NOTICE: Essential Server Maintainence

Neowin will be offline for a brief period today for a short maintainence window in which the servers that run the site are being re-racked at the datacenter. This will require all six servers to be shutdown, removed from the racks, and reinstalled. We anticipate this work will take no longer than 30 minutes, but should complications arise, the work may take slightly longer. I will be on hand throughout the work to ensure the servers come back up promptly, and without issue when they are reinstalled into the racks.

This work is scheduled to be carried out around 10am EST (GMT-5).

We thank you for your patience whilst this essential work is conducted.

Keep your eyes open in the coming weeks for more exciting announcements from the development team.

Since Neowin IRC is going to be down during the maintenance as well I took the liberty of creating a replacement channel on Freenode. As a service for the IRC addicts like myself.

irc.freenode.net

#tmpneowin

yay!! welcome back neowin, good work to all involved behind the scenes, something obviously went a little... kaka ;) Good to see it's back up and running again!

Well, that didn't exactly go to plan...

The work was completed just behind schedule, but then we had an issue with the database server running extremely slowly, which is why we remained offline for far longer than estimated. It turns out that what happened was the ethernet adaptor set itself into 10mpbs mode, at half-duplex, thus majorly restricting the speed of data throughput. Once I finally discovered this was the cause, and reset it to the usual parameters, things started working again :) As usual, we had a slow period to start with as IPB is horrible to the database server when starting back up, but things are settling down now.

Good to know that such a simple problem can cripple a website.

Good job Dave and the rest of the devs!!!

Dam, your posts are still over 50k, I was hoping for some error or something. :p

imagine their are quirk that the system interrupt 50000 post as 5000 :laugh: :rofl:

Dam, your posts are still over 50k, I was hoping for some error or something. :p

it's all happened before and it will happen again ;)

Is it just me or does the site seem a bit faster?

It should do, I took the chance while working on an issue to move forward some other maintainence I was planning. We should be faster now, and cope much better under heavy loads.

It should do, I took the chance while working on an issue to move forward some other maintainence I was planning. We should be faster now, and cope much better under heavy loads.

That's certainly good news. Thanks. :)