Gran Turismo 5 Demo Hits December 17

Was not impressed by the demo but then agan it was such a lame excuse of a demo! Is this all they are offering before the game is released?

You're seriously asking yourself that question?

It's plastered all over it it's a time trial for GT Academy. The only thing it does for GT5 is show off the new physics.

There will be something for GT5 in Jan/Feb in Japan next year.

How anyone can have any fun driving around a plain track themselves I'll never know, this is clearly just for those seriously interested in trying to get into the top 10/compete for the time trials. How anyone can think it's a final representation of the whole game I'll never know either.

Edited by Audioboxer

You're seriously asking yourself that question?

It's plastered all over it it's a time trial for GT Academy. The only thing it does for GT5 is show off the new physics.

There will be something for GT5 in Jan/Feb in Japan next year.

How anyone can have any fun driving around a plain track themselves I'll never know, this is clearly just for those seriously interested in trying to get into the top 10/compete for the time trials. How anyone can think it's a final representation of the whole game I'll never know either.

Calm down, I never said it was the final representation but it was widely announced that there would be a 'demo' released. Not some stupid time trial which shows us not very much of the final game.

Hopefully they will release a bigger 'demo' nearer the time.

Calm down, I never said it was the final representation but it was widely announced that there would be a 'demo' released. Not some stupid time trial which shows us not very much of the final game.

Hopefully they will release a bigger 'demo' nearer the time.

Everywhere detailed it as a time trial! Even the official blog. So does my first post in this topic.

The time trial has to be done for GT Academy, and they want as many people taking part as possible from participating countries. A 2.5GB demo packed with content for the purpose of just being a time trial would be quite stupid, 200mb is much more manageable for every country that can take part.

I'm really impressed with the physics - you get a real feel for the weight and power of the car, and balancing how much pressure you put on the brake and accelerator actually matters, unlike a lot of other racers where only entrance speed into a corner seems to matter and you can crunch down hard on the brakes constantly.

Fastest times so far by country

3'23.464 Japan

3'23.724 Australia

3'24.083 United Kingdom

3'24.230 Portugal

3'24.298 Canada

3'24.302 Spain

3'24.303 Hong Kong

3'24.449 United States

3'25.141 Austria

3'24.142 Switzerland

3'24.217 Germany

3'24.272 Italy

3'24.321 France

3'24.421 The Netherlands

3'24.715 Taiwan

3'24.727 Finland

3'24.890 Belgium

3'24.999 Sweden

3'25.141 New Zealand

3'25.275 Singapore

3'25.481 Korea

3'25.576 Denmark

3'25.760 Norway

3'26.001 Ireland

3'26.135 Thailand

3'27.043 ------------- Ordo?ez

3'27.309 ------------- Yamauchi

3'27.986 Mexico

3'29.421 Indonesia

3'29.430 Malaysia

4 seconds faster than Kaz? People like us on Neowin have no chance :( Ordo?ez is last years GT Academy winner.

Honestly if this demo was made in order to get people impressed with the game for me at least it has failed. The Vehicle itself looked the best however, the rest looked horrible. The control of the vehicle was horrible (probably just racing games not sure) however the Demo (Time Trial) in itself was just horrible for me.

I miss the gameshark or rather Action Replay days on PS2 where i could make a car with 2500hp and very very easy to control with the game save editor for windows lol

Honestly if this demo was made in order to get people impressed with the game for me at least it has failed. The Vehicle itself looked the best however, the rest looked horrible. The control of the vehicle was horrible (probably just racing games not sure) however the Demo (Time Trial) in itself was just horrible for me.

Yes a time trial with one track, one car and no opponents is suppose to represent a game with 70 tracks and over 950 cars...

Sony said what it was countless times, a time trial for GT Academy with a glimpse at the newer physics engine for GT5.

There's nothing wrong with that not impressing you, but you have to understand this is not a showcase of GT5, it's a necessity for GT Academy to progress and a winner to be picked to go on to race in real life.

A Time Trial or not, maybe I didn't play Prologue as much as I thought, but to me the Time Trial looks worse graphically than GT5 Prologue did.

It feels like it is running the same engine, no damage either wtf,

anyway i suck my best was 1.58 with both tuned and un-tuned

ASS, my roommate just got a 1.46 with the tuned car GAH!!

I really should go buy a game wheel

Edited by Phantom Helix

Hah, I told you guys that a demo like this will ruin peoples' opinions of the game. Huge mistake to release something like this IMO.

Doesn't matter if Sony says it's not representative of the final game or that it's a demo for the hardcore. The fact that everyone has access to it WILL influence their judgment on the final game. Your average gamer doesn't pay attention to game development processes. What they see in a demo is what they expect from the full game.

Edited by ienhz

Time-trial or not, at least they could have included the damage system.

I did think that, but it is only a time trial and not really a demo as such. The title of this thread is very misleading.

Hah, I told you guys that a demo like this will ruin peoples' opinions of the game. Huge mistake to release something like this IMO.

Doesn't matter if Sony says it's not representative of the final game or that it's a demo for the hardcore. The fact that everyone has access to it WILL influence their judgment on the final game. Your average gamer doesn't pay attention to game development processes. What they see in a demo is what they expect from the full game.

No, you're an idiot if you don't see GT Academy plastered all over it, how could anyone in their right mind think a time trial with 2 cars, 1 track and no opponents be representative of a game with 70 tracks, and 950 cars.

It explicitly said on blogs This demo is out for one purpose and that's to recruit for GT Academy. It's not to show off GT5. The only thing they said to look out for in relation to GT5 is the new physics engine.

Not Sony's fault if people can't read, plus they'll be another demo a few months off where all these people that expect this time trial is indicative of the final game get a red face. As for damage it's probably quite an old build that's been branched off for GT Academy, and yeah, because you need damage for a TIME TRIAL RUN which invalidates your lap for competing on the course by hitting any obstacles anyway.

By the way, the Japanese are running away with this

Takeuchi01

Normal: 1'47.659

Tuned: 1'35.805

Total: 3'23.464

:|

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/academy/2010/ranking/

Edited by Audioboxer

Honestly i think the physics at slow speeds are way off, I have an 80's Mercury Lynx that at 35mph could make the turns on that time trial course better than either the normal or tuned car at the same speed, and i mean way way way better

It wasn't, you fail to understand what it was meant for. This is not a demo to showcase the game!! it was quickly put together for the GT Academy to allow people to have a go at entering the competition. It was never designed to be pretty and it was never designed for any other purpose then GT Academy (you can't even play it offline, it won't work). The controls were tweaked for use with a steering wheel and not the controller, as this time trial is not for people who just want to mess around but people who are serious about driving (as Kaz/Nissan/Sony etc want the best of the best). I'm just amazing by how many people think it's a demo and then continue to bitch and moan how crap it is! It's a time trial people, get over it!

It explicitly said on blogs This demo is out for one purpose and that's to recruit for GT Academy. It's not to show off GT5. The only thing they said to look out for in relation to GT5 is the new physics engine.

Should probably get a mod to change the thread topic, then.

No, you're an idiot if you don't see GT Academy plastered all over it, how could anyone in their right mind think a time trial with 2 cars, 1 track and no opponents be representative of a game with 70 tracks, and 950 cars.

The fact that message boards across the internet are complaining about the game's graphics already shows you're wrong. Just look at neogaf, 70 pages of people complaining about how much the game looks like ass or that the physics feel messed up. Hell, there's even a 7 page thread on Sony's own Playstation forum. This isn't even counting people who DON'T post on message boards.

You can keep telling yourself it won't affect anyone's opinion of the game but the evidence already speaks for itself.

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not saying this game is crap. I KNOW it's better. I'm saying releasing a "time trial" like this is a marketing mistake.

Edited by ienhz

The fact that message boards across the internet are complaining about the game's graphics already shows you're wrong. Just look at neogaf, 70 pages of people complaining about how much the game looks like ass or that the physics feel messed up. Hell, there's even a 7 page thread on Sony's own Playstation forum. This isn't even counting people who DON'T post on message boards.

You can keep telling yourself it won't affect anyone's opinion of the game but the evidence already speaks for itself.

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not saying this game is crap. I KNOW it's better. I'm saying releasing a "time trial" like this is a marketing mistake.

People whine and babble about everything, just have to soak it up for another month or two and all the whiners will be doing a 180.

Everyone wants a proper GT5 demo, that's not what this is, so they cry their eyes out for another few weeks till we get out a JP demo, or Famitsu or some Japanese gaming mag does a blow out of everything in GT5.

Live with it in the gaming industry, whining about everything and anything is the top priority, even when it's clearly stated something is something it's not.

People whine and babble about everything, just have to soak it up for another month or two and all the whiners will be doing a 180.

Everyone wants a proper GT5 demo, that's not what this is, so they cry their eyes out for another few weeks till we get out a JP demo, or Famitsu or some Japanese gaming mag does a blow out of everything in GT5.

Live with it in the gaming industry, whining about everything and anything is the top priority, even when it's clearly stated something is something it's not.

I would actually say that they might as well as not bothered releasing this 'time trial' but that is my own opinion!

I would actually say that they might as well as not bothered releasing this 'time trial' but that is my own opinion!

They have to for GT Academy can't you understand that?

GT Academy isn't some minor thing on the side, it produces a real winner who goes on to have the chance to become a real driver. You should maybe do some more reading on it... and about last years winner here.

The reason it's all about lap times is the fastest people go on to compete head to head.

They have to for GT Academy can't you understand that?

GT Academy isn't some minor thing on the side, it produces a real winner who goes on to have the chance to become a real driver. You should maybe do some more reading on it... and about last years winner here.

The reason it's all about lap times is the fastest people go on to compete head to head.

Am I not allowed to state my own opinion without you bashing it. Calm down! This 'demo' was obviously not meant for everyone, was designed purely at the hardcore fans!

I'll wait until they do release a fuller demo for us to try :)

Oh and I care very little for the GT Academy, I do not see the point of it myself but each to their own. I know what the GT Academy is.

Funny how you were stating its all about showing the physics but all in all its really just for people to post their fastest times and nothing more.

Am I not allowed to state my own opinion without you bashing it. Calm down! This 'demo' was obviously not meant for everyone, was designed purely at the hardcore fans!

I'll wait until they do release a fuller demo for us to try :)

Oh and I care very little for the GT Academy, I do not see the point of it myself but each to their own. I know what the GT Academy is.

Funny how you were stating its all about showing the physics but all in all its really just for people to post their fastest times and nothing more.

It does show off the new physics, and if you care very little for GT Academy then yeah obviously not a demo for you.