Tiger Woods to take 'indefinite leave' from golf

He might as well, his career is over. No sponsor is going to want to touch him now.

No, what is unreasonable is that people like you are somehow arrogant enough to assume that someone's private life, regardless of how famous they are, is actually any of their business.

He's a celebrity. When you become a celebrity you kiss your private life goodbye, simple as that.

Edited by Saburac

I agree. What the media has done to Tiger is just wrong. They are little better than the National Enquirer, running around spreading rumors on who is sleeping with who. This is between Tiger and his wife, not between Tiger and the world. The only people that are interested in this are perverts.

Well said. I completely agree... up until now. Once he's left golf (which, he should have, if only as a giant **** you to the media), it now affects the PGA, sports media, the sponsors, other golfers, etc. If he would have pulled a Kobe and played through it (as best he can), it remains a private issue.

But TMZ is a huge cancer.

He might as well, his career is over. No sponsor is going to want to touch him now.

He's a celebrity. When you become a celebrity you kiss your private life goodbye, simple as that.

How much do you know about Tom Hanks private life? Denzel Washington? George Clooney? How about golfers ranked 2 - 102? LeBrone James? Did Michael Jordan get this attention when he got divorced?

The only people who should get any attention for something like this are public servants, and even then I really don't care unless it affects the people they serve.

really, how many sponsors have dropped him so far? hes the most popular guy right now, imagine how much money he's making off this.

really, how many sponsors have dropped him so far? hes the most popular guy right now, imagine how much money he's making off this.

Gilette have distanced themselves today so that's a big one

amazing really all 3 of the big stars of Gilette campaign have not had a great year

Federer - not that big of a force as previous years

Henry - the hand of le god :p

Woods - well no explaining that!

That isn't a right of the public though, it is only through intrusion, and its not like the fact that he is a celebrity means the public automatically have a right to know all of his dirty little secrets. I am not disputing the nature of being a celerity, I am just saying that I think they sometimes get treated rather crappily, they entertain people and give them a lot of pleasure and enjoyment, yet when they screw up, everyone is only too eager to destroy them, almost as if the indiscretions of the rich and famous make everyone else feel better about their own screwups.

Gilette have distanced themselves today so that's a big one

amazing really all 3 of the big stars of Gilette campaign have not had a great year

Federer - not that big of a force as previous years

Henry - the hand of le god :p

Woods - well no explaining that!

They still got Jeter.

And can't they make some sort of campaign about how he got so much ass because his shave was so close, women had to touch him? Can't we build on this?

They still got Jeter.

And can't they make some sort of campaign about how he got so much ass because his shave was so close, women had to touch him? Can't we build on this?

oh never seen Jeter over here in UK

all they show is Federer,Henry and Woods

That isn't a right of the public though, it is only through intrusion, and its not like the fact that he is a celebrity means the public automatically have a right to know all of his dirty little secrets. I am not disputing the nature of being a celerity, I am just saying that I think they sometimes get treated rather crappily, they entertain people and give them a lot of pleasure and enjoyment, yet when they screw up, everyone is only too eager to destroy them, almost as if the indiscretions of the rich and famous make everyone else feel better about their own screwups.

Part of the problem is so many "celebrities" get famous by revealing everything about themselves. Kim Kardashian? Got famous from a crappy sex video with a b-list R&B singer. Paris Hilton? Lindsay Lohan? Couple of talentless hacks getting on by force from TMZ and posing for paparazzi with "oops, forgot mah pantieeees" faces. John & Kate? 'nuf sed. The only people appearing regularly on US Weekly with any measure of talent is Brangelina.

Hell, look at the mistresss that basically ****ed everything up for Tiger and is spilling all this ****, the party girl from Vegas. Basically a reality star wannabe.

People think that because these douchewads put everything out there since that's the only way they stay relevant, that everyone has to (really, have you heard anything from Paris in, say, the last year or so?). What did we know about Tiger before this? Bill Simmons has a two-page article on ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/091211

For years, nobody had an interesting take on him other than, "Wow, that guy's great." I even wrote an entire column in 2002 titled, "Tiger: What Can You Say?" He designed it that way, avoiding the media other than generic news conferences and cream-puff interviews designed to promote himself or a product. (Like this "10 minutes with Tiger" piece I wrote in 2006.) We knew little about his personal life beyond "married a Swedish nanny, lives in Orlando, has two kids." Not since DiMaggio had an athlete managed to stay this famous and this private at the same time. Hell, he named his yacht "Privacy." He relished it.

Like I said before, the only reason this should/could be news now, is that it's affecting other people in the form of the Tour (50% drop in rating when he doesn't play), his sponsors (now who do they get that comes close to the image he had?), etc.

oh never seen Jeter over here in UK

all they show is Federer,Henry and Woods

Ah. I think they substitute Jeter for Henry here in the States, since soccer carries no weight here, and same for baseball over there.

Part of the problem is so many "celebrities" get famous by revealing everything about themselves. Kim Kardashian? Got famous from a crappy sex video with a b-list R&B singer. Paris Hilton? Lindsay Lohan? Couple of talentless hacks getting on by force from TMZ and posing for paparazzi with "oops, forgot mah pantieeees" faces. John & Kate? 'nuf sed. The only people appearing regularly on US Weekly with any measure of talent is Brangelina.

The fact that those kind of people can become famous shines a bad light on the public, all I know is I would want to earn my fame for doing something worthwhile, regardless the fact that some people deliberately act like idiots to become famous doesn't mean that people who actually don't want the attention should be tarred with the same brush.

Hell, look at the mistresss that basically ****ed everything up for Tiger and is spilling all this ****, the party girl from Vegas. Basically a reality star wannabe.

People think that because these douchewads put everything out there since that's the only way they stay relevant, that everyone has to (really, have you heard anything from Paris in, say, the last year or so?). What did we know about Tiger before this? Bill Simmons has a two-page article on ESPN.com.

You're right. All that stuff is just trash and yet those who have no life just love to live their lives through the stars, and it's easy "news" for the media. Personally I think Paris and Kim and Lindsay are a waste of good air.

6 months or a year from now, he will be right back playing the sport again, and likely winning. And the sponsors? Of course they'll come back to him, it would be bad business not to. Smart move to dip below the radar for a while. Sure, he will come back, and the media will occasionally hint at it, but that's about all.

It was said the the pga would have basically told him to leave if he didnt do it himself. Him takinga break is much better because he w is not getting thrown out of the PGA. They would have thrown him out due to something like unsportsman like conduct or something like that.

Tiger Woods had no choice. He had to do this so that he could possibly come back later.

Hahaha, yeah right. If they did that there wouldn't be any players on the tour.

Pete

6 months or a year from now, he will be right back playing the sport again, and likely winning. And the sponsors? Of course they'll come back to him, it would be bad business not to. Smart move to dip below the radar for a while. Sure, he will come back, and the media will occasionally hint at it, but that's about all.

I think you might be right, as long as he's winning. If he doesn't win things may be a different story.

Accenture ends Tiger Woods sponsorship deal

The giant management consultancy firm Accenture has ended its sponsorship of Tiger Woods, saying the golfer is "no longer the right representative".

Woods has been engulfed in a media storm since a disturbance outside his house two weeks ago. He has since admitted being unfaithful to his wife.

Woods is taking an indefinite break from golf to try to save his marriage.

Accenture is the second sponsor to react to the news. Gillette has already said it would cut back Woods' role.

"For the past six years, Accenture and Tiger Woods have had a very successful sponsorship arrangement and his achievements on the golf course have been a powerful metaphor for business success in Accenture's advertising," the company said in a statement.

"However, given the circumstances of the last two weeks, after careful consideration and analysis, the company has determined that he is no longer the right representative for its advertising.

Accenture said that "it wishes only the best for Tiger Woods and his family".

Among his other sponsors, the US phone firm AT&T has said it is "presently evaluating our ongoing relationship" with Woods, but his main sponsor Nike said it was standing firm and offered him its "full support".

Until scandal broke, Woods was one of the biggest targets for global corporations. Links with an array of brands - also including Electronic Arts video games, Gatorade drinks, and Tag Heuer watches - have helped him amass a fortune.

The Associated Press says he is believed to be the first sports star to have earned $1bn (?600m).

Woods, 33, is considered one of the best golfers of all time and was thought by many experts to be likely to overhaul Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major championship victories.

He has won 14 so far, but BBC golf commentator Peter Alliss believes it is possible he will not play again.

"He's going to have to put up with a lot of nonsense and ridicule and comment for the next 20 to 30 years and it depends how well he tackles that," he said.

"He's in a very, nasty awkward position of his own making, I'm afraid.

"You have to wonder about all sorts of things that we're not privy to - his state of mind, whether he wants to continue, whether he's thinking of early retirement."

The storm blew up after Woods crashed his car into a fire hydrant and a tree outside his Florida home at the end of November.

Rumours of an argument in the Woods household led to media allegations about extra-marital affairs. Lurid headlines have linked him to a string of women.

On Friday, Woods admitted for the first time that he had been unfaithful to his wife Elin.

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children," said Woods in a statement.

Lol! No doubt. Girls are falling all over these golfers!

Seeing as I need a girlfriend, maybe I should take golf up :rofl:

Seriously though, Tiger's going to lose a buttload of money, and potentially his family over this. Really sad to see one of sport's genuine greats fall from grace because he couldn't keep it in his zipper.

Seeing as I need a girlfriend, maybe I should take golf up :rofl:

Seriously though, Tiger's going to lose a buttload of money, and potentially his family over this. Really sad to see one of sport's genuine greats fall from grace because he couldn't keep it in his zipper.

Yeah it is really sad :(

Woods, 33, is considered one of the best golfers of all time and was thought by many experts to be likely to overhaul Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major championship victories.

He has won 14 so far, but BBC golf commentator Peter Alliss believes it is possible he will not play again.

That would really be a shame.

Tag Heuer 'to drop Tiger Woods from US ads'

Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer is to drop golfer Tiger Woods's image from its US advertising campaigns for the foreseeable future, a Swiss paper says.

The company acted following "recent events" surrounding the sportsman, chief executive Jean-Christophe Babin told the Swiss daily Le Matin.

Woods has been engulfed in a media storm since a disturbance outside his house three weeks ago.

He has since admitted being unfaithful to his wife.

Tag Heuer is the third sponsor to react to the news.

Management consultancy firm Accenture and shaving products giant Gillette have already said they will cut back Woods's role.

"We recognise Tiger Woods as a great sportsman but we have to take account of the sensitivity of some consumers in relation to recent events," the newspaper's website quoted Mr Babin as saying.

Le Matin said Tag Heuer would continue to support Woods's charitable foundation but would use other well known figures to advertise its brand in the US, such as actor Leonardo Di Caprio.

Nike, Woods's biggest sponsor, has said it will stick with the golfer.

Woods is currently on an indefinite break from golf to try to repair the damage to his family life.

Jeez you media are acting like paparazzis...

The man is into Sex and has many female partners, good for him.

The man is a married man, looked up by many people well I guess we all know everybody has something to hide doesn't matter it's a celebrity or a regular joe.

He is NO angel/Jesus so people think he must be 100% moral?

I guess Tiger Woods is a good lookin gentleman so him with all these hot woman does not bother me so much as an ugly thug treating woman like sluts get these babes instead.

I wish media STOP talking about him, and give the man some privacy and I know his wife is hot and she is hurt (I sympathize) but really none of this is our business and the media need to stop acting like Paparazzis!

I don't care about his news... Talk about Avatar, Lost or something else actually entertaining instead. *SIGH*

Edited by JediXAngel

I don't care about his news... Talk about Avatar, Lost or something else actually entertaining instead. *SIGH*

So why aren't you in the Avatar thread instead of here? :)

Anyhow, "celebrity" or not, the media harps on this because there's money in it. If people found out their neighbor

was having an affair they'd be just as interested. People like to talk crap about other people and feel superior.

The ONLY difference is that Tiger Woods has more "neighbors" than they guy you live next door to.