features you disabled in Windows 7 and why?

I've disabled:

Hibernation - To save space on SSD.

Restore Points - To save space on SSD (I do weekly backups instead).

Minimize/Maximize Animations - Makes Windows 7 feel faster.

Boot animation - Saves a couple seconds for Windows 7 to boot up.

Automatically disabled by Windows due to SSD: Disk defrag, Superfetch

Oh my God! :laugh:

I also disabled these Shell Extensions,

Shell extensions for sharing

PlayTo

.contact shell context menu

.contact shell extension handler

.contact shell extension handler (there are two of them)

Microsoft XPS Shell Metadata Handler

.group shell context menu

.group extension handler

.group extension hanlder (again two of them)

Mail Service

Previous Version Property Page

Shell extensions for sharing

Microsoft Disk Quote UI

Bluewire General Property Sheet

Bluetooth Bluewire Shell property extension

Windows Firewall

Speech Recognition

HomeGroup Control Panel

Parental Controls

Sunc Center Folder

Action Center CPL

Getting Started

Ease of Access

Windows Search Service Media Center Namespace Extension Handler

Sticky Notes Namespace Extension for Windows Desktop Search

For &People...

Windows Live Sign-in Helper (this should have been removed with Windows Live! Bad Microsoft ! BAD!)

This mostly to clean up shell, remove useless things.

This did mess up something though - I get Security Tab First When Getting Properties of Something, instead of General Tab. Not sure how to fix.

It's a pretty major part of AAM. Without it, programs can not only trick you and ride elevations (which they can even with the SD), but they can also completely change the appearance of the prompt to say whatever they want. They could even make it look like a random non-UAC message.

I know, but the dimming messes with my eyes big time (eye problems), so it's either that or off.

Combined with the fact I've been using Windows since 3.1 and have had only a handful of malicious applications during that time I'm not the least big bothered.

I don't know if I've turned anything off persay, not even Windows Defender (I believe it gets activated as part of MSE anyway). I may have disabled Games, some accessibility features, and a signed driver check. If i don't need it, I don't use it, and it uses up 3 KB of my RAM. But if I do... well I'm glad it used 3 KB then.

If there are small things I can EASILY do to make it more comfortable for me, then why on earth shouldn't I? You argument makes absolutely no sense. I also turn labels back on for the taskbar, because I like it better that way. Why should I accept all the defaults?

I don't like using my PC the Microsoft thinks I should, either. Every new version gets less customizable and more 'noobified'.

Internet Explorer 8

Windows DVD Maker

Remote Differential Compression

Windows Gadget Platform

Some Other Things

WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

Windows Time

Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Windows Firewall

Windows Defender

UPnP Device Host

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Tablet PC Input Service

SSDP Discovery

Server

Security Center

Routing and Remote Access

Program Compatibility Assistant Service

Portable Device Enumerator Service

PNRP Machine Name Publication Service

Peer Networking Identity Manager

Peer Networking Grouping

Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service

Media Center Extender Service

IPsec Policity Agent

IP Helper

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keyrign Modules

HomeGroup Provider

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Function Discovery Provider Host

Distributed Link Tracking Clinet

Diagnostic Policy Service

Computer Browser

Base Filtering Engine

Application Experience

And a few 3rd party services

UAC

Aero Peek, Animations, Fade In / Out Effects

System Sounds, Beep

Swap

Tracking, Some Of It

Anything and everything related to bluetooth

I also deleted Windows Defender ( testing Unlocker ).

Some other things. System boot much faster now.

Sounds like you're hardly even running Windows at this point...

I'm honestly surprised Udedenkz's computer even runs with all the "tweaks" and crap he does (which really doesn't do him a damn bit of good to disable).

Seriously, some of that stuff should not be disabled.

Games

Internet Explorer 8 <-- I'd rather use IE in a VM if I really needed to use it.

Media Features

->Windows DVD Maker <-- I'd rather network stream

->Windows Media Center

->Windows Media Player <-- iTunes and Spotify

Tablet PC Components

Windows Gadget Platform

XPS Services

XPS Viewer

Why ? IE7/8 with UAC/protected mode on is pretty much the same, only without needing a VM or needign to boot up a VM. you seem to be living in the false impression IE is insecure or something.

Why ? IE7/8 with UAC/protected mode on is pretty much the same, only without needing a VM or needign to boot up a VM. you seem to be living in the false impression IE is insecure or something.

It isn't that close to being the same. Running in a VM, it's completely isolated behind a security barrier. Running in protected mode, it still has read access to the system, write access to global objects, and unrestricted access to the desktop so it can trick you into thinking you're clicking yes to a javascript error or something when you're really clicking yes to letting something nasty escape protected mode. You're also vulnerable to any potential bugs in the protected mode host.

There should be limits to paranoia, but still, not quite the same.

It isn't that close to being the same. Running in a VM, it's completely isolated behind a security barrier. Running in protected mode, it still has read access to the system, write access to global objects, and unrestricted access to the desktop so it can trick you into thinking you're clicking yes to a javascript error or something when you're really clicking yes to letting something nasty escape protected mode. You're also vulnerable to any potential bugs in the protected mode host.

There should be limits to paranoia, but still, not quite the same.

Pretty much because if you can run ie in a vm, you're damn well smart enough to be able to run IE without installing cyber security or any of those fake AV's.

In any case the idea is the same, and the does the same thing, only one uses about 1000 times the space, resource and is just plain silly.

Replaced superbar with classic start menu.

Replaced start menu with clasic start menu

stopped automatic updates

removed libraries

re-enabled quicklaunch.

removed folderband.

added toolbar buttons back.

I should go through my services list and disable some other things that sounds useless, like that XPS thing mentioned previously.

Pretty much because if you can run ie in a vm, you're damn well smart enough to be able to run IE without installing cyber security or any of those fake AV's.

In any case the idea is the same, and the does the same thing, only one uses about 1000 times the space, resource and is just plain silly.

True enough.

Replaced superbar with classic start menu.

Replaced start menu with clasic start menu

stopped automatic updates

removed libraries

re-enabled quicklaunch.

removed folderband.

added toolbar buttons back.

I should go through my services list and disable some other things that sounds useless, like that XPS thing mentioned previously.

your another windows past wannabe meaning you will run windows7 but why run it as windows 7 when ya can run it like windows vista or XP by Raping your system again like i said to other you may as well be running vista or XP if you have no f-ing intent on using any of windows 7 features that are one of the main reason to own windows 7 and since you diabled stuff and tweaking stuff by adding old stuff back in to some form or another your impairng windows 7 performance that way thus making the move to 7 that much more pointless

your another windows past wannabe meaning you will run windows7 but why run it as windows 7 when ya can run it like windows vista or XP by Raping your system again like i said to other you may as well be running vista or XP if you have no f-ing intent on using any of windows 7 features that are one of the main reason to own windows 7 and since you diabled stuff and tweaking stuff by adding old stuff back in to some form or another your impairng windows 7 performance that way thus making the move to 7 that much more pointless

lol, I Dual boot with xp.

None. I don't see the point in turning features off or 'optimising' the operating system - with 4 GB of RAM in my machine 10 or 20 MB being used by a service don't bother me.

We're not in 2001 anymore, trying to make XP run well on machines with 256 MB of RAM.

(Y) (Y)

the only thing i changed was for windows update to notify me before downloading any updates so i can check beforehand of what it installs as i prefer control over that and i installed faststone to replace the photo gallary but other than that all is at default settings.

Sounds like you're hardly even running Windows at this point...

I have 39 services running. That still seems like a lot to me!

I still need the following,

- Printing Support

- Manual Updates

- Audio

- Aero

- Ability to automatically connect to Wireless Networks

- System Restore

To name a few.

I have seen people run Windows 7 with only 12 services.

Out of which 7 to 9 are required.

I have 39 services running. That still seems like a lot to me!

I still need the following,

- Printing Support

- Manual Updates

- Audio

- Aero

- Ability to automatically connect to Wireless Networks

- System Restore

To name a few.

I have seen people run Windows 7 with only 12 services.

Out of which 7 to 9 are required.

In doing so, you are crippling your system.