Surge Protectors

I just got a LG 32LH30 TV on sale at Best Buy, and the sales rep was pressing me to spend another $80 on a surge protector. I'm wondering, is there any advantage to the expensive, name-brand surge protector vs a $10 one from Wal-Mart? All I am planning to connect to it is the TV, satellite DVR, and a DVD player - what would be an idea surge protector for that setup?

Yes - as always, Monster items are overpriced. But don't go for the cheapest ones. When I got mine, I made sure to get one that had a guarantee in case any of my stuff was damaged. Make sure you get something you can run ALL cables thru that will connect to your stuff: coax, electric, CAT, etc.

I bought two Belkin models online, they were ?30 each but guarantee any connected electronics for up to ?100,000 in the event that a surge destroys the components and the protector failed to work. Thats what is important to me, the guarantee, any company that is willing to shell out ?100,000 in the event that your goods fail means they are confident in their product.

Do also read the fine print on the guarantees these surge protector companies offer. Most will only honor the guarantee if you register your purchase of the product with them. I'm pretty sure 95% of the people buying these things do not do that, and thus, no monetary guarantee (other than replacement of the surge protector).

Yes - as always, Monster items are overpriced. But don't go for the cheapest ones. When I got mine, I made sure to get one that had a guarantee in case any of my stuff was damaged. Make sure you get something you can run ALL cables thru that will connect to your stuff: coax, electric, CAT, etc.

+1. Make sure it has all the connections that you need. I knew someone who bought an expensive surge protector and plugged their plasma TV into it but the coax cables running from the TV->cable box->wall weren't protected and the TV got zapped.

Also keep in mind that most surge protectors under $100 work the same way and are recommended to be replaced every 2-3 years because they do wear out.

I'm not looking to spend too much, probably no more than $40-$50. Is there any specific brand that works better then others in that price range?

I usually get one that's name brand, like APC, Belkin, or Fellowes.

http://www.powersquid.com/surge_protection_introduction.html

The above link has helpful information. I just purchased the squid calamari which is touted to be a very effective surge protector/line conditioner, however, it is about $16 over your budget on amazon.

Condensed version - Look for clamping voltage of 330v and higher joule rating (generally look for at least 1000).