OMG the government is taxing something that companies have been charging for years already, its the companies that supply the Internetz that are supposed to continually upgrade the infrastructure.

Another BS tax :/

I'd rather stick with the speed of the Internet connection I currently have than have more of my hard-earned money taken away from me! I'm sure many would agree with my viewpoint. We're not all rich! :angry:

I would pay $6 a year for 2mb/sec interwebs. Im on cable and all we get here in Australia is 1mb/sec at most. That is CABLE internet!

I just spent more on a cup of coffee and a sandwhich... /overit

Its not the cost of the tax, its the principle that we the public have to pay to help a private company do its job!

TBH if i actually thought this would make a real 'positive' difference in terms of giving more people access or increasing internet speed, i'd be more than happy to pay ?6 a month, rather than the ?6 a year suggested.

The problem is don't, i expect the money will be given to company's like BT, who'll waste half, and pay the rest in increased wages without putting any significant effort in to really upgrading of future proofing the network. I'm not a fan of virgin but as far as i can tell, they are the only company in the UK even attempting to put in a proper internet infrastructure.

Still moaning aside, there's always the small possibility it will be used well, and there will be noticeable improvement in which case ?6 a year is well worth it, although i really think they should be aiming for the 100% mark in terms of connectively rather than 90%. Especially considering so many things are internet only these days (uni applications for one - i don't think they even have the paper based forms as an alternative any more.)

My internet is 50mbit cable through Virgin Media. I couldn't care less about crappy slow ADSL2+. ;)

I have a faster upload than you which is what I require or i'd be on Virgins 50Mbit

Also excluding the fact that VMs customer service are horrible script monkeys (last time it was Indian call center)

Plus you pay ?28 a month and ?11 a month extra for phone line..

I pay ?11 a month for phone line and ?15 for 24Mbit/2.5Mbit upload - just a tad chea:pr :p

24/7 Freephone call center with good support

I have a faster upload than you which is what I require or i'd be on Virgins 50Mbit

Also excluding the fact that VMs customer service are horrible script monkeys (last time it was Indian call center)

I pay ?11 a month for phone line and ?15 for 24Mbit/2.5Mbit upload - just a tad chea:pr :p

I've never had to call their customer service centre, so couldn't care less if they were in Cardiff or Katman:rofl:ofl:

Actually, I pay ?38 a month, as I don't take their TV service or their phone service. Just internet.

My phone service WAS with BT until I cancelled it. And I use Sky for TV. No plans to take their TV service as they don't offer channels I want plus, last time I heard, taking the TV service has a bad habit of slowing down your internet.

Also, best ADSL speed I can get around here is 2mbit at the most. Damned useless crappy lines.

Not everyone can get that speed on ADSL though. Cable is the only choice.

Also, looks like the tax will be paid if you take the phone line or not.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/11/broadband_tax/