If people really object to this, then do what I did yesterday. Phone your landline phone provider and terminate your contract. I can't remember the last time I used mine anyway, I use my mobile for everything.

Great idea FloatingFatMan. Consider this if you pay ?11 in Line Rental you might as-well get a Mobile Phone because if your pumping that much in to a land line per month that same amount is guaranteed to get you free Text Messages + Calls on a Mobile Service Plan. So in the end you'll get better value especially if you already have a Mobile phone which practically everyone does. The only bad thing is that other people you know may not want to call your mobile due to cost but you can always say 'I'll call you back' as soon as they ring you, thats what I do.

This article is pathetic it doesn't make clear how much you are actually being taxed. They make it sound like you'll be charged ?6 per month. This is false. The tax is 50 pence per month. And 50 pence I have no problem with that if it helps the internet industry in the UK grow 50 pence a month is fine by me. ?6 a year is nothing.

Or people in this thread as usual on a messageboard don't know how to actually read past a headline...

The roll out of broadband is for "90%" of the country by 2017. I'm shocked by thisto be honest I don't mind payin?6 a year/u> if it means a school in some remote part of Wales gets broadband but 10% of the country/b> ? obviously the areas that are difficult to reach with broadband ? still will not have internet. So what exactly are we paying this tax for?

Actually I did read the page Audio Boxer and I read that exact sentence you put in bold before I made my comment here. But again as I said in my post there post makes it sound like you'd be paying ?6 a month. And that comment you quoted makes it sound like they are saying 'I'd much rather pay ?6 a year, I'd be happy to pay that' instead of 6 a month. Which is what the article makes it sound like.

But nice one jumping to conclusions as usual(Y)Y)

I can't believe people are happy to pay this tax. Its because of the gov that sold off the network to a private company to maintain 20 years ago. Who in turn went..profit profit profit!! and didn't upgrade...thanks Mrs Thatcher!!! 20 years later and he public now have to pay up!!!!!!

Even though its only 50ppm I would still maon and complain at 1ppm!

Great idea FloatingFatMan. Consider this if you pay ?11 in Line Rental you might as-well get a Mobile Phone because if your pumping that much in to a land line per month that same amount is guaranteed to get you free Text Messages + Calls on a Mobile Service Plan. So in the end you'll get better value especially if you already have a Mobile phone which practically everyone does. The only bad thing is that other people you know may not want to call your mobile due to cost but you can always say 'I'll call you back' as soon as they ring you, thats what I do.

Apart from the fact you need a ?11 phone line for ADSL2+ Services?

If people really object to this, then do what I did yesterday. Phone your landline phone provider and terminate your contract. I can't remember the last time I used mine anyway, I use my mobile for everything.

My phone line is not by BT, its by Virgin Media.. why should I pay to upgrade another company's infrastructure?

And if I cancel I have to pay extra for the other services....

Apart from the fact you need a ?11 phone line for ADSL2+ Services?

My internet is 50mbit cable through Virgin Media. I couldn't care less about crappy slow ADSL2+.;))

My internet is 50mbit cable through Virgin Media. I couldn't care less about crappy slow ADSL2+. ;)

lucky you!

im paying ?15 line rental, another ?15 for the broadband!:(:( and its talktalk 40gb a month!....used to have BT but that was ?30 JUST FOR THE BROADBAND!

and i'm in london!

i can't wait for the mobile companies to roll out proper broadband! then i can ditch the dam BT line, its not like anybody uses it!

Right, and how are you supposed to get broadband then?

Afaik the only ISP who you can do that with is Virgin Media, but it actually works out cheaper to have the landline with them. Unless you count mobile broadband solutions, which aren't good enough for the most part.

I'm on 20Mb Virgin Internet, soon to be 50Mb. I'm not on BT's cables at all.

Even then, your still paying line rental to Virgin Media. Or your paying more the broadband. I was looking into the costs in September for the student house im living in. TV, Broadband (20Mbps) and Phone Rental (all from Virgin Media) came to ?31 a month, wheras to just have the broadband came to ?32 a month. So it makes no sense to cancel the Line rental.

Yay, BT spent 15 of the last 20 years trying to push everyone onto pay-per-minute dial up and refused to invest in infrastructure upgrades because of the typical British mentality of accountants not seeing investment as being a sound way to run a business. Instead we exploit and double underwrite everything we already have because having to spend ?1bn to make ?10bn over 10 years doesn't make short-term sense when we can make ?10.1bn over 10 years using the current market offering and not spend that ?1bn.

BT, like most British manufacturing (Marconi, BAE, car makers etc) did this, got to year 11 having made ?10.1bn and found that they had nothing in place to offer a world class, competitive service. So having been forced to abandon and relent on the dial-up plans, having been forced to LLU by the EU and having been forced to open up exchanges they're on the back foot.

Step in the Labour government who took pity on BT and offered to pay BT to upgrade their infrastructure which they didn't invest in and we have a "broadband tax".

Net result: BT made ?10.1bn and doesn't have to spend anything on service improvement because you and I will do it for them. This is good for shareholders and even better for accountants.

What can we learn from this?

If you don't invest in your business, but can make it a political issue you don't have to invest - so why even think about investing in the first place!

Or if you want a catchy, memorable sound bite to remember this lesson by when you're not investing in your own business; it's called:

PPP

Even then, your still paying line rental to Virgin Media. Or your paying more the broadband. I was looking into the costs in September for the student house im living in. TV, Broadband (20Mbps) and Phone Rental (all from Virgin Media) came to ?31 a month, wheras to just have the broadband came to ?32 a month. So it makes no sense to cancel the Line rental.

Maybe you've not looked lately. 20Mb internet with Phone Line ?20. 20Mb without Phone Line ?25 for first 3 months then ?30.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246

Line Rental costs ?11.

Instead we exploit and double underwrite everything we already have because having to spend ?1bn to make ?10bn over 10 years doesn't make short-term sense when we can make ?10.1bn over 10 years using the current market offering and not spend that ?1bn.

Substitute the ? for the $ and you have the U.S. It's all about how much they can make right now and the long term be damned.

Maybe you've not looked lately. 20Mb internet with Phone Line ?20. 20Mb without Phone Line ?25.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246

Line Rental costs ?11.

Actually, if you look at it, its only ?25 for the first couple of months.

So it really works out at ?31 a month for TV, Broadband and Phone. Against ?30 for just broadband.

Even if you don't want the phoneline, surely the TV is worth ?1 a month? (personally I'd like to keep a landline anyway, as some numbers are so much cheaper to call than from a mobile).

:@ I hate BT, thier service sucks and I dont even use them, I already pay for thier crappy line rental which cuts off every hour if using the internet

:@ I hate BT, thier service sucks and I dont even use them, I already pay for thier crappy line rental which cuts off every hour if using the internet

Are you using filters on all your sockets?

Unless you're with Virgin media, I hate to tell you, but you're using their infrastructure. Whoever you are proxy-billed through is renting access to it from BT.

TV packages also increases if you don't take phone line ...

I don't have Virgin TV. I have Sky instead.

Actually, if you look at it, its only ?25 for the first couple of months.

So it really works out at ?31 a month for TV, Broadband and Phone. Against ?30 for just broadband.

Even if you don't want the phoneline, surely the TV is worth ?1 a month? (personally I'd like to keep a landline anyway, as some numbers are so much cheaper to call than from a mobile).

I corrected my post a minute later with the ?30 but its still ?1 cheaper than having the Line Rental and thats before you add a calling package. This is also before the 50p tax is added on. So it will eventually be ?1.50 extra per month.

And I don't think the TV is worth ?1 I had their TV Service before and the boxes that they ship are not very good I found them frustrating and returned it, I went back to Sky at great expense as VM's installers cut the Sky cables to the dish and re-used it for their services against my wishes.

50p/month for faster internet, new & more stable equipment around the country, better trained engineers and 90% of the country getting connected.

Yep ok!