Heart Hurts When Sleeping On My Left Side

Has anyone experienced this? When you're sleeping on your left side, sometimes, during the middle of the night, or in the morning, you'll have a sharp pain in that area (I don't know if it's the actual heart or the muscles or the ribs) but it really woke me up today at like 9AM and I felt like WTF WAS GOING ON? It just scared me a bit. I'm only 21, although I am only 115 pounds, and 5'9" in heigh, although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone experienced this??

Has anyone experienced this? When you're sleeping on your left side, sometimes, during the middle of the night, or in the morning, you'll have a sharp pain in that area (I don't know if it's the actual heart or the muscles or the ribs) but it really woke me up today at like 9AM and I felt like WTF WAS GOING ON? It just scared me a bit. I'm only 21, although I am only 115 pounds, and 5'9" in heigh, although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone experienced this??

No, obviously this is not normal. go to a doctor and have it checked out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not any physical problem. I just figured it's because I'm so skinny that my chest is more "expose", I would say, to the bed's mattress. But yeah, I do sleep on my right side.

Sounds like something I used to get. It felt like my heart area was getting crushed. I thought it was maybe because stuff was crumpling in when I lay sideways too long or something like that.

It doesn't matter how old you are about having heart problems. People at ANY AGE can develop any type of medical problems. Especially the heart. And heart attacks happens because it COULD, not because of your actions (like being fat or too skinny). It just being fat just increases the chances of heart diseases.

NO matter how healthy or young or old you are, you CAN have medical problems. So if you are having this often, GO and see a doctor.

My parents are health workers and they told me this countless times in an attempt to get me to lose weight (that I'm a 130kg guy).

Yeah I just hope it's muscle or positioning because I'm too young to have heart problems. It's just in that general area.

No you're not, really. Age is a factor in terms of risk of some medical conditions but it's not definate "can't possibly get it at this age". Young people are at lower risk for strokes, I believe, but it doesn't mean they never have them.

Any kind of chest pain should always be checked out by a qualified doctor; it just isn't worth the risk that something more serious is going on.

As to the weight issue, a lot of younger people grow faster than they can put on weight and end up super skinny for a while. As long as you are eating a healthy diet you are probably ok and the weight will catch up later. But again, talking to a doctor about it might not be a bad idea since being underweight and/or malnourished for long periods of time can have some dire consequences on your health.

Go and get it checked out. I was having some odd pains on the right side of my chest, and it turned out to be the calcification of the cartilage around my ribs (making them less flexible and causing pain depending on how I moved).

I'm 5'6", and I weigh 125lbs. I'm what you call 'fit'. Nice healthy balance of fat and muscle.. and I never get ill.

When I was super skinny (~100lbs) I used to get what I call a 'squelchy chest', haha. My body was that thin I could see my heart beating through my chest and when I lay down it made odd noises. So don't rule out anything.. Go and get seen to.

I'm also a doctor, and I'm also telling you to go see a doctor.

It's unlikely to be something serious related to the heart, but it's almost always best to rule some things out and get some reassurance. Remember, there's a whole host of conditions that you've never heard of that "always happen to someone else, right?"

It's ALWAYS when I'm in an awkward position when sleeping or when slouching on my office chair. I'm almost 100% sure it's the positioning. I, like the previous poster, can see my heart beating when looking at myself and it's kinda creepy. Either way, if it happens again in the next week, I'll let you guys know. But as always, and like I said before, it's almost ALWAYS when I'm on my left side of the chest, and sleeping.

And besides, if I do get it checked, what will they do? CT scan? Do I have to not eat/drink or do I have to drink like some weird metal so the scanners can read?