SL Quick Look not ICC Compliant?

So colour profiling has been a major hassle of mine as of late. Far too long have I dealt with inconsistent colour changes between applications/browsers/image editors so I've finally took a stance to do something about it, especially when it concerns to quality of output when I'm printing my images.

My workflow consists of importing my 5D Mk II Files into Lightroom, editing them in the ProPhoto RGB colour profile and exporting to Photoshop CS4 for higher level editing. Photoshop CS4 is set up with the ProPhoto RGB, Working RGB Profile and colour consistency is a go!

My issue, at this juncture is having the ability to export the colour corrected images to the web and having the colours display correctly. I'm aware that ProPhoto RGB is a massive colour gamut and 98% of monitors won't even display Adobe RGB 1998 fully, let alone ProPhoto. But my issue isn't that... As when I save for web I don't convert to sRGB, instead I embed the Working RGB Profile, which is wonderful as Safari and Firefox read that and render the colours how they should look (If you've got a calibrated monitor, too).

Although I'm confused as to why SL's Quick Look won't read the ICC Profile and display the image correctly when I preview it...

issue.jpg

The left is the colour corrected version, the right is the SL's Quick Look version with a stripped ICC Profile.

Is this a known issue/limitation? Preview does the correct thing, but Quick Look doesn't.

Thanks guys!

Well, I've opened a can of worms here.

Firefox isn't ICC4 compliant, so regardless of my workflow, Firefox won't display the image correctly, Internet Explorer and Chrome don't even bother checking for an ICC Profile. The only browser worthy is Safari which supports up to ICC4.

Sigh.

But my issue isn't that... As when I save for web I don't convert to sRGB, instead I embed the Working RGB Profile

You shouldn't do this, as you stated, that the majority of users don't use a browser than can color manage.

Your QL issue is odd though as it's definitely ColorSync managed. Try and create a new monitor profile. Check ColorSync utility if the profile is set as default.

Screen%20shot%202009-12-12%20at%208.40.02%20PM.png

Firefox 3 did have ICC4 support at some point. But it has been dropped since 3.5. Here's why: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=488800

Yeah, it got dropped when they re-wrote the ICM library (LittleCMS to QCMS), the rewrite is just doing the absolute base that they need.

Eventually it'll get v4 support again, and CMYK support, but in the mean time it's best to convert the images to sRGB first (then strip the colour profile information, since my default Safari and Firefox correct images but not CSS/HTML colours)

You shouldn't do this, as you stated, that the majority of users don't use a browser than can color manage.

Your QL issue is odd though as it's definitely ColorSync managed. Try and create a new monitor profile. Check ColorSync utility if the profile is set as default.

Screen%20shot%202009-12-12%20at%208.40.02%20PM.png

It's more-so odd because I'd only just fresh installed and profiled this monitor a couple of days ago so I haven't done anything system wide that should've buggered anything up... I'll have a look when I'm back and hooked up to my monitor again.

I'm really annoyed that there's no more ICC4 support in FF 3.5, I mean, it's causing images to have the same colour shift as happens with SL's Quick Look and it's absolutely paramount to get some cross-browser consistency, why can't there be a simple overseeing compliancy with them all.

It's aggravating.

Yeah, it got dropped when they re-wrote the ICM library (LittleCMS to QCMS), the rewrite is just doing the absolute base that they need.

Eventually it'll get v4 support again, and CMYK support, but in the mean time it's best to convert the images to sRGB first (then strip the colour profile information, since my default Safari and Firefox correct images but not CSS/HTML colours)

The issue is that I'm converting to sRGB using the ICC-4 profile. My monitor wasn't profiled at ICC-2. So Firefox still over saturates the images.

Try moving com.apple.Finder.plist and any third party Quick Look plugins to a separate folder and then relaunch Finder.

Also, enter the following in a terminal window: qlmanage -r

When I say fresh installed, I mean a fresh install of Snow Leopard. There's nothing third party installed at the moment. I'll do as you suggested though, see if it fixes anything!