Can you give me 5 solid reasons to upgrade form XP to 7?

Here are my four reasons.. A lot of the features in win 7 are probably inspired by Apple, but i really don't give a crap, as long as it's not worse than it used to be. So here it is:

0. Search. Search is a big thing, I never realized that until I started using Vista, and 7 perfected vista's search. Instead of click start>all programs>something>something.exe or start>control panel>some settings, the entire system is just start>type keyword away. if you want to find, say, iTunes, just press the Win button then type iTunes then click enter, iTunes will launch. Win7 combined the good o' "Run" with "search", you can also go WinButton>cmd or WinButton>IIS to use it like a "run" box.

1. Usability, this is probably hard for you to realize until you switched to Win7 for while. I use Server 2003 at work and Win7 at home, and I must say it makes THAT much difference. I love being able to re-arrange windows, group windows and have sneak peaks (aero peak). gadget is actually as opposed to the sidebar idea in Vista.

2. XP Mode for maximum compatibility, if you have some old school softwares that can't run on, XP mode for you. XP mode pretty much gives your Win7 everything XP has other than speed. I also use XP mode, but not for compatibility reasons. I use it as a safe-box to run potentially dangerous stuff *cough* :shiftyninja:

3. Personal Folder and Backup, This is probably the one thing that will never make me wanna switch back to pre-vista systems. My personal files are mainly in these categories: Work related Documents, School Stuff, Music, Pictures and some random stuff. and Win7 has a folder for each one of them, and you can create your own folders like me, I created a School folder and a Work folder putting all my schoool document and work documents. and here is the best part: you can set up offsite back up, it backs up your files every week, when you need to reinstall/upgrade computer, you don't need to manually move all personal files, you can simply click "restore" and it will restore all your file. You can also use it to retrieve accidentally deleted files..

</rambling>

all you need is one, It's the new XP

True :) I can already see Borimol posting in 3 years or so asking for 5 solid reasons to upgrade from his perfectly stable win7 to 8. :p

Why not to upgrade,

-> Being newer W7 uses more RAM than XP, thus giving less RAM for programs

-> Non-aero interface looks bad, some might disagree though

-> W7 is designed for higher resolutions than XP

-> Task Manager is now CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

-> Not a lot of tweaks as of yet

-> W7 uses more space than XP

-> Enabling Administrator Account and Disabling Hibernate Requires Work

-> Scrolling might lag on power saving modes (CPU clock speed too low)

-> It is not faster than XP, it just loads things into RAM to feel faster than XP

-> Search is slower, more frustrating, if you use XP Classic Search - you will miss it madly

-> VMR9 + WMPC + DXVA + Subs = No Jitter / Offset, EVER + WMPC+ DXVA + Subs= Jitter / Offset

-> WMPC loads faster on XP

-> I noticed more bugs with W7 than XP SP3

-> You may experience problems with WU and System Restore without actually touching them.

-> Explorer less responsive on W7

Reason To Upgrade,

-> WIKEY + P - Toggle Projector on off / dual screen - Awesome

-> Start Menu Search / Run - Yes, it is a Search/Run Hybrid

-> New interface might be a plus

-> Connecting to Networks is easier

-> Automatic Updates / Automatic Driver Installs are much easier

-> It is meant to run faster on really powerful new setups, than XP

-> For being much more loaded than XP, it boots rather quickly

-> Revamped Administrator Tools, Group Policy Editor is a BIG PLUS (gpedit is not part of Home Edition)

-> Better MSCONFIG

-> Slideshow, if you don't mind your CPU spiking for a 1/10 of a second every 10 seconds

-> Search allows more things

-> Libraries are actually useful

-> Winkey UP/DOWN/LEFT will make your life a lot easier

-> I heard that DXVA + EVR allows more videos via DXVA than EVR, not sure what this applies to. But I can run flawless 1080p + 16 reference frames

-> It is more power efficient, especially if you force it to be.

-> WMP does not suck.

-> More thumbnails for things. Still no MKVs though.

-> Superfetch compensates for W7 being slower, somewhat

-> The non-scrolly part of the interface is GPU accelerated, woo.

-> Newer Paint, Media Player, Chess, etc.

-> Bigger Thumbnails and Quality Organizational Features.

-> Applications, in a few years, will stop supporting XP.

-> Windows defender and other security features are pretty cool

-> Ehh, I ran out.

EDIT: Another One: You will be in touch with modern technology.

But does it run better than XP? That is essentially what the OP is asking, if it would be better than XP, not Vista, of course its going to be better than Vista.

Honestly I have never ran a system with only meeting any of the minimum requirements, but I know running anything like games on minimum requirement hardware will give you horrid performance (barely playable at low settings) so I just assumed it would be similar to Windows 7.

Does Vista have better features than XP? Undeniably, yes.

Does Win7 have better features than Vista? Undeniably, yes.

Does this mean either will definitively run better than XP? Undeniably, no. It all depends on the hardware and the manufacturer's driver support.

Vista's recommended system requirements is 1 GB... recommended is far different than minimum.

It depends on what you do with it. I game a lot and personally would never run 7 on a computer with only 1GB of ram. I was unhappy running games on Vista with 2 GB of ram and Vista had the same ram requirement than 7, couldn't imagine trying to game on 7 with only 1GB of ram, most modern games alone use more than that.

For simple web browser or light document work, than yes I am sure 7 does run fine on 1GB.

Categorically saying the gaming experience on a machine sub 2GB of RAM with Vista will be terrible is completely inaccurate.

You're not considering what the game requires and where the bottleneck is...

Windows 7 is okay on 1GB RAM, whereas I wouldn't install Vista on anything less than 2GB.

I am using XP since 2006.

You only started using XP when it was already 5 years old. Unless that's when you bought your first computer, I have a feeling you don't want to be convinced into using a newer OS.

That said, if you have to pay for 7, get it only if there is something you want to do that XP can't. If you can get 7 for free (I got it through MSDNAA, check if you have access to something like that), just go for it.

Regarding RAM, I'm running it in a Sony Vaio with a Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz processor and only 1GB RAM, and 7 behaves like XP did.

- Better memory management than XP

- Better multicore support

and add in all the other things people have said, it's just flat out better than XP in every way.

Does Vista have better features than XP? Undeniably, yes.

Does Win7 have better features than Vista? Undeniably, yes.

Does this mean either will definitively run better than XP? Undeniably, no. It all depends on the hardware and the manufacturer's driver support.

Your missing the point, you compared Windows 7 to Windows Vista, the OP was wondering how 7 compared to XP. Saying Windows 7 is slightly better than Vista on your system does little to answer the question of why he should switch from XP to 7.
Vista's recommended system requirements is 1 GB... recommended is far different than minimum.

My bad, I did a google search for "Vista requirements", went to the first link and used the first value I saw, which is indeed recommended. Vistas minimum is 512MB, half of Windows 7.

Categorically saying the gaming experience on a machine sub 2GB of RAM with Vista will be terrible is completely inaccurate.

You're not considering what the game requires and where the bottleneck is...

True, but when I talk about gaming I'm talking about semi-modern games or, games that were released around the time that I had 2GB of ram. At the time I had a Q6700 with SLI 7800GTXs. The only bottleneck in my particular system was ram. Also, the issues were not playing the game, it was mostly exiting the game or multi-tasking while the game was running. For example, on 2GB of ram it took about 30 seconds from quitting BF2, to getting back to a usable desktop. On 4GB, this same action took maybe 5 seconds max, because things did not have to be reloaded from my pagefile back into my ram. Now, BF2 itself only has a ram requirement of 512MB, which is why the game ran fine while playing, the problem was exiting took exponentially longer until I had enough ram to comfortably run Vista and BF2 without needing to offload stuff to the pagefile.

So yes, you are right that its hard to make a generalization like I did, but in my experience, even semi-modern games released even before Vista, caused Vista to struggle a bit when I had 2GB of ram. The second I doubled my ram, I had much better exit and multi-tasking performance in Vista.

Therefore in my experience, I would not be willing to run Vista on a system with only 2GB of ram, I would much rather run XP on a machine with 2GB of ram (or, in this case, 7) and get better performance than Vista (in general) despite 7s higher requirement.

Even though I have a old computer P4 2.0ghz, 1 gig ram. It's my video card that's holding me back. I've tried Vista on this very setup and it ran pretty good(even with native drivers) . Windows 7 wants me to buy a new video card and I flat out refuse. It's a 9800 pro and works great for what I do. Otherwise, I might consider it but as it stands. I don't think I'm really missing alot.

I am using XP since 2006. I tried Vista during 3 months and I didn't have a good experience (maybe because my computer only has 1Gb RAM). Today I would like to use Windows 7 but I don't find any solid reason to upgrade. Aero, jump lists or WMP 12 are only cosmetic changes so, can you give me 5 solid reasons to upgrade form XP to 7?

I'd say don't upgrade

If you need to be convinced to upgrade an ancient piece of software in a forum where all the reasons have already been discussed than it seems to me this is morel like flame bait than anything else

I have been using XP from 2001 to 2006, Vista from 2006 to 2008 and Windows 7 (beta and final) from 2008 up till now. I prefer Vista over XP but have been very positively surprised by Windows 7.

My advice: download the Release Candidate, you have until March 2010 to test it!

here are my reasons:

1. faster (but will need 2GB or RAM min to get best experiance)

2. stable

3. virtual win xp mode (pro and ultimate only)

4. aero glass - so much nicer than win xp with the ability to hover over the task bar and see what you have open vs alt tabbing or clicking on different windows

5. the drag up to maximize, the drag over to have the window halfed (can see or compare two docs real easy by dragging to either side of the desktop

6. the uac isn't as annoying as vista (at least not to me)

7. even internet explorer seems to move faster if you are an ie user (and provided you didn't load it up with toolbars).

Well one persons reasons may differ from another.

But anyways, XP has always been my favorite OS, staple, quick, just works great period.

But, XP although very old, is not very flashy either, so decided to give Win 7 a shot.

Totally bypassing Vista, cuz Ive been on so many peoples computers with Vista, and it drove me absolutyly nuts, just an awful OS period.

Anyways, as far as I can describe Win 7 compared to XP is that it looks better, with better features, cuz it runs just the same, uses so little resources, very stable, and super fast.

On my little Acer netbook, I have XP and Win 7 dual boot, just in case Win 7 wasn't what I expected, but running so awsome, super fast even with the low end graphics, 1 gig ram, etc. etc. I find it to just fly and thats with full aero enabled, therefor havent bothered even goin back to XP.

I am using XP since 2006. I tried Vista during 3 months and I didn't have a good experience (maybe because my computer only has 1Gb RAM). Today I would like to use Windows 7 but I don't find any solid reason to upgrade. Aero, jump lists or WMP 12 are only cosmetic changes so, can you give me 5 solid reasons to upgrade form XP to 7?

Stick with XP. If you want to upgrade you don't need convincing reasons.

Faster? More than XP? If 7 is like Vista (in performance) we have a problem...

And why XP is not secure? XP SP3 + all windows uptade patches makes an old and insecure OS?

I agree. Searching in Vista-7 is great.

If you use ffdshow codecs on XP you can play almost any video...

Why?

9 years have made a solid OS.

I don't think 7 is more simple than XP, for example let's see how many services load in 7 (and Vista)...

This post of yours (OP) make me think that OP is a troll. The reply gave you valid reasons and you are arguing with petty reasons?

It's very clear that you will fight to the death for XP, so just stay with that.

If you are curious about 7, then give it a damn try. F*ck whatever everybody else thinks. Don't be a follower and take initiative for yourself.

Make a life lesson out of it even.

Faster? More than XP? If 7 is like Vista (in performance) we have a problem...

And why XP is not secure? XP SP3 + all windows uptade patches makes an old and insecure OS?

I agree. Searching in Vista-7 is great.

If you use ffdshow codecs on XP you can play almost any video...

Why?

9 years have made a solid OS.

I don't think 7 is more simple than XP, for example let's see how many services load in 7 (and Vista)...

Xp SP3 + all updates dont necessarly mean they are more secure than win 7. Its the design architecture which windows 7 has which makes it more secure.

Microsoft has release windows Xp and vista patches for two months for fixing security issues but was not released for Win 7 because it was secure and those were already fixed.

Playing all format out of box is better than installing something to make it work.

It took 9 years to make Xp solid but windows is 7 is almost solid out of box. Its new and we cannot expect it to be better. I am sure it becomes rock solid in just 6 months.

Have you ever tried switching display in XP Its a real pain. I work in a corporate and i know its a pain when i try to switch the laptop display to the projector.

It would take half hour to get it working but sometime it works in just 5 min. I have tried the same with windows 7 they have done a huge improvement in that switching is simple. windows 7 automatically identifies the display and switches it. It also gives you an option to configure it based on your needs.

The same applies to sound never worked with ease in XP but its easy in win 7. the reason behind is they rewrote the logic behind the switch which makes identification and switch easier.