Nintendo trademarks

Z = Z axis = 3D?

Ahhh now that sounds more like it! Especially with the way things are going in movies and the testing in gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Ninty tried to push it.

Yay more crap from Nintendo inbound :rolleyes: Forgive me for being negative, but I find it pathetic that the once invincible gaming giant can't muster something more these days other than color variations of their current products or at most a 1,000,000th minor hardware revision to the DS hardware. Gee what do they offer this season besides NSMB? Not a damn thing, thats what. The sooner Nintendo gets out of the hardware business the better.

I suspect this "Zii" will just be more of the same gimmicky garbage they've been foisting for the last few years.

Yay more crap from Nintendo inbound :rolleyes: Forgive me for being negative, but I find it pathetic that the once invincible gaming giant can't muster something more these days other than color variations of their current products or at most a 1,000,000th minor hardware revision to the DS hardware. Gee what do they offer this season besides NSMB? Not a damn thing, thats what. The sooner Nintendo gets out of the hardware business the better.

No, like it or not they make many people happy. If other people's happiness upsets you you must be pretty damn jaded.

That's coming from someone who gets little enjoyment out their Wii, but I don't have blinders on and think no one else is either.

The gaming industry needs Sony/MS and Nintendo, and I would say Sega, but they're going a good job of self destructing outside of a few of their studios still producing good titles, they seriously couldn't handle hardware again in their current state.

I suspect this "Zii" will just be more of the same gimmicky garbage they've been foisting for the last few years.

You're talking rubbish. NSMB is a better game than 90% of other developer's efforts and most developers release one or two games per 3 years. So I don't really understand your reasoning. Nintendo make fantastic products. You don't like em? Get lost then and stop wasting time posting in Nintendo threads :)

There are a lot of names they could go for.

WII

W2

WiIiI

Super Wii

Wii Entertainment System

Wii64

WiiCube

WiiWii

Wii Master System

Wii Advance

Wiicast

Wiitastic

That is a name I HOPE they do not publish..

Also, the name needs to be Japanese, and most of those names don't follow Japanese spelling.

No, like it or not they make many people happy. If other people's happiness upsets you you must be pretty damn jaded.

That's coming from someone who gets little enjoyment out their Wii, but I don't have blinders on and think no one else is either.

The gaming industry needs Sony/MS and Nintendo, and I would say Sega, but they're going a good job of self destructing outside of a few of their studios still producing good titles, they seriously couldn't handle hardware again in their current state.

Yep other people do enjoy the Wii (as I once enjoyed mine) but it seems that the enjoyment dies as soon as the novelty of the control scheme wears off. I know a ton of people that bought Wii consoles for themselves and their kinds back in 2006-07 and now they're doorstops. There simply aren't enough quality games being produced for the system outside of Nintendo headquarters and most of those are rehashes.

]You're talking rubbish. NSMB is a better game than 90% of other developer's efforts and most developers release one or two games per 3 years. So I don't really understand your reasoning. Nintendo make fantastic products. You don't like em? Get lost then and stop wasting time posting in Nintendo threads smile.gif

NSMB might be a good game, but its just another mario platformer with some new twists added. Regardless of it being a AAA game, one game (or Nintendo 1st party Development for that matter) isn't enough to keep a console alive.

This is a discussion forum for a reason. Everyone here posts their opinions so you can **** off if you don't care for mine.

Edited by VRam

You're talking rubbish. NSMB is a better game than 90% of other developer's efforts and most developers release one or two games per 3 years. So I don't really understand your reasoning. Nintendo make fantastic products. You don't like em? Get lost then and stop wasting time posting in Nintendo threads :)

Couldnt agree more and this is from someone whos sold his Wii due to it being a doorstep. Nintendo = Innovation always have and hopefully always will. They got the Wii out and fair does 3 or so yrs on its looking a bit gimmicky and old hat. But its paved the way for things like Natal.

Just remember yes Ninty are known for milking it but so far theyve also given us....

D-Pads

Analogue sticks

Rumble function

Motion Control

and a good bit more, these are just the ones that came off the top of my head.

Nowdays I dont feel Nintendo reaally caters for me, but I wont knock them theyve played a smart game for the last few years. I just wish that there was more AAA 3rd party software. For me Nintendo is now the Apple of gaming, all be it a little to family orientated.

Good job VG247 - seems like no one has paid attention to the trademark dates. They applied for these ages ago, around the same time they applied for the Wii trademark. It's called ensuring creative freedom.

Good luck with that, Creative (soundcard makers) are making an android media player and a phone called the Zii, they might have applied for the trademarks first.

They should have called it the Wii II so it will be the Wiiii!

Its not a phone, its a stemcell computer ;)

Makes it sound fancy and means they get the price 10x what it would be if they called it a "mp4 player".

Couldnt agree more and this is from someone whos sold his Wii due to it being a doorstep. Nintendo = Innovation always have and hopefully always will. They got the Wii out and fair does 3 or so yrs on its looking a bit gimmicky and old hat. But its paved the way for things like Natal.

Just remember yes Ninty are known for milking it but so far theyve also given us....

D-Pads

Analogue sticks

Rumble function

Motion Control

and a good bit more, these are just the ones that came off the top of my head.

Erm, while I don't know the history of Controller Vibration, Nintendo weren't the first on the scene with D-Pads, the only thing they added was the cross like shape for it, along with Analogue and Motion Control, all done before Nintendo used them for one of their consoles.

Nintendo are no more "innovative" than anyone else.

They are not going to get www.zii.com so fast...

And Creative will not like this move...

(Unless ZII is a portable console using Creative's Zii CPU)

My first thought when I read the thread title was perhaps they are doing something with Mii's and that this was going to be for a possible Zoo, where you can also create animals / pets. So that's why they have the Zii, Z for Zoo. Who knows though.

Wii, Zii, whatever, all ridiculous names.

All ridiculous names for the original console (Wii) that has sold more units than the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

Wii? WTF? Okay someone is going to explain where it comes from to me, but it's not something easily worked out from my end...

For some reason you must really hate Nintendo/Wii:

The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the best known is:

? Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii "

Nintendo of America's president Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:

? Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Name

Yet "the once invincible gaming giant" is "muster"ing more units (both in the console (Wii) and handheld (DS) section) than the Xbox 360 (its closest console) and the PSP (its closest handheld) (In fact, if you combine both the sales for the Xbox 360 AND the PSP in Nov 09, the DS and the Wii are doing better than both of them combined...and the Wii since day 1 gains profit off every console sold!)

On a personal note, I lean towards the Xbox 360 but numbers do not lie.

Yet "the once invincible gaming giant" is "muster"ing more units (both in the console (Wii) and handheld (DS) section) than the Xbox 360 (its closest console) and the PSP (its closest handheld) (In fact, if you combine both the sales for the Xbox 360 AND the PSP in Nov 09, the DS and the Wii are doing better than both of them combined...and the Wii since day 1 gains profit off every console sold!)

On a personal note, I lean towards the Xbox 360 but numbers do not lie.

I have always known they have sold the most consoles (by far), but what really hammered the point home for me that the Wii is the most popular console in the US right now was visiting my local Best Buy yesterday as I had gotten some Gift Cards for X Mas. I figured since I just got my Wii why not pick up Mario Kart. Seriously I am not kidding the Wii section of Best Buy was madness, no less then 10 customers there in that Wii area looking for something, needing help etc. I looked over at the 360 section, there was one guy looking at the Wireless Adapter and in the PS3 area the only activity was an Asian family, the two older kids were playing DJ Hero and the little brother was looking for a PSP game with their father.

And by the way, never got Mario Kart, as they were sold out!!! That to me is insanity that games keep selling out. New Super Mario Bros was sold out on Amazon of all places, and I know one or two retail stores around here did not even have it. Best Buy had 3 copies left that I saw.

So as a hardcore "serious" gamer, for sure, the Wii is 3rd on my list but I am fortunate enough to own all 3 consoles now and honestly I think the Wii was worth it for NewSMB alone (and Wii Sports Resort 3 Point Basketball, I love it LOL), but just because I personally do not like the games made for the console, the simple truth is, as you pointed out, the Wii and DS is owning the competition. This cannot be denied or dismissed.

So whatever this Zii winds up being, it will make them money for sure.