really exist in real life :p They need to release it on PSN to get it to the people who then all compete.

I'm pretty sure if you download it, load it up and there's 2 cars, no cars to race against and one track you're going to know it's not really like any racing sim demo you've played before.

i like that they are doing this, that way i'll be forced to learn the game without any assists and that way when the game comes out i'll be good to go without any.

Two people have beat Kaz's time already (guy at top made the two videos I posted above),

29z8ysp.jpg

Ordonez is GT Acadmey 2008's winner.

I just went to download it and realized it's not for north america... damn it...

I know the PSN store usually does not update until about 6 PM every Thursday, so it very well may not just be on yet? Or do we really not get it?

We do get it, but later in the day. It's already available on the EU/JAP stores.

The driving physics are simply amazing, its definitely the best feeling racing game I've ever played...and I've played them all. The time trial itself is quite boring, you've got two cars, 1 track, and your racing in circles to beat the rest of the world.

I'm pretty sure the competition isn't for NA though, but you can still download and play it.

I had a whirl at this earlier, but the meds im on just now are absolutely knocking my sleeping patterns senseless haha.

All I can say is professional physics = professional physics. I could hardly stay on the track :laugh:

It is a little boring just being a time trial, but I guess we'll get a better fleshed out demo nearer the time.

Wow I actually made it around the track without crashing, etc. :laugh: I guess Prologue actually helped prepped me a little for playing a GT game. With that said I still only got a 1:43 (I think it was, already turned my PS3 off and way past my bed time) with the tuned car. I do have to say though was pretty surprised when I watched the playback of the top score so far in the US, I really thought hitting the white on the sides was an absolute no no, but apparently that is okay.

Just curious did it "stutter" for anyone else? I put stutter in quotes as it was not a real stutter so to speak, it literally would just kind of freeze for a split second then catch up to itself. I would not even point it out but it happened a good four times over the course of trying about 3 laps. I am wondering if it was the online system or something, as it did not see performance related at all.