Gran Turismo 5 Demo Hits December 17

No stutter here, was pretty smooth. However, my driving was not... I was all over the place lol. I did like 2:30 on the normal mode, don't even wanna see how bad I'd do with the suped upped Z :D

No stutter here, was pretty smooth. However, my driving was not... I was all over the place lol. I did like 2:30 on the normal mode, don't even wanna see how bad I'd do with the suped upped Z :D

The Supped up Z is actually easier to drive, more down force and better handling :)

Yep the tuned car is a lot easier, has a lot more grip and with TC off is much easier to control the rear. Last night went back and did the standard car and improved to 1'51.553, currently sitting 194th in the UK with the 2 times added together :D

This is awesome! Just played with the tunned car and it's hard as, trying the standard now! Going to be buying this when it comes out, but maybe setting the physics a little less, you know, hard. Little complaint : Menu's at the menu screen freeze - it's annoying!

Managed to just slip into the top 1000 with a 1.39.x with the tuned car. I've tried the other one but the aggressive traction control ****es me off majorly.. and you can't adjust the TC settings in this car!

Not related to this time trial but this is pretty cool from GT5 Prologue (meant to sim head cam)

Also some crazy drivers in the UK beating Kaz's time by quite a bit - http://eu.gran-turismo.com/ie/academy/2010...d=0&area=61 (Kaz is 62 on the UK leaderboards).

Edited by Audioboxer

The game sucks so bad. The graphics are meh, controls are meh. NFS Shift>GT5

You're comparing a full game to a time trial with 2 cars and 1 track? Sounds like a reasonable comparison to me.

It's been a long time coming, but Gran Turismo 5 is almost upon us. While we got a glimpse of the series on the PS3 in the form of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, it's become more apparent that Prologue will not be indicative of what'll be in the final game. From damage to better visuals to a completely redone physics and driving engine, what we're going to see next year (March in Japan, TBD in North America) will be something entirely brand-new

We're now getting our first taste of the real Gran Turismo 5 with the release of the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, a free demo (of sorts) that's now available worldwide. While damage isn't turned on and builds at TGS and Gamescom have been better in terms of showing off its visual prowess, the Time Trial Challenge allows us to try out the new driving physics, and man, this thing handles like a dream.

Granted, the game is locked to the Professional driving setting, so these characteristics and more "demanding" steering input may be lessened in the Standard setting in the final version, but I honestly couldn't see myself going back at this point. In the past, Professional always seemed to be a bigger challenge and more realistic, but I'm not sure that, for me, it was more fun on a core level than the Standard setting. Now, however, I'm definitely sticking with Polyphony's physics tour-de-force as it now feels as fun as it does challenging.

I love what I've played. The new driving model is, from what I can make of it right now, phenomenal. It'll take some time with another few dozen cars to see how it holds up across multiple vehicle models, but if this is a sign of what's to come, Polyphony has outdone itself.

Unlike the silky-smooth cockpit experience of Prologue (and basically every GT release before it), this latest offering gives us a look at the rougher, tougher Gran Turismo 5. Your view from behind the steering wheel (which is really how it's meant to be driven) now jostles and jumps as imperfections in the road instantly work their way from the tires and shocks to your virtual pelvis. It's not as flagrant as it is in the likes of Need for Speed Shift, but it's certainly handled well and way better than any previous GT release.

The highlight here though is the tire-to-road handling. The stock and tuned Nissan 370Zs (your only two options in the trial) bite, lunge and roll in response to every steering input in a way that really hasn't been seen in the series before. If you oversteer a little at high speed and then correct your heading with a slight adjustment of the wheel, you'll not only see but feel the car jerk back a bit as the weight shifts and it grips the road properly again. It's very noticeable if you pay attention to this sort of thing, and its inclusion forces you to take into account just one more characteristic that's sure to be unique on every ride, which is great.

Steering is touchier now as well, but in a good way. The smoother but longer steering adjustments have been replaced by quicker motions on the wheel, allowing you to dig into a turn and even intentionally oversteer to swing the back end out a fair bit easier.

In terms of graphics, this isn't the showpiece for the game that some folks have been expecting. Perhaps it's because it's a relatively flat and bland course (though that's true to life for this track) rather than featuring lots of buildings and roadside stuff to show off the lighting system, but outside of the cars (which look great), there isn't a lot to see.

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1056254p1.html

It's only a 200mb download, but for anyone wanting some impressions...

Just got a 1'39.202 tuned and 152.658 Standard, and that puts me at 27th overall in Ireland :)

lots of slow people in Ireland, I would be 16th (14th if you ignore the previous winner / Kaz's times) :p

Also some crazy drivers in the UK beating Kaz's time by quite a bit - http://eu.gran-turismo.com/ie/academy/2010...d=0&area=61 (Kaz is 62 on the UK leaderboards).

I'm getting close to his time, current best is 1'37.951 which is only third of a second off his time. If I got my hands on a wheel I could control the acceleration better and probably go faster.

Holy crap the Australians are leading this one - http://eu.gran-turismo.com/ie/academy/2010...d=0&area=73

FTR all the guys with GTP, are the GT nuts from GTPlanet.

I'm comparing the driving experience.

Well most driving experiences take place on a track with other cars don't they? I'm pretty sure you were probably playing Shift on normal, if it even has driving physics settings which means you can no doubt take corners at 200mph. This trial is on professional physics, it is not easy to drive, which takes away a lot of the fun for many but it's a time trial for GT Academy, the people who do good at this go on to compete to race in real life, which is why in essence it's not really a GT5 demo as such.

I can't even keep the cars on the track, I won't be playing GT5 on professional physics, at least not for a long time, so this trial isn't really much fun for me.

ridias if you were comparing this to forza and saying forza physics were better you would maybe have a point, but to NFS? that game is not a simulation at all...

I wasn't impressed with the small TimeTrial Demo. Surroundings were poor. Was it me, or was there only one view (in car)? At least have vehicle dmg. The driving itself felt very stiff. Deleted the demo not long after the install.

Here's hoping for a great final product.

I wasn't impressed with the small TimeTrial Demo. Surroundings were poor. Was it me, or was there only one view (in car)? At least have vehicle dmg. The driving itself felt very stiff. Deleted the demo not long after the install.

Here's hoping for a great final product.

Press select to change view.

Ohhh the GTP guys are from GTPlanet. Those guys are fast.

LOL I suck, my time in tuned is 1'48 and normal 1'59 :laugh:

Man I want to play a full GT game. Looking forward to GT5. Its been a long time since a play a GT game.

Press select to change view.

oh wow, really? I mashed at least 4 other buttons that appeared to do nothing at all. too used to the typical triangle view change. :(

Was not impressed by the demo but then agan it was such a lame excuse of a demo! Is this all they are offering before the game is released?

As mentioned, it's not a demo, its a time trial. Hopefully a full demo will come out before the release though so we can have some proper racing.

As mentioned, it's not a demo, its a time trial. Hopefully a full demo will come out before the release though so we can have some proper racing.

It was being mentioned as demo up until release! :blink:

It was being mentioned as demo up until release! :blink:

Don't take anything Sony or the press mentions regarding Sony too seriously, they flip flop around constantly with statements and announcements.